A5+ to D1 DAC passive speaker too quiet

D

Doubles

Audiophyte
Good afternoon,

I recently just purchased the Audioengine A5+ speakers the D1 DAC to go with them. I currently have the speakers plugged into my DAC which is running off a USB port on my MOBO. The problem is the passive speaker is so quiet and the sub doesn't move at all. There is very faint sound coming from the passive speaker's tweeter. The left (with the amp) sounds great.

What I've tried:

made sure the + and - are hooked up correctly
tried different USB ports

Really hope it's something I just overlooked and not a busted amp. Shipping back from Japan will take ages. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Update: If I connect the line out from my on board sound card directly to the A5+ they both work. I'm guessing doesn't like being plugged into the USB. Unfortunately it doesn't have a USB in for the on board sound card, but it does have an optical. I'll have to go find one and test it I guess.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good afternoon,

I recently just purchased the Audioengine A5+ speakers the D1 DAC to go with them. I currently have the speakers plugged into my DAC which is running off a USB port on my MOBO. The problem is the passive speaker is so quiet and the sub doesn't move at all. There is very faint sound coming from the passive speaker's tweeter. The left (with the amp) sounds great.

What I've tried:

made sure the + and - are hooked up correctly
tried different USB ports

Really hope it's something I just overlooked and not a busted amp. Shipping back from Japan will take ages. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Update: If I connect the line out from my on board sound card directly to the A5+ they both work. I'm guessing doesn't like being plugged into the USB. Unfortunately it doesn't have a USB in for the on board sound card, but it does have an optical. I'll have to go find one and test it I guess.
Your last post is not clear. What outputs does your MOBO offer? If it will output audio over USB then may be it is a set up issue or your MOBO has the wrong USB out version. The D1 will only accept USB or optical out. Optical will probably be the best output and least likely to cause a ground loop.

B

bingotem

Audiophyte
You are not trying to output from the headphone jack on the D1 to the A5+, right? You should use the RCA on the back of the D1 and plug into the a5+ input.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You are not trying to output from the headphone jack on the D1 to the A5+, right? You should use the RCA on the back of the D1 and plug into the a5+ input.
I think his trouble is connecting his MOBO to the D1. I don't think he has analog outputs from his MOBO and was trying to use USB.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis