Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm getting ready to check if my new TV can play VOB files off of an SD card. I don't have high expectations, but I'll be quite pleased if it can.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I have the Avia II disc that is copyright 2007. The DVE disc that I have is copyright 1997.
Oh you mean just Video Essentials Not Digital Video Essentials (2003). Yeah that is old and only for CRT. Avia 2 will be perfect.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm getting ready to check if my new TV can play VOB files off of an SD card. I don't have high expectations, but I'll be quite pleased if it can.
No dice. At least, not how I tried it.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
adam, if you are going to use the break in dvd, i recommend waiting to calibrat till after:)

majorloser

majorloser

Nice TV, Adam. Did you consider going bigger?
He's still got plenty of room to hang a drop down screen from the overhang above that set. We'll have him moved up to a front projection system before too much longer. Just drop the screen in front of the flat panel and fire up the projector. :cool:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You should've used that to calibrate your 13" while it was there (even if it was only for the photo op)!
I did. :D Honestly, it made a huge difference in how enjoyable it was to watch. That monitor has a good picture to it.

adam, if you are going to use the break in dvd, i recommend waiting to calibrat till after:)
Thanks. Question - how important/useful is it to play that break-in DVD?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Nice TV, Adam. Did you consider going bigger?
I did, but 50" is good for me. It's a nice, comfortable viewing angle from both my couch and my chair. Had I asked Doug to "go Doug" on Amazon, I might have had a 54" right now, though. :D

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I did, but 50" is good for me. It's a nice, comfortable viewing angle from both my couch and my chair. Had I asked Doug to "go Doug" on Amazon, I might have had a 54" right now, though. :D
50" is a pretty big display. It makes a nice addition to your room. Still hard to believe you're only on day two of looking at an HD screen. Its almost like your 12000 posts are somehow justified now...

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
The break-in dvd, or sd-card files are useful but not necessary.

From my understanding all PDP phosphors age the quickest in the first 100-150 hours. By using the break-in images you can insure that this aging takes place evenly for all the phosphors in the panel. This gives you a meaningful baseline from which to calibrate from.

If you calibrate prior to this aging of the phosphors, you may find that after a 120 hours or so you need to go back and recalibrate.

If you go out on a limb, and believe some people, you can actually use each others adjustments if you have the same type of panel, and used the same break-in process. Some may argue against this, but I took this approach and dove into my service menu and made offset adjustment to my S1 based on the results of someone else’s ISF calibration report. You just have to know the offsets, not the hex values. I then verified the end results with a calibration DVD I have and found the results to be nearly spot on. I made a few minor tweaks in the user menu, and things appear to be perfect for me now.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Ive used it with both of my displays, and when we have done installs where time permits. The idea of even phosphor break-in helping the display is common is the ISF community;) Either way wait till at least 100hrs to run a calibration disc.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
From my understanding all PDP phosphors age the quickest in the first 100-150 hours. By using the break-in images you can insure that this aging takes place evenly for all the phosphors in the panel. This gives you a meaningful baseline from which to calibrate from.
The idea of even phosphor break-in helping the display is common is the ISF community;) Either way wait till at least 100hrs to run a calibration disc.
Thanks, you two! I now finally get it. I thought that it was about preventing image retention (don't ask me why...probably because I'm a bit slow), but that makes a lot more sense to me.

L

ldgibson76

Junior Audioholic
In case you missed this post I submitted two days ago......

Hello Adam.

The new Panny looks good! Congratulations! Your patience has paid off and I admire how you handled Amazon and the whole delivery process. The bottom line is that you have the TV and you're happy with your purchase.
Happy viewing and again, congrats!

By the way, I just picked up a NIB Sony BDP-S550 for $249.00! There are some nice deals to had out there if you really look!

Regards.
Regards.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
IIRC the oppo will do 480i over hdmi,dont hold me to though. IMO tou should pass thru all signals native to the display,just a thought

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I just turned down everything for the first 100 hours and then calibrated with DVE. Never had any issues.

The set up looks awesome. Enjoy!
I did. :D Honestly, it made a huge difference in how enjoyable it was to watch. That monitor has a good picture to it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis