A thumbs up for Kohler faucets

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Every once in a while it's really nice to stumble over an excellent product made by a company with wonderful customer service.

I've had a kitchen faucet made by Kohler for decades. It's a typical washer-less single lever faucet. It was installed when my house was built in 1993. The other week, it began to leak from under the swivel base of the faucet. I called Kohler Customer Service to order a new valve core. The Customer Service rep told me that my faucet has a life-time warranty, and she is sending me that part, plus an O-ring repair kit, free of charge :):):).

So, let's hear it for Kohler! They're a very large US plumbing manufacturer, based in Wisconsin. You only have to buy a product from them once.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought a whole-house Kohler generator. I selected it after long research and talking to several electricians.
They make quite a few different products, including this.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I bought a whole-house Kohler generator. I selected it after long research and talking to several electricians.
They make quite a few different products, including this.
I know nothing about whole house generators, but would be interested in knowing what you've learned about them.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I know nothing about whole house generators, but would be interested in knowing what you've learned about them.
Sorry for offtopic, but you asked for it :)

Most home generator models under 20kWA are running on Natural Gas. They could also run on LP gas and generate more power, but no one wants to deal with refilling bottles/tanks if it could be avoided. Going with the Natural Gas option, you'd likely need to upgrade your gas meter to a bigger one, but the charge (if any) should be nominal.

I went with a fully integrated setup, which included automatic shedding (turning off) AC power-hungry devices - Air Conditioners in my case. Unluckily my gas and electric meters were on opposite sides of my house, so I chose to install genny on the gas meter side as electric cable (AWG #1 btw) is cheaper and easier to run as my basement is still unfinished. Part of installing your existing main power panel becomes secondary, where now utility power goes to the new panel, which in my case was installed outside.

There is basically a mandatory annual service (get it or lose warranty) on genny regardless of its use/run hours. In my neck of the woods, it's a ballpark of $400/year. Anyone offering bi-annual service is a thief. What else could I say? My model has "smarts" in the sense that it connects to home internet, and using Kohler's cloud service, you could get alerts, monitor usage, and schedule genny exercise. Not much else. My home assistant could integrate with it, but I haven't thought of good ideas to use it yet. A few years ago, my 20kWA Kohler genny was around 5-6k MSRP, and the total installation was about $11k. Real estate sites say home genny usually sees near 100% return on sale time.

From what I learned, Cummins HOME gennies are subpar in quality. They may be better in commercial space, but at that point, the brand to go with is CAT. The leading players are widely promoted, Generac and much less known Kohler. Both are good in quality, but Kohler is a bit better.

Mandatory photo:

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Thanks BSA. We have been looking at gernerac as they are the big game in town. Nice to hear about an alternative. We keep kicking the can but power outages are regular where I live and now that I work from home it is becoming more necessary. We are propane here so I need another tank so that adds another $600 or so.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
along with Kohler I've been a Moen customer for years, same excellent warranty. I suspect Delta offers the same...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis