av-man

av-man

Audioholic
What are your thoughts on active speakers like Genelec? I have not had any experience with them but I am interested if any of you have, and what you liked or disliked about them.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I've run into Genelecs many times over the years in recording studios. Their sonic signiture was always way too bright for me and most other people I know. However, I did recently mix a song with a producer using the newer 8000 series monitors, and I liked them much better. I know Genelec is now marketing a HT package, and I would like to hear how that sounds. I'm not at all a fan of receivers, and would welcome the idea of powered monitors. Someone I work with bought a pair of KRK powered monitors mated with a tube pre-amp and he likes it a lot (I haven't heard it myself). Another, more affordable option from Genelec is also Event and Mackie.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
Active speakers, if done right, can be really great. Those of you who have been around for awhile might remember the Powered Advent speakers of the mid- to late-70s. These were basically the same speakers as regular Large Advents (actually the "New Large Advant"), with a simple 2-way acoustic suspension design. But, they had a pair of amps built into each speaker, so you could drive them directly from a pre-amp. They were essentially giving you a bi-amped set-up. The improvement in sound over the regular New Large Advents was pretty substantial.

A current high-end example would be Meridian speakers, which take active speakers the further step of being "digital bits in, sound out". These sound great, but are not cheap.

The main arguments for integrating power amps with the speakers is that you can then tailor the size, frequency response, and gain of each amp, so that it is optimized for its specific speaker driver. If you are just putting a single amp into the speaker cabinet, and using it to drive all of its drivers, then the advantages are much less.

F

funk-o-meter

Audioholic Intern
I've really liked most powered systems I've heard. A lot. Especially the ones engineered well by good companies. I think if you had 1000 bucks to spend on a good system, I'd get a good preamp, a decent universal player and a set of Event 20/20 bas.

9f9c7z

Banned
If everything else were equal, would there be a preference between:

a. running 20-ft of speaker wire as with a traditional amp/speaker scenario, or
b. running 20-ft of interconnect cable between the pre/pro and powered speaker's amp?

Or is it even an issue that needs to be considered with powered speakers?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis