A spot out of focus

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Please tell me it's nothing.:(

Most of my projected image is sharp with a spot that is out of focus.

To rule out some of it...

I project onto a wall, but the spot doesn't move when changing a wall or screen size. If the wall had a dent or a bump, it would change with moving a projector.

I've cleaned the outer cover of the lens with softest cotton and no abrasive substance.

It's on all of the material including windows when I project my PC.

I never use "all" the ansi as I can fully darken the room. It's always the eco / cinema combo and my lamp is one third of a way in (manual says 6000 hours with eco and 3500 with daylight viewing). My lamp is going 2000 strong and I've used daylight only to set it up. Never after that.

It's here:
upload_2017-10-4_10-13-47.jpeg

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
What's the issue, are you getting a hot spot? Weird reflection that is highlighting the texture of the wall?

Wet sanding is the only solution I've found, as I am unwilling to use HPLV in a furnished room. I recently tried a satin furniture wax and it made the colors POP! But it also highlighted a couple areas where I could have sanded better, but are thankfully only really noticeable when standing up.

3M makes sanding sponges that are perfect for this task. You'll need to tarp off everything as obviously you are using a spray bottle to cover the wall in water. Then get ready for an arm work out! Find a happy place cause you're gonna be rubbing that wall for a good while!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for your answer.

I don't think it's the wall. I suspect that hazy spot would move or even vanish when projecting on a different wall. It doesn't.

Attached image is not real. I drew that in MS Paint to tell you where it is and show, roughly, its shape. Everything is sharp except the circumscribed spot. That spot is out of focus.

I'm afraid the wall would be the easy way out. I,ll try to capture a photo...

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you for your answer.

I don't think it's the wall. I suspect that hazy spot would move or even vanish when projecting on a different wall. It doesn't.

Attached image is not real. I drew that in MS Paint to tell you where it is and show, roughly, its shape. Everything is sharp except the circumscribed spot. That spot is out of focus.

I'm afraid the wall would be the easy way out. I,ll try to capture a photo...
I understand you were just using this image as a reference. From my experience of projecting on walls, the only issues are the tiny, seemingly insignificant, dust particles and roller/brush marks that simply do not level out.

Flat, means truly flat. Otherwise you are scattering light, not reflecting it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Try putting a piece of white paper on the spot. If it stays, it isn't the wall.

As for a solution, you have to have a dirty lens. Not sure what else it could be if it isn't the projection surface.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for the input.

I thought I ruled the wall out by moving the projector to other rooms and other walls. I mean, what are the odds that the spot will always be in the same place.

I see you still think there's a chance it is in fact the wall causing it. I'll try to see if I can find a way to either confirm or disprove the wall as a culprit. As @panteragstk says, stretching a larger sheet of paper that would stretch outside of the spot and reach sharp area might be a good test.

I'll let you know.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Is this an Epson projector? My 8350 has similar issues with hazy, out of focus, discolored areas and dust spots in the light path clearly visible on dark backgrounds. Clearing the exterior won't help, it's in the light path and I haven't had the courage to open it up.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Is this an Epson projector? My 8350 has similar issues with hazy, out of focus, discolored areas and dust spots in the light path clearly visible on dark backgrounds. Clearing the exterior won't help, it's in the light path and I haven't had the courage to open it up.
Yes, it's an Epson. Entry level EH-TW5200. I'll open mine and let you know if I find something. I will at least take the lamp out. That shouldn't be a problem since the user is suppose to change it anyway. I somehow doubt this will do any good. If it's inside it will probably be on the LCD screen. I'm just guessing.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Try to refocus and see if the spot can be sharpened. It could be on the inside surface of the lense by the light?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Try to refocus and see if the spot can be sharpened. It could be on the inside surface of the lense by the light?
Do you mean to make the spot sharp at the expense of the rest of the image? To reverse sharp and blurry parts of the screen?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, just as a test curiosity?
I tried this. It is not possible to get the blurred portion of the screen to be sharp.

I tried to flatten the part of the wall by stretching a piece of paper over it. It didn't help. But I guess this goes without saying since it couldn't be sharpened. Supposing the wall had a dent or a bump would imply a possibility to sharpen the image by focus dial.

I still didn't find the time to open it and peek inside. I will.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Most curious. Wonder if that may have developed on the bulb.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I wasn't able to find even a tiniest mark on the lamp or the glass screen directly in front of the lamp. Further digging towards the LCD screen (this is a LCD projector) was not an option for the time being.
upload_2017-10-12_14-43-41.jpeg
upload_2017-10-12_14-44-25.jpeg
upload_2017-10-12_14-44-41.jpeg
upload_2017-10-12_14-45-1.jpeg
upload_2017-10-12_14-43-7.jpeg

I'll keep with the research.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Is this PJ under warranty? If the problem is totally unrelated to the wall, the lens cleaned and lamp inspected, then there may be a problem with the lens itself.

Edit: again to clarify, the spot on the wall is simply, blurry? If you walk closer or off angle you are NOT seeing the texture of the wall being highlighted at the trouble spot?

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Is this PJ under warranty? If the problem is totally unrelated to the wall, the lens cleaned and lamp inspected, then there may be a problem with the lens itself.

Edit: again to clarify, the spot on the wall is simply, blurry? If you walk closer or off angle you are NOT seeing the texture of the wall being highlighted at the trouble spot?
I'll check warranty. It may have expired.

Just a blur. I'll try to capture it somehow. Thanks for your interest.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'll check warranty. It may have expired.

Just a blur. I'll try to capture it somehow. Thanks for your interest.
I'm new to projection. I just got an Epson 2045 earlier this year and have spent an absurd amount of time 'rubbing my wall'. So this issue is very important to me, and I wish I could find a quick solution for you.

Thanks for sharing!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis