killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
...but it feels kinda good. I had to do a complete medical exam, don’t know how it translates, you know the one you have to do to get certain jobs or before a competition.

I entered the office and spotted the anechoic chamber.... Sweeet Lord...

I said; of course, you’ll have to check my hearing!
The Doc went; no, not for this purpose.
And I said :)):)); you didn’t understand me; you’ll just have to check my hearing...

Long story short, he was surprised and said I hear like a twenty-year-old who never experienced damaging levels. Hearing different freqs at 10db is ideal for medical textbooks and my hearing starts at 11 for most freqs. Only one dipped to 13 or 14 and he said that’s a clear indication I need to flush some wax out and nothing more.

OK, I said it’s silly, but I’m satisfied.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
...but it feels kinda good. I had to do a complete medical exam, don’t know how it translates, you know the one you have to do to get certain jobs or before a competition.

And I said :)):)); you didn’t understand me; you’ll just have to check my hearing...

Long story short, he was surprised and said I hear like a twenty-year-old who never experienced damaging levels. Hearing different freqs at 10db is ideal for medical textbooks and my hearing starts at 11 for most freqs. Only one dipped to 13 or 14 and he said that’s a clear indication I need to flush some wax out and nothing more.

Isn't fun to mess with medical professionals? When I broke my elbow, the doc looked at the xray and said "I've never seen this before!" When my current doc was yelling at me about sweets, I asked:

me: "What about pie?"

Doc: "What?!? NO!! Never eat pie!"

me: "What about strawberry pie? It's good strawberries and that's good for you."

Doc: "No! No! No!"

me: "How about blueberry pie? We have this great recipe and blueberries have anti-oxidants."

Doc: "groan...."

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Forgot to mention, trained my youngest genetic offspring to look the nurse in the eye and say "I like shots!"

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Forgot to mention, trained my youngest genetic offspring to look the nurse in the eye and say "I like shots!"
They always look at me funny when I ask my kids "ready to get stabbed?" when they are about to get shots. I don't care if I'm the only one that thinks it's funny...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

When I read "...but it feels kinda good. I had to do a complete medical exam, don’t know how it translates, you know the one you have to do to get certain jobs or before a competition.", I was a bit concerned, to be honest. Never seen anyone say they like medical exams.

Having dealt with acoustics for close to 40 years- first, as an architecture student and later in sales/installation of audio equipment and not wanting to NOT know more about it- I went in for a hearing test. I had recently been reading about psycho-acoustics and how certain sounds will seem to be coming from someplace that's not possible, just because of the frequency so, knowing that 4K will sound like it's coming from directly overhead, as soon as I heard it, I asked her to repeat that tone. Once I had a reference to compare with, I was able to notice the sound almost 3dB lower than before and she immediately asked how I knew about that.

Fast forward about 30 years and I had some loss in my left ear. I didn't want to dig around in there, so I let him do the test and he told me that side needed to be flushed, so he wouldn't bother with anything above about 400Hz. The right side hadn't changed since the previous test- still more sensitive in the middle and normal above & below.

I ALWAYS carry and use ear plugs. Any uncontrolled loud sounds don't last long and I cover my ear(s) if it happens and I'm not prepared.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
When I read "...but it feels kinda good. I had to do a complete medical exam, don’t know how it translates, you know the one you have to do to get certain jobs or before a competition.", I was a bit concerned, to be honest. Never seen anyone say they like medical exams.

Having dealt with acoustics for close to 40 years- first, as an architecture student and later in sales/installation of audio equipment and not wanting to NOT know more about it- I went in for a hearing test. I had recently been reading about psycho-acoustics and how certain sounds will seem to be coming from someplace that's not possible, just because of the frequency so, knowing that 4K will sound like it's coming from directly overhead, as soon as I heard it, I asked her to repeat that tone. Once I had a reference to compare with, I was able to notice the sound almost 3dB lower than before and she immediately asked how I knew about that.

Fast forward about 30 years and I had some loss in my left ear. I didn't want to dig around in there, so I let him do the test and he told me that side needed to be flushed, so he wouldn't bother with anything above about 400Hz. The right side hadn't changed since the previous test- still more sensitive in the middle and normal above & below.

I ALWAYS carry and use ear plugs. Any uncontrolled loud sounds don't last long and I cover my ear(s) if it happens and I'm not prepared.
Glad you carry ear plugs. I know many do not. I keep a pair in my pocket since I'm in and out of my shop floor. It's handy when I have to go to kids sporting events and the yelling gets loud. Or I'm suddenly in an area with a bunch of small children. Nothing hurts the ears like small children.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've actually had some mild hearing loss. I'm greatful for measurement mics.

highfigh

highfigh

Glad you carry ear plugs. I know many do not. I keep a pair in my pocket since I'm in and out of my shop floor. It's handy when I have to go to kids sporting events and the yelling gets loud. Or I'm suddenly in an area with a bunch of small children. Nothing hurts the ears like small children.
I think the only way to have avoided hearing loss over my lifetime would be to have used ear plugs 24 hours a day, every day. Just driving, with the wind noise, the sound of passing cars, A-holes with crotch rockets, Harleys, beater cars and hot rods who decide to goose the throttle at the precise point where the sound form the exhaust will cause the most hearing damage, idiots with their stereo cranked and it's difficult to close the window fast enough....I don't mind the sound of a car with a built up engine, just not when the pipes are aimed AT me.

That high-pitched scream little kids make- yeah, great. Ever see a dog when they hear that?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I think the only way to have avoided hearing loss over my lifetime would be to have used ear plugs 24 hours a day, every day. Just driving, with the wind noise, the sound of passing cars, A-holes with crotch rockets, Harleys, beater cars and hot rods who decide to goose the throttle at the precise point where the sound form the exhaust will cause the most hearing damage, idiots with their stereo cranked and it's difficult to close the window fast enough....I don't mind the sound of a car with a built up engine, just not when the pipes are aimed AT me.

That high-pitched scream little kids make- yeah, great. Ever see a dog when they hear that?
Well yes, some loss will occure, but... I don't need my ears in my grave. I have no reason to complain about some expected loss. But I still twitch my face when upon hearin most of what you list above.

highfigh

highfigh

Well yes, some loss will occure, but... I don't need my ears in my grave. I have no reason to complain about some expected loss. But I still twitch my face when upon hearin most of what you list above.
Don't need perfect hearing in the grave unless you plan to install a kick-ass system.

It sure makes understanding others easier, though. My dad lost a lot of his hearing and it made my mom crazy- he was too stubborn to get hearing aids and his reason was that they amplify the noise, as well. Too bad he wouldn't accept the fact that the technology had advanced greatly over the years. I even told him that one major person behind the changes was Les Paul, who had also lost a lot of hearing acuity but that didn't make a dent.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Don't need perfect hearing in the grave unless you plan to install a kick-ass system.
You're taking the term "after-party" way too literally. :D

I get what you're saying, but as you yourself said earlier; you would have to wear ear plugs all the time to avoid everything that can damage your hearing. It's just not likely. I avoid most, but still, I dive and that's not helping, I crank the system up and that's not really good either, I go to a rock concert every now and then... It's just about measure; I don't overdo it and I'm fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis