About Paradigm and Anthem

cam

cam

Audioholic
I have the Paradigm PW-2200 v2 with the 400w class D, while I'm impressed with my sub, I was wondering if you guys could plan a detailed review. This sub has been on the market for about a year and a half and I can not find a review anyware for the PW-2200 v2. I don't even know if my sub competes with some of the big boys offerings from Hsu and SVS. Thanks for any replies.

cam

cam

Audioholic
Thanks Gene, if ever you guys get a hold of one I will be definetly reading the review. Has Paradigm got so high and mighty that they feel their products should be bought with no reviews in sight good or bad.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Cam;

Not sure but they seem to favor the publications they run ads with. Feel free to send audioholics review requests to them at: mark@paradigm.com

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
gene said:
Please see the following thread regarding Paradigm reviews:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9918
Maybe, you could/should consider offering a program to dealers: send in a demo item(shipping prepaid both ways by dealer) and get a month or so to evaluate it for a review. Offer dealer mention in article or an ad on the site. Is it feasible when all is said and done? Darned if I know. But, I think it's worth considering.

-Chris

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Chris;

Thats not a bad idea, but why should we provide press for a company that clearly doesn't want it?

Also dealers that do this for us may get their license to sell Paradigm/Anthem products revoked if it wasn't authorized by the manufacturer.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
gene said:
Chris;

Thats not a bad idea, but why should we provide press for a company that clearly doesn't want it?
This would open you up to a alot more product options to review(not just Paradigm), instead of just the ones where the company will send you an official review sample.

Also dealers that do this for us may get their license to sell Paradigm/Anthem products revoked if it wasn't authorized by the manufacturer.
Whether that is true(I don't know of any precedant to establish it as so) or not, it is a concern for the dealer, not audioholics.com.

-Chris

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
gene said:
Chris;

Because so many forum members are buying/testing these products without the trusted reviews of Audioholics.

So are you not permitted to review a product if it's not authorized by the manufacturer? Or is it just an economic issue trying to get the merchandise on loan without paying for it. I agree, there is no monetary benefit to you by putting a dealers logo on your site for reviewing third party equipment. It helps us, but it doesn't pay your mortgage. If we, the members, all sent an email to Paradigm, they may change their mind when they see all the hits these threads receive daily. To top it off, even if you could get access to all manufacturers equipment, time restraints would limit you to testing very few (or your reviews would need edited down to nothing). You should become a not for profit business/organization, and accept donations from members (ie needing a tax break). You provide a valuable service at no charge, and should be properly compensated. :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So are you not permitted to review a product if it's not authorized by the manufacturer?
No, but why would an authorized dealer want to send us product for review and take credit for doing so, while running the risk of the manufacturer finding out (assuming they don't approve) and revoke the dealers ability to carry their line?

You should become a not for profit business/organization, and accept donations from members (ie needing a tax break).
Buckeye, I wonder how you would feel if your boss asked you to work for free as a non profit organization. We would never be able to pay our expenses and make a living if we relied on our readers to make contributions. Most are barely willing to spend $16 on our shirt (in which we earn a cool $2 off of each sale), let alone make contributions to keep us all employed.

We created a business model for bringing the industry's largest readership rivaling all other online home theater publications and print magazines. Magazines that charge to access their site or reviews have dismal traffic and search engine presence. This is something we will never do.

If a company chooses not to work with us, that's their loss, as there are plenty of others that will. However, we will not go out of our way to acquire their products through other means if the desire isn't reciprocated by the manufacturer.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
gene said:
No, but why would an authorized dealer want to send us product for review and take credit for doing so, while running the risk of the manufacturer finding out (assuming they don't approve) and revoke the dealers ability to carry their line?

Buckeye, I wonder how you would feel if your boss asked you to work for free as a non profit organization. We would never be able to pay our expenses and make a living if we relied on our readers to make contributions. Most are barely willing to spend $16 on our shirt (in which we earn a cool $2 off of each sale), let alone make contributions to keep us all employed.

We created a business model for bringing the industries largest readership rivaling all other online home theater publications and print magazines. Magazines that charge to access their site or reviews have dismal traffic and search engine presence. This is something we will never do.

If a company chooses not to work with us, thats their loss as there are plenty of others that will. However, we will not go out of our way to acquire their products though other means if the desire isn't reciprocated by the manufacturer.
I was thinking more on the lines of a "Consumer Reports" type business. Yes, they do charge access for net reviews, but make quite a bit of money in print. I don't know the stats on CR's income via the net, but they earn enough to actually purchase merchandise and test it. Universities and hospitals are also non-profit. Look at what they charge for tuition and a visit to the emergency room. Also look what they pay top professors and physicians. There are HUGE tax benefits for these types of setups. Non profit organizations still charge for their services, and absolutely pay employees for work performed, so you would absolutely be inclined to receive advertising dollars, as well as pay yourselves salaries and employees for work performed. Your business falls into a model that would work as non profit. You would need to invest the profits back into the business, though, and "not show a profit" on the bottom line. Many corporations do this by increasing salaries, r&d, etc... There are thousands of small companies in operation that are non profit, and the owners still drive around in their Benz's, etc...

http://nonprofit.about.com/od/nonprofitstartup/a/what_is_np.htm

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Ok I will tell you what we will do, we will dump all of our advertisers, use our life savings to buy equipment for review, start our own print publication and write 100 word cursory reviews so we can compete with consumer reports. How does that sound?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
gene said:
Ok I will tell you what we will do, we will dump all of our advertisers, use our life savings to buy equipment for review, start our own print publication and write 100 word cursory reviews so we can compete with consumer reports. How does that sound?
Why dump the advertisers? I advertise with OSU, part of their non profit organization, in their football program. Thousands pay to advertise with the University. They put out education, just like Audioholics. I didn't mean to parallel CR to a "T". Sorry if I came off that way. I think you have a solid enough following to become extremely large. Hasn't your accountant suggested you look at "not for profit" at one point?

It's not the model that's flawed - it's the demographic that simply will not support it. We do not cover a wide enough scope of people (washing machine users, car owners, cat-lovers, etc) to make it work. Consumer Reports, who has an endless demographic; and Hospitals, who often have large-scale large donors, are quite a bit different from the home theater market.

Love the idea - but it doesn't have the necessary scale to work.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I beg to differ. I own a car, think cats are ok, and have seen a washing machine used once.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis