B

BobCSmith

Audiophyte
I'm setting up a new home theater room (and don;t want to break the bank)
I'm debating between the Acoustech home theater set-up and using BIC Venturi speakers (DV62CLR, 4-DV62si, sub?)...the room is 11X17 (may go 5.1 or 7.1, haven't decided on this). Room will mostly be used for movies and gaming. How do these speakers compare in sound? Which would be the better way to go?
Relating to the BIC's...how big of a difference does the ED Frias upgrade make. Also, I spoke with ED, he suggested if going with the BIC's and if using a seperate Sub, don't use the BIC 64's, it would be too much bass, what is eveyone else opinions here.
Any help appreciated..thanks

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
BobCSmith said:
I'm setting up a new home theater room (and don;t want to break the bank)
I'm debating between the Acoustech home theater set-up and using BIC Venturi speakers (DV62CLR, 4-DV62si, sub?)...the room is 11X17 (may go 5.1 or 7.1, haven't decided on this). Room will mostly be used for movies and gaming. How do these speakers compare in sound? Which would be the better way to go?
Relating to the BIC's...how big of a difference does the ED Frias upgrade make. Also, I spoke with ED, he suggested if going with the BIC's and if using a seperate Sub, don't use the BIC 64's, it would be too much bass, what is eveyone else opinions here.
Any help appreciated..thanks
As for the acoustech's vs. BIC, I have not heard either. I plan to buy the BIC's. I think that the acoustech's are meant as a direct competition with the klipsch speakers. They have horn tweeters as well. I think the highs are quite high, some say bright. It's a different sound. I'd say listen to some Klipsch speakers if you can't find the acoustechs. If you don't like them, then you probably won't like the acoustech's either.

I am surprised Ed would say that two 6 1/2 inch woofers in each from speaker would produce too much base. What would produce the LFE tracks in HT? I would say that you would need a sub unless you listen to things with no bass or have at least 10's in your towers. I am curious to what others think. Are you sure that's what he said? :confused:

Pat

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
The biggest difference is horn vs dome tweeters

Bob - I recently went through a very similar decision, which led me to the BIC Venturi's. However, based on what you've indicated, the Acoustech's might work better for you.

First of all, the biggest difference between the two is the tweeter system. The Venturi's use a dome tweeter and the Acoustechs use a horn system. This create's a sound difference, which becomes a matter of personal taste. If you can't listen to the BIC speakers (I know I couldn't where I live very easily), try to get out and listen to Klipsch speakers with a horn tweeter, compared to another speaker with dome tweeters.

From what I have heard, the horn tweeters work particularly well when the application is movies vs. music, so that might lead you more towards the Acoustechs. The downside to horns is that some feel they sound too harsh or "bright", but as I said, that is a matter of personal taste.

Some other considerations: I like the looks of the Acoustechs (with the high gloss lacquer tops and bottoms), although the Venturi's look nice too (just not as stylish). Also, the Acoustechs are more efficient than the Venturi's, which means they produce more sound with less power. Therefore, if your receiver has lower power, you may get better sound from the Acoustechs.

For me, I have (or I should say will have) a higher-powered receiver, and I tend to listen to more music than movies. I also prefer the sound of the dome tweeter with the kind of music I listen to. So I went with the Venturi's.

Anyway, those are just some things to consider. Both systems are a great value, and I'm sure you will happy either way. Lots of luck.

J

JeffB

Enthusiast
horn tweeters

Horns can have a very dynamic sound. The high frequencies come through with an extremely quick snap to them. This quickness is just not matched with a dome tweeter. The sound can be addicting to some people. The downside is that this speed comes with some coloration of the sound. It is a classic case of tradeoff and a reminder that no speaker is perfect. It is the horn tweeter that allows these speakers to have 96db sensitivity. Dome tweeters can't usually be that sensitive.

Horns are found almost exclusively in pro sound. Go to any night club and take a look and listen to their speakers. They probably have horns in them. The sound seems to work very well for Rock, Metal, Pop and Dance music. I personally am a bit torn between which sound I prefer. I have yet to hear a Klipsch speaker that I like. Yet I have been to some night clubs where the sound literally blows me away. Night clubs tend to use 12" or 15" woofers with a horn tweeter. The big woofer results in some loss of midrange detail in exchange for great dynamic punch.

All of the above is a big generalization. I am sure there are exceptions to everything I just said.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I have the acoustech center and it is anything but bright, could be my room too though, all carpet with a few couches and drywall walls, but it is not bright. I have heard klipsch centers and they are bright and a little to harsh for me, would be taxing trying to watch a movie or two with that tweeter. The bic acoustech is very smooth and it is clear as crystal with vocals, and yes....I have bass coming from a center channel, first time I've ever had that. Personally I like the look of the Acoustechs more myself the glass black looks great. Its a tough decision, I think think it would come down more to what kind of music you listened to, rock/pop or more classical/jazz types. Acoustechs for rock/pop vs. the Venturis for classical/jazz

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I have the DV62SI bookshelves and they ROCK. These little things have some serious bass (like, down towards 40Hz). I've cranked them up till I literally had to put on hearing protection to approach the receiver situated between them and they showed no signs of distress and still sounded great through my hearing protection.

I haven't heard chuffing, rattling, or anything. They're great speakers. That said, they are somewhat bright (very apparent if you listen to Steely Dan's Hey Nineteen). I've been listening to a lot of stuff recently, mostly classic rock and jazz. I have yet to try it out with my pop stuff (can't find my Audioslave or Maroon 5 CDs :( ).

I plan on getting the mods done on my speakers and reporting back. They're too bright for me to love them long time. I mean, I'm not getting rid of them, not by a long shot, but for me to be 100% satisfied (as opposed to the 98% I feel right now), I need to tone down the brightness.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis