Absorption and diffuser panels help for isolation for neighbors?

JimmyH

JimmyH

Audiophyte
Hi,

I life in a small apartment (in the Netherlands) and was wondering if using diffuser and absorption panels would help to minimize sound spillage to my neighbors below me?

So I can keep my neighbors (somewhat) happy

my setup (so far ;-)) :
Denon AVR-X3600H
1x SVS SB1000 sub
1x Energy ESW-CS8 sub
2x Klipsch RP-4000F
2x SVS Prime Elevations for Atmos
4x Energy RC-Micro-satellite
1x Energy RC-Micro-center

The Energy speakers are from my very first Energy RC Micro 5.1 speaker surround set I bought quite a few years ago.

Any advise?
Thank you

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,

I life in a small apartment (in the Netherlands) and was wondering if using diffuser and absorption panels would help to minimize sound spillage to my neighbors below me?

So I can keep my neighbors (somewhat) happy

my setup (so far ;-)) :
Denon AVR-X3600H
1x SVS SB1000 sub
1x Energy ESW-CS8 sub
2x Klipsch RP-4000F
2x SVS Prime Elevations for Atmos
4x Energy RC-Micro-satellite
1x Energy RC-Micro-center

The Energy speakers are from my very first Energy RC Micro 5.1 speaker surround set I bought quite a few years ago.

Any advise?
Thank you
Welcome to AH,

Absorption panels will reduce some high frequency energy transmission but won't reduce vibration transmission from your subwoofer unfortunately. A good carpet will also help reducing some sound transfer to your neighbors below.

If you like to play your equipment at hignh SPL, I suggest that you use good quality headphones.

Last edited:
JimmyH

JimmyH

Audiophyte
Ty for the reply.
Unfortunately headphones are no option for me.
Do you mean a carpet underneath each sub?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Ty for the reply.
Unfortunately headphones are no option for me.
Do you mean a carpet underneath each sub?
Actualy, if you want to isolate most vibration caused by a subwoofer, you would have to get a 1½ inch thick marble or granite slab under it and also use spikes under the cabinet. That way you should succeed, but those slabs are rather heavy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actualy, if you want to isolate most vibration caused by a subwoofer, you would have to get a 1½ inch thick marble or granite slab under it and also use spikes under the cabinet. That way you should succeed, but those slabs are rather heavy.
Maybe vibration caused by the sub cabinet or its footing....but not most of the overall output....

JimmyH

JimmyH

Audiophyte
Thx for your suggestions!
I would think a hard surface like marble or granite would actually amplify the vibrations?

for the SVS SB1000 I do have the SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would think a hard surface like marble or granite would actually amplify the vibrations?

I'd consider such materials as non-absorbent and fairly reflective....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

No, granite and marble at a certain thickness don't vibrate at subwoofer frequencies.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hello,

A lot of the air is shared in the system you're living in, so it will transfer (likely with the heating ducts, ventilation, etc). Unless the floor was designed to be as isolating as possible, it will be hard to not spill your low frequencies everywhere. Perhaps what you could do is optimize your listening position within your sound setting and get your space as quiet as possible with dampening and isolation so that your preferred listening volume is not higher to overcome a loud ambient noise floor.

Very best,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Great article!
I guess that is a good excuse to buy another SVS SB1000
That's funny, lol. There's always an excuse to buy more subwoofers! :p

Bass frequencies are notoriously hard to contain. While there are a couple of things (as mentioned above) that can help you won't be able to prevent most of the spillover from your sub(s). I haven't read that article @ASCTim linked above yet, but looks interesting. I've not heard having multi subs helping with lfc before. I'm gonna check it out after this post.

Speaking of which, some avrs do have some type of low frequency containment setting that can help a bunch. It's gonna rob you of your bass, but might be your only option for late at night listening. Talk to your neighbors too. Let them know you're concerned about bothering them. They'll appreciate it and might even be a little more forgiving as long as you don't abuse it with a lot of loud late night movies and music sessions.

JimmyH

JimmyH

Audiophyte
That's funny, lol. There's always an excuse to buy more subwoofers! :p

Bass frequencies are notoriously hard to contain. While there are a couple of things (as mentioned above) that can help you won't be able to prevent most of the spillover from your sub(s). I haven't read that article @ASCTim linked above yet, but looks interesting. I've not heard having multi subs helping with lfc before. I'm gonna check it out after this post.

Speaking of which, some avrs do have some type of low frequency containment setting that can help a bunch. It's gonna rob you of your bass, but might be your only option for late at night listening. Talk to your neighbors too. Let them know you're concerned about bothering them. They'll appreciate it and might even be a little more forgiving as long as you don't abuse it with a lot of loud late night movies and music sessions.
I know about the setting on my Denon to contain my bass to keep my neighbors happy. Haven’t experiment with it to much because it supposed to kill the sound.
but I guess I have to try to find some compromise

I already try to minimize my movie watching to weekends only my neighbors know that.

guess I keep trying to find the best possible way to keep myself and my neighbors both happy :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis