add amp or get new reciever

S

smokey007

Audioholic Intern
i wanna upgrade my sytem. currently have an onkyo tx-sr701 reciever running axioms m60tis, vp150, and three qs8s with a vtf3 mk2 sub from hsu. my two choices are either get a new reciever or add a amp. my two picks are either the denon 3805 or the parasound 5250 five channel amp. my onkyo is 100 watts in 8ohms and 125 in 6ohms. the denon 3805 is 130 watts in 8omhs and 160 watts in 6ohms. the parasound is 250 watts x 5 in 8 ohm and 385 x 5 in 4ohm. don't know what its specs are in 6ohms. the prices are 1799 canadian for the denon 3400 for the parasound amp. i like the sound of my system as is. but i do feel that with a little more power dialouge would be easier too hear. so should i keep my onkyo as processer and add the parasound amp. or should i get the denon 3805.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Keep the Onkyo as a processor. If you like the way it sounds, the Denon won't add the power you are looking for. I will eventually get a quality two channel amp for my 3805 for my bi amped towers.

S

smokey007

Audioholic Intern
thanks for your input. thats what i'm probally going to do for the simple reason like ya say the denon isn't much more powerfull then the onkyo. i'm going to try the parasound out. also it well have more then enough power to power the speakers i have and if i want later i can upgrade my fronts to m80ti's and have more then enough power for them two.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The amp for sure. Can you get Adcom there? Great stuff for a killer price. Customer service is top notch.

S

smokey007

Audioholic Intern
no i don't think i've seen anybody sell them where i'm at. the only ones are parasound, aragon, and rotel. the aragons are out of my price range and i haven't had a chance to hear rotel. parasound is in my range now since the classic line came out or else they were way to much for the halos also.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have heard Parasound are good. Also Rotel. I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 with an Adcom 7605. It works well. You will not notice much, if any, of a sound level difference. But, at high levels, the clarity and detail will be amazing. The sound will stay clean as you increase the volume, and your receiver will just idle. It's nice. :D

S

smokey007

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the tip on adcom just found some dealers. wholly smokes some nice deals. lookin at the gfa 7805 and the 5503. 7805 is 3499 probally get it for 3000. the 5503 is 2199 probally be able to get some off that two. running more whats then parasound and its cheaper. just don't now which one to get. what do you guys think power the fronts and center only with 5503 or get the 7805 for the whole setup. i don't now if the rears and surround back well need that much more wattage then there getting now.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Fronts and center is plenty with your receiver.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
5503 would do the trick. Surrounds don't need much. I went with a five channel because I found a killer deal at the time.

7805 would be nice if you get a better deal! :D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Man, that 7807 is a nice unit. Are those amps known for their headroom?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
My head fits in the room just fine! :D I can't comment on that term, but they are great amps. You may have to search around for a review. :confused:

Stereophool

S

smokey007

Audioholic Intern
very nice the 7805 would get it if i knew i would'nt be wasting money for surrounds that won't use the extra wattage. still might depends how much i can get knocked off the price. but if its not needed for the surround i'll probaly go for the 5503.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis