Adam Hall speaker pads and making your own pads questions?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I bought a pair of Auralex Mopad XL's because I needed something for center channel which is a Studio monitor 65 from Def Tech. Now I only needed one, but had to buy two because they only sell them in pairs. Well today I took the remaining one and put it under my left main speaker, another SM 65. Well I really like what it does to the sound. I think it really makes the speaker sound better. I really don't want to spend 50 bucks on another set from Auralex. Are the Adam Halls pads just as good? They look the same but are they just as good? Also what material would I need and where would I get it if I wanted to make my own? The Auralex ones are very sturdy, very good material, they don't compress one bit so its not just any foam. Thanks for any help.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I bought a pair of Auralex Mopad XL's because I needed something for center channel which is a Studio monitor 65 from Def Tech. Now I only needed one, but had to buy two because they only sell them in pairs. Well today I took the remaining one and put it under my left main speaker, another SM 65. Well I really like what it does to the sound. I think it really makes the speaker sound better. I really don't want to spend 50 bucks on another set from Auralex. Are the Adam Halls pads just as good? They look the same but are they just as good? Also what material would I need and where would I get it if I wanted to make my own? The Auralex ones are very sturdy, very good material, they don't compress one bit so its not just any foam. Thanks for any help.
I cant wait to see what comments come in about your post. Its mothers day so hopefully everyone is in a charitable mood.

For myself, I am neutral on pads for your bookshelf speakers. If you like them and feel they add something to the listening experience, keep going.

I believe the science supporting any audible benefit may be non existent, but there will be audio reviewers that will write something to support the idea.

Just as an fyi, before I joined AH and before I became much more focused on the science behind my hobby, I bought some bamboo slabs to put my bookshelf speakers on. I was so happy with them I got a bigger slab of bamboo for my receiver to rest on. I love the way it looks. Does it sound better? Of course it does. I paid for that stuff so of course it does. :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I cant wait to see what comments come in about your post. Its mothers day so hopefully everyone is in a charitable mood.

For myself, I am neutral on pads for your bookshelf speakers. If you like them and feel they add something to the listening experience, keep going.

I believe the science supporting any audible benefit may be non existent, but there will be audio reviewers that will write something to support the idea.

Just as an fyi, before I joined AH and before I became much more focused on the science behind my hobby, I bought some bamboo slabs to put my bookshelf speakers on. I was so happy with them I got a bigger slab of bamboo for my receiver to rest on. I love the way it looks. Does it sound better? Of course it does. I paid for that stuff so of course it does. :D
Yeah I know its a touchy subject, but I'm not looking for a lecture or a fight. I'm just looking for honest opinion on the two products. I personally like what it does, just not at 50 bucks. The Adam Hall ones are 22 bucks which yes are still too much for foam, but better than 50 bucks. I looked on Home depot's website and could find anything I really liked. Thanks for trying to help, appreciate the heads up on the sarcasm about to come my way.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I know its a touchy subject, but I'm not looking for a lecture or a fight. I'm just looking for honest opinion on the two products. I personally like what it does, just not at 50 bucks. The Adam Hall ones are 22 bucks which yes are still too much for foam, but better than 50 bucks. I looked on Home depot's website and could find anything I really liked. Thanks for trying to help, appreciate the heads up on the sarcasm about to come my way.
Ikea. Bamboo cutting boards. Choose your size. About $8 bucks. In a pinch you can use them to make a salad.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks guys I actually found a pair for 13 bucks, free shipping. They look like they are good quality and made in the USA which was an awesome bonus. Should be here 3 days and I'll report back on quality.
I know this is a controversial subject in home theater and I did not believe the BS that I heard about isolation pads but I am a believer myself now. I think it made a very big difference. Just my opinion, just what I hear. I don't expect anyone to follow or agree. I thought it was all BS till i tried them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks guys I actually found a pair for 13 bucks, free shipping. They look like they are good quality and made in the USA which was an awesome bonus. Should be here 3 days and I'll report back on quality.
I know this is a controversial subject in home theater and I did not believe the BS that I heard about isolation pads but I am a believer myself now. I think it made a very big difference. Just my opinion, just what I hear. I don't expect anyone to follow or agree. I thought it was all BS till i tried them.

Just curious....how do you a/b compare with/without? Do you have someone else help you out with a blind test of some sort? How about comparing it to a folded up towel or some other handy household material underneath the speaker?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just curious....how do you a/b compare with/without? Do you have someone else help you out with a blind test of some sort? How about comparing it to a folded up towel or some other handy household material underneath the speaker?
Just comparing how it sounded without, which I know and what I hear with it under. To me it made a nice difference. It's not like the end of the world without it, but I like the sound better with it. It gives the speaker a floating in the air kind of sound like there is nothing underneath it. I know if Gene were to read this he'd have a stroke. I don't believe in 50,000 dollar HDMI cables, or 100 things dollar speaker wire that require a battery but on this one, isolation pads I'm a believer. Sorry guys, I am.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

As with all these vague audio vague claims, there is never any measurements or any kind of data to support them. But then, how do we measure figments of the imagination?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
As with all these vague audio vague claims, there is never any measurements or any kind of data to support them. But then, how do we measure figments of the imagination?
Ok, I knew this is what this would turn into. Mods, please delete entire thread. Jesus Christ keep an open mind for a god dam second. Read the posts.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not looking for a lecture or a fight.
What the hell are you doing here then? :D

I use MoPads under some small bookshelves which sit on a dresser and those Gamma things under a couple of subs. Not all foam is created equal.

Decoupling speakers from resonant surfaces sounds like the way to go if you ask me.

The a/b thing isn't easy to do with speakers but stir a cup of coffee on a counter. Pick the cup up while continuing to stir. The sound changes. The same should apply to speakers, right?

EDIT: The bamboo thing is complete bullshit though. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What the hell are you doing here then? :D

I use MoPads under some small bookshelves which sit on a dresser and those Gamma things under a couple of subs. Not all foam is created equal.

Decoupling speakers from resonant surfaces sounds like the way to go if you ask me.

The a/b thing isn't easy to do with speakers but stir a cup of coffee on a counter. Pick the cup up while continuing to stir. The sound changes. The same should apply to speakers, right?

EDIT: The bamboo thing is complete bullshit though. :D
Bamboo thing?

I clicked on your past hurt in recovery thing....you're in Drain?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just comparing how it sounded without, which I know and what I hear with it under. To me it made a nice difference. It's not like the end of the world without it, but I like the sound better with it. It gives the speaker a floating in the air kind of sound like there is nothing underneath it. I know if Gene were to read this he'd have a stroke. I don't believe in 50,000 dollar HDMI cables, or 100 things dollar speaker wire that require a battery but on this one, isolation pads I'm a believer. Sorry guys, I am.

I'd need to be convinced via a blind test myself, been fooled by sonic memories before let alone the new toy thing. Perhaps I've just not got resonant mounts/surfaces to make a difference in my experiments with such....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, I knew this is what this would turn into. Mods, please delete entire thread. Jesus Christ keep an open mind for a god dam second. Read the posts.

Whoah, calm down dude. This a forum. Differing opinions are gonna happen. Don't take it personally. You know you like your speakers with the pads underneath, by all means do it.

Post back here with your findings on the cheaper pads. Do you have a link to them? I'm still loosely considering something along those lines, if for any reason to get my mains angled down a little more. If they're only 12 bucks, why not?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I'm gonna change my nick into DBT and rain my opinions over the forums. He, he...

I got advice about which speakers to buy right here in these forums. People who advised me on my purchase often referred to how inert/silent my boxes will be, but I couldn’t even imagine until I bought them, cranked them up and placed my palm on the box. It’s like they’re not even playing.

As I understand, padding should separate furniture from the speakers, but since my boxes are so “calm” when playing, I simply used the four 3mm small rubber circles that came with them and I’m not thinking about that, next step being nice stands anyway.

My furniture still resonates, of course, but I have a feeling this is conveyed through air-waves. When I place my palm on a piece of furniture I can actually feel more than from the speaker itself.

There use to be various experiments with resonating speaker boxes from Saba, Telefunken, Sony, Grundig and others. Perhaps these would transfer more vibrations to furniture if placed upon a piece.
RESO003.jpg

I remember my father telling me stories about people who couldn’t afford some nice noise boxes and then buying drivers, cutting holes in a wardrobe and inserting drivers in. That must have been some hi-fi experience right there! :)

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It's not the differing of opinions that bother me, that's what makes the world go round. It's the snarky responses and inability to have an open mind. Everyone on here is constantly judging here.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've used them for a while on my speakers. Where I feel the benefit is, the vibration from the speaker is not transmitted into whatever it is sitting on. Without the cabinet directly passing vibration into things like the entertainment center and speaker stands, it seems to give me what I feel is a less colored sound.

For their INTENDED use, which is near field on a desktop/studio, they'd be used to angle them up or down depending on placement to get the best imaging. People complain about them because of price, but I've found them to work.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I've used them for a while on my speakers. Where I feel the benefit is, the vibration from the speaker is not transmitted into whatever it is sitting on. Without the cabinet directly passing vibration into things like the entertainment center and speaker stands, it seems to give me what I feel is a less colored sound.

For their INTENDED use, which is near field on a desktop/studio, they'd be used to angle them up or down depending on placement to get the best imaging. People complain about them because of price, but I've found them to work.
I agree with that post very much. Very true on all points.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis