A/V-1 rebuild #1 complete

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So, I had some issues with the old speakers during disassembly. One crossovers became damaged as did one of the old tweeters. One of the air-core inductors broke off while removing the crossover because it wasn't supported well by whoever built this pair the first time. I talked to Danny and he said because of where it broke, it could not be soldered back together so it would have to be replaced, which meant kind of rebuilding that crossover. The tweeters are the original ones from a long time ago as well. The new tweeters are redesigned with stronger connection tabs (I've had 3 of the old version break, no issues with the new ones). This meant I no longer had parts to put 5 of them back together. Instead, I opted to fully redo my primary pair. I placed an order for fully upgraded crossovers and in the interest of time for this pair, I also had them built by the Skiing Ninja who contracts his skills to do upgrades or build crossovers for you, or even provide you with fully built units from places like GR Research. People who may have frequented the AV123 forums might know him as well. The crossovers arrived today. They took a while because the Skiing Ninja is backlogged, but it was worth it and worked out well because today was the only day this week I was likely to have enough time to install them.

I just put a few screws in to make sure everything is working and will finalize them tomorrow. Will snap a few pics of the insides. Not a true DIY since I didn't build the X-overs, but a rebuild with help :) These guys have all new components though, so effectively brand new speakers. I will now have to pick up a few additional parts to fill in the gaps left in order to finish the other three, but I don't see having a lot of time to do those in the near future. These ones sound excellent right now though :cool:

Fish eye :)

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the photos.

Are the crossovers a new and different design, or are they replacements similar to the old damaged ones?

In case anyone noticed, the woofer in these A/V-1 is identical to the woofer in the MB27s I recently built.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The tweeter is a newer version of the one that was in there and it is slightly different so the crossover design is different as well.

The M130 is a fine woofer; one of the big reasons why I love GR's speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
All connections soldered (to both drivers and input cup), all put together now.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
All connections soldered (to both drivers and input cup), all put together now.

I like the price tag of $2.20 on the crossover. I'll pay you $2.20 a piece to make me some :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's the inductor value :) I'd love to have gotten these for $2.20 :eek:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That's the inductor value :) I'd love to have gotten these for $2.20 :eek:
What did the xo set you back? I'm diggin' the red and green coils on the red circuit board. That's a pretty set up. I'm seeing that raw insulation around the port and wondering about that. Is it sprayed with adhesive to seal in the fibers? What's the scoop there?

Notice any differences in sound? There's a line of objectivists wanting to say it's all in your head. :D

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
Definitely interested to hear if you feel there is a noticeable difference in the crossover.

Definitely a fan of the GR drivers though, the X-Statiks using the M-165 (equivalent) is extremely smooth. I am just waiting for the upgraded versions that Danny supposedly has...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What did the xo set you back? I'm diggin' the red and green coils on the red circuit board. That's a pretty set up. I'm seeing that raw insulation around the port and wondering about that. Is it sprayed with adhesive to seal in the fibers? What's the scoop there?
X-overs were $200 shipped as you see them, about an even split for the build and the components. So not cheap, considering the original A/V-1 kit is $229, but considering how they sound, I'm not complaining :)

Notice any differences in sound? There's a line of objectivists wanting to say it's all in your head. :D
That's mineral wool. All of the enclosures I have came lined with it already. Sort of like fiberglass only made of rock that is melted and spun like cotton candy. It is supposed to help damp the back wave/standing waves and reduce cabinet resonance. I considered upgrading to the No-Rez that GR offers, but these cabinets are small and are already very inert. These small speakers weigh about 30lbs each, the majority of which are the enclosures.

Definitely interested to hear if you feel there is a noticeable difference in the crossover.

Definitely a fan of the GR drivers though, the X-Statiks using the M-165 (equivalent) is extremely smooth. I am just waiting for the upgraded versions that Danny supposedly has...
I've previously done the Sonicap upgrade on my A/V-2s. When I bought them, they also had the old version tweeters, one of which had a broken tab on it already when I disassembled them. I think it actually caused a short and fried one speaker, so I ordered new drivers (and the new T3 tweeters for both) for that one and the upgrade x-over components and rebuilt the A/V-2s from the ground up. I could immediately hear the difference as I had owned those speakers for a few months before performing the upgrade. The Sonicaps/Mills resistors actually seem to soften these speakers a bit and I noticed it with the A/V-1s too. Though they are already fairly laid back, in critical listening I do actually find that there is a distinct improvement in depth and detail. For lack of a better term, the "3D" or dimensional extension of the music makes them sound as if your room larger than it is. That's one thing I've always loved about these speakers. It is a subtle thing, that is audible. My other pair of A/V-2s does not have the upgraded X-overs so it is easy for me to compare them back to back and hear the difference between them.

This pair of A/V-1s already sounded very good; I've had them for years. What I hear with the upgrade to these is a wider, deeper sound stage and more detail in general. I actually had a problem right off the bat - I had put on some Rage Against the Machine, since that's what was already in there and it instantly sounded bad, with what sounded like distortion or crush or almost like they were struggling (shouldn't be the case since they are getting 200W). I was concerned I had connected something wrong or something got damaged! :eek: I checked a few other tracks on that album and they still sounded like something was not right. I switched to some of my "audition" tracks though and found that the issue was that the speakers were actually identifying poor recording/mastering. Whew.

Last edited:
P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
What parts in the crossover did they originally have?

Also, did they have bypass caps standard with the kit?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What parts in the crossover did they originally have?

Also, did they have bypass caps standard with the kit?
The x-over is identical, just replacing the caps and resistors for the A/V-1. On the A/V-2s, the inductors were also replaced with foil ones in addition to that.

This is the X-over that came out of these speakers. It was sort of a hybrid built by my friend; original x-over with foil inductors. As you can see, a sort of spaghetti mess, with the foil connections just dangling out there. This one didn't break, the other one did.

The new ones come with Erse caps. This is the current standard A/V-1 x-over, of which I currently have 3 as well:

I can build the x-overs right now, but only have enough tweeters to build one of these 3 now since I used the drivers for this pair. I have plenty of M130s now though :)

Previous thread when I had originally started to work on this project: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/diy-corner-tips-techniques/80615-more-v-1s.html That trio will have the standard x-overs. I had planned on pulling the x-overs from this pair and dropping them and the old drivers into those boxes, but the above problems arose, which is why I ordered the new crossovers for these.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I can see you doing a mod for the Pioneer 22's. Nice work there.:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If Dennis or someone designs one that works for the BS22s, I will definitely try it out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis