AC Infinity AIRCOM T8, amp/receiver cooler.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I just got an Aircom T8 for my Onkyo M508, which, as they do, runs really hot. It came very well packed in a tough cardboard box inside a shipping box. As soon as you pick up the box, it's obvious it's a well made item. It's heavy, with a steel case and comes with a little booklet that explains all the functions and how to set them, and a wall wart power supply. There is a bright reverse(White characters on a black background) LCD readout on the front panel that can be seen across the room. I would estimate that the area above the heat sinks on my M508 is well over 120 degrees F, at moderate volume. The cats love to lay on it, and that was another good reason to buy it, just to keep the hair out of it. I put it on top of the amp and turned it on. The air coming out of the back was cool at first, then it started warming up. The display rose from 75F to 108F in a couple of minutes, and then it began dropping. Eventually it went to 89F, and would occasionally show 90F. I left it on there a couple of hours then cranked up the volume to as loud as I could possibly ever run it in my apartment, and it never showed a higher temp than 91F. I left it set at full speed and before I left, I muted my system and I could just barely hear the fans when I got my head within about a foot of the T8, and barely even then. I lifted up the T8 and felt the top of the M508 and it was barely warm. My Yamaha TRS-7810 runs much warmer than the M508 does now. I may buy another unit for the Yamaha. If you have any amp or receiver that tends to run warm, the T8, or one of the slightly cheaper units without the readout, with top or rear exhaust, is a simple clean and reasonably priced solution. This is one of those products that I don't really think can be improved, except maybe by putting the power supply inside the unit itself.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
No problem, I didn't know about it either until a few weeks ago, when I just happened across it when I was looking for ideas on how to cool my amp off without it looking like crap or taking a lot of effort to build something.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Update. I don't know why, but the temp display now shows it's dropped a couple of degrees on average than it did out of the box. Running at 86-88 degrees now. Even better. Maybe the fans are broken in and running faster?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis