A small room, only 416.5 square inches

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Friends, in a small room, only 416.5 square inches, should I really settle for the STEREO structure (2.1, 2 front speakers and 1 subwoofer)? Or can I try an ATMOS 5.1 or even 7.1 setup?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well 113.5 sq ft is definitely more reasonable than 2.89 sq ft (416.5 sq in) :)

That size room a bed layer of 7ch is not likely a good fit, probably more suited to 5.1.2 or 5.1 (or maybe just 2.1) Have a pic or floor plan to see placement options?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Friends, in a small room, only 416.5 square inches, should I really settle for the STEREO structure (2.1, 2 front speakers and 1 subwoofer)? Or can I try an ATMOS 5.1 or even 7.1 setup?
What kind of budget do you have?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
113,5 square feet
I have a room (10 ft x 10 ft with a small alcove for the door) that images perfectly in 2.1 with a sub.
It's a near field setup and you definitely have to tune your setup to optimize it.
I used REW and the brethren here to help me get it dialed in.
It is freakin' outstanding. Not just good. Its outstanding.

I think for anything greater than 2.1 you are in the land of diminishing returns. You can't get your rear channels behind you to any real extent. It is possible to make it work. I know you can make 2.1 work just great.
If after you've perfected that, you still want those extra channels, you have a great baseline to work from.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
What's the actual room dimensions?

I have a 5.1.2 in a room 10 feet long by 8.6 feet wide and 8 feet high.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Seems like the OP may be trying to convert a metric measurement to imperial.

What are the dimensions in length and width, in the measurement system you are most familiar with using?

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
More questions to help you out. Do you want a home theater setup, just listen to music or both? You say settle for 2.1, Do you have a setup now? If so how does it sound to you?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

wow. you beat me in packing 10lbs of sugar in to a 5lb bag.
I'll bet you made it sound great as well.
When the room is small, you can concentrate on the details that make the sound pop.
There aren't a lot of distractions. Your primary listening chair is just that usually, a single position.
Make that place sing and you've achieved victory.
I am impressed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

So you already have an Atmos setup, are you thinking of going 5.1.4? In a room your size I'm thinking that may well be better than 7.1.2, where are the speakers placed currently and where in the room is seating?

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Even though I do own a 9 channel receiver in this room.
It's for my next home theater that's under construction and I'll definitely do 5.1.4.
I'm pre wiring for 9.2.4 actually.
My seating is 4.6 feet from the screen and I'd say more closer towards the middle or so in the room. If I go any furher back it's on my bed and not keen on sitting against walls or sitting on my bed without some kind of back to lean on.
Front speakers on a table and my computer desk only spread as wide as the 65 inch oled or so. That's practically close to the 30 degrees angle.
Surrounds on stands one to the left of me and the right one is a little bit behind to the right.
Atmos on the ceiling just in front of me a little bit and wish it was spaced wider or even wall heights now.

I've got it calibrated to the best of my knowledge and abilities. Manual calibration with only a spl meter for speaker levels and tape measure for distance. Nothing else. Yes I've tried ypao but sounded dull and lifeless.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I would use stereo for everything. Small rooms aren't a good place to handle a lot of speakers with all those powerful reflections. Honestly, I would use stereo and just aim the speakers at your ears in a near field manner.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis