M

murali

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Does connection between CD player and Receiver by optical cable make any difference in performance compared to connection through usual analog cable?
Let me expand this a bit. Recently I bought a Rotel RSX-1055 receiver and connected my old Yamaha CDC-655 CD player using an optical cable. If instead I use the analog connections, will it make any quality difference in the sound?</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I have the RSX-1065 which uses the same DAC as your unit. &nbsp;I felt that the internal DAC was lacking in performance compared to my Sony DVD/SACD player. &nbsp;As a result, I bypass the internal DAC when listening to CDs in stereo mode but not for movies (Dolby Digital and DTS).

The differences I heard was better bass extension and resolution of details with the Sony compared to the Rotel. &nbsp;The Sony seemed to handle transients and dynamic peaks better. &nbsp;The Rotel actually had punchier bass but was also noticeably brighter than the Sony. &nbsp;In the end, I went with a MSB DAC mainly because I got it at a good price plus it also does a better job with poor/average recordings.

The caveat is that if you use any of the Rotel processing (Dolby PLII, music modes, DTS), the internal DAC will take over.</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I doubt you would hear much of a difference at all. &nbsp;Regardless, the optical should be fine. &nbsp;If that's what you have, use it. &nbsp;

Shinerman</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis