M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Does anybody own a processor or amp from Acurus? If you do, what do you have to say about the product(s).

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I used to own their products back in the mid nineties. I had both the Acurus and Aragon brands from Mondial Designs out of New York state. It was okay.

But my old Yamaha integrated amp sounded just as good. I eventually sold all my separates.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own their products back in the mid nineties. I had both the Acurus and Aragon brands from Mondial Designs out of New York state. It was okay.

But my old Yamaha integrated amp sounded just as good. I eventually sold all my separates.
I knew you were going to post. It's like going to an Acurus reunion. :D

Yeah, I used to own Acurus components back in 1990s.

My 7.1 Acurus Analog System:

Even today, the Acurus ACT4 Pre-pro is more about ANALOG than digital, except for the 7.3.6 Dolby Atmos/DTSX surround sound.

No Auto Room Correction, which is perfectly fine with me since I don't ever use auto room correction.

I didn't see any mention of a manual Parametric EQ, which I would want to have.

I always loved the Acurus/Aragon aesthetics. Today the aesthetics is still awesome.

The only thing not awesome is the price.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"I knew you were going to post. It's like going to an Acurus reunion."

I love it! LOL! Your pics bring back such great memories! We'll have to get together some day and talk about our Acurus adventures.

Maybe I'll write a book, it will be called "Whistling speakers!" "My Acurus audiophile adventures"

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I knew you were going to post. It's like going to an Acurus reunion. :D

Yeah, I used to own Acurus components back in 1990s.

My 7.1 Acurus Analog System:

Even today, the Acurus ACT4 Pre-pro is more about ANALOG than digital, except for the 7.3.6 Dolby Atmos/DTSX surround sound.

No Auto Room Correction, which is perfectly fine with me since I don't ever use auto room correction.

I didn't see any mention of a manual Parametric EQ, which I would want to have.

I always loved the Acurus/Aragon aesthetics. Today the aesthetics is still awesome.

The only thing not awesome is the price.

That's a hellaof alot of amps on that rack. haha.

They have a new(er) product called Muse which is a 16 channel processor. Starts at $5500. Has some very solid reviews about it. I am interested in their ACT 4 product. I think they updated it a year or so ago. Is very user friendly. I think it is priced in the $10 range. Which isn't bad when they're trying to compete against the big dog in that specific market.

Also, I agree, having or not having room correction is not a make or break for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's a hellaof alot of amps on that rack. haha.

They have a new(er) product called Muse which is a 16 channel processor. Starts at $5500. Has some very solid reviews about it. I am interested in their ACT 4 product. I think they updated it a year or so ago. Is very user friendly. I think it is priced in the $10 range. Which isn't bad when they're trying to compete against the big dog in that specific market.

Also, I agree, having or not having room correction is not a make or break for me.
Ouch! The ACT4 is $10K?

Goodness gracious. Back in the good old days, I almost bought the $1800 ACT3, which was more like $1300 on sale.

Oh, nostalgia. :D

Ok, I just checked out the $5,500 (also ouch!) Acurus MUSE pre-pro. I only see 11Ch + 1 Sub output. So that's more like 7.1.4 or 5.1.6.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Ouch! The ACT4 is $10K?

Goodness gracious. Back in the good old days, I almost bought the $1800 ACT3, which was more like $1300 on sale.

Oh, nostalgia. :D

Ok, I just checked out the $5,500 (also ouch!) Acurus MUSE pre-pro. I only see 11Ch + 1 Sub output. So that's more like 7.1.4 or 5.1.6.

It must be expandable up to 16. Their website claims 16. More 15 + 1. If it was a 12 channel at $5500 i could see that being expensive, but price seems reasonable with 16 channels. Comparable to other processors on the market. I would feel more comfortable purchasing an Acurus over Emotiva.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Movie2099, I'm sure the new Acurus products are designed and built well, but I think you could do much better by just investing in a nice AVR. I think you would be happy with a new Yamaha AVR. It would be able to fulfill all your music/theater needs for far less money than all those boutique brands.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Movie2099, I'm sure the new Acurus products are designed and built well, but I think you could do much better by just investing in a nice AVR. I think you would be happy with a new Yamaha AVR. It would be able to fulfill all your music/theater needs for far less money than all those boutique brands.
Oh I will be getting better that's for sure. Trinnov or ATI's new 16 channel processor. I currently have a Pioneer AVR, but in my next theater I will be going all separates. AVR's are cool for entry level stuff like what I have now, but my next theater will be high end. Thinking around $100k+ range. I'll get an AVR for my upstairs TV. I'll probably go with Denon next time. Nothing against Yamaha, but right now I like Denon. I'd sell my Pioneer, but it's doing it's job and it's fine with me. Don't feel like investing any more money into the current setup. Except maybe a next gen console... PS5 or Xbox?.......hmmmmm

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
".....but my next theater will be high end. Thinking around $100k+ range."

Wow. You must have a nice house.

R

RickyT

Audioholic Intern
Back in 2003, I read Gene's review of the Aragon Soundstage prepro with 8008x5 107 lb amp. It "coerced" me to buying them for myself. And later, I went went crazy and bought 3 used Palladium II monoblocks to drive my NHT 3.3 towers and AC2....beautiful amps, I think the first 100 watts was pure Class A. I owned various other Aragon and Acurus products throughout the years.

aragon-palladium-ii-mono-consecutive-serial-numbers.jpg

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Back in 2003, I read Gene's review of the Aragon Soundstage prepro with 8008x5 107 lb amp. It "coerced" me to buying them for myself. And later, I went went crazy and bought 3 used Palladium II monoblocks to drive my NHT 3.3 towers and AC2....beautiful amps, I think the first 100 watts was pure Class A. I owned various other Aragon and Acurus products throughout the years.

View attachment 37462
I remember those. Nice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis