Adagio Zen Adagio not blowing me away.

C

Chipbyrd

Audioholic Intern
OK, this was a surprise. *I picked up a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagios yesterday to replace my Klipsch RF-83's. *I thought the AZA's would blow the 83's away. *Not so much.

Let me begin with a disclaimer. *I spent a lot of time placing the 83's and getting the toed in just right. *Haven't done that with the AZA's yet, neither have I installed the outriggers. *Tonight I will spend time tweaking them. *So my initial reactions are based on the AZA's setting where the Klipsch sat.

Initial reaction: AZA's are pristine in the top end. *They truly sparkle. *The soundstage has deepened over my Klipsch. They definitely provide incredible detail. * The bass is fast and tight, but I find it lacking a bit. *Again, I will have to lay around with placement, but if I keep the AZA's I will likely add a sub or two. *

I think I prefer the AZA's, but I am surprised they didn't knock my socks off. *The*
Klipsch lack the finesse of the AZA's, but seem to fill the room better especially in the lower end. My room 17' x 21' and is treated with bass traps and some absorption. *I was using Cambridge Audio 840w 840e separates.

Tonight I will fiddle with placement toe in, etc. *Any advice from AZA owners about placement? *Will the outriggers make a substantial difference? *So far, only moderately impressed.

Thanks, Chip

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Spend more time with the Acoustic Zen's, as you might simply be used to what you had and need to time determine if you like the new sound. Also, I wouldn't judge what a speaker does below 200Hz, as the room dominates the sound at that point. Cross both to a subwoofer and compare that way, as it'll be a more apples to apples scenario.

The weekend is almost here, so enjoy it by listening to a bunch of music and watching some movies; keep whichever speaker you prefer after a few weeks of serious listening.

C

Chipbyrd

Audioholic Intern
Adagios

Thanks. No, I am not giving up on them. I just honk they are going to be finicky and I need to spend the time. I will put the outriggers on this evening.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure why you'd expect them to blow you away. That's just not a well-designed speaker. In fact, I can't think of anything the designer got right: wide driver spacing, sharp edges around the tweeter, no directivity control at the bottom of the tweeter's passband..

The "pristine treble" you're hearing is more likely than not a massive mushroom cloud of midrange energy in the 3-5kHz range, stemming from the speaker's fundamentally poor design.

Such a flawed design is likely to require all sorts of unsightly band-aids around the room to make them listenable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis