A Senior's low budget system

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Upfiring can be effective. I’d be on the lookout in the used market for a set of them at a cheap price so you can try it without investing a ton.I had some klipsch 140s that I sold for 225 but there have been slick deals since in them for under 200

ceiling is next level tho

SVS prime elevations would be worth looking at to mount on the front walls too maybe. Again not super cheap though.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
I am now considering a pair of Klipsch R-41SA's currently on sale, to use for front heights. If i decide to go with them, i would definitely have to mount on the wall, as they are to big to fit on top of my fronts (R-51M's) Would i set these up in my Denon as front heights or front Dolby? Also, should they be mounted as high as possible on the wall? My MLP is about 9.5ft from Center Channel.

Below is a pic of space available in front.

Attachments

Last edited:
HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Ordered the R-41SA's and sounding just fine. Next question....................I am getting ready to pull the plug on an Audio Technica turntable. I have no room on top of my stand for it and am considering either moving the center channel up and placing the turntable on top of the stand or installing a small shelf above the center channel and placing the turntable there. By looking at my above pic. which would be better acoustically?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I say move the center channel up and put the turntable on a more stable platform

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
I say move the center channel up and put the turntable on a more stable platform
Thanks @mazersteven, being that the stand is glass, should isolator pads of some sort be used under the turntable feet? Sorry for asking in this thread but i didn't see a dedicated subforum thread for turntables. Maybe i overlooked it?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I do not own a turntable but in the past several months have researched enough because I'm looking to purchase one myself and from what I found you want the turntable to be as isolated as possible so nothing interferes with the tonearm and the cartridge. Any vibrations, anything like that so I would say yes

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
I do not own a turntable but in the past several months have researched enough because I'm looking to purchase one myself and from what I found you want the turntable to be as isolated as possible so nothing interferes with the tonearm and the cartridge. Any vibrations, anything like that so I would say yes
Thanks for your input. I grew up with record players and turntables and have just recently become quite interested in them again. The popularity of Vinyl music is definitely making a fad-like comeback. What sold me to invest again, was when my daughter purchased one and after listening to several LP's, i was hooked. I've just ordered an entry level table, Audio Technica LP-120XUSB to toy with.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am now considering a pair of Klipsch R-41SA's currently on sale, to use for front heights. If i decide to go with them, i would definitely have to mount on the wall, as they are to big to fit on top of my fronts (R-51M's) Would i set these up in my Denon as front heights or front Dolby? Also, should they be mounted as high as possible on the wall? My MLP is about 9.5ft from Center Channel.

Below is a pic of space available in front.
So where did you end up mounting them? A really good plan B is high and to the sides. Sounds like you’re good but just curious.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I've just ordered an entry level table, Audio Technica LP-120XUSB
That's a nice turntable. I've kind of had the same experience growing up listening to vinyl. Got away from it for a long time for some reason I like to get back involved.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Here's my latest pic with the addition of the Klipsch R41SA's along with new Audio Technica LP-120XUSB turntable and 40 vinyls so far. Wife let me splurge a bit at Christmas.

New Setup.jpg

Last edited:
HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Forgot to mention that i changed out the Denon S540BT with a new Denon S750H. Much better in sound quality and features. It's nice having Audyssey now so i can tailor the settings more to my liking. Really liking the Audio-Technia turntable as well. This is the first time in over 40 yrs. that i have owned a turntable and vinyls and i have found that in just a few short weeks, just how much i've missed them. Last vinyl record i played was probably in 1979 or so when i was 29. Yikes, time flies like crazy!!

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
I'm back after a year or more being away. Unfortunately, health issues kept me at bay. I still run the Klipsch speakers but have since switched from the Denon S750H to a Yamaha RX-V6A (which i returned after a couple weeks but have since re-ordered the same.) I returned it because i was concerned about the 2.1 fiasco but have since decided that i actually don't need it right now. I am only running an AppleTV 4k, Roku X-Press, Panny UBD-420 player and an Xbox One. Don't need 8K support right now either.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Nice System!!!

Maybe try moving those mains out about a 1' or more on both sides and toeing in a little. See how that sounds. Also your rears should be to the sides of the seating position facing the seating position.

That's going to be tough with the doorway less than a foot from the left front speaker.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
That's going to be tough with the doorway less than a foot from the left front speaker.
For sure. There isn't much more i could do as far as moving things. So, far it's worked pretty well though. Not that it matters that much but i did relieve a bit of cluttered look with the vinyl racks on top. They now reside in a dedicated rack since they now total 150 or so. Wife says "NO More".o_O

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I loved how you grew your system and have the pics to show it. Good on you!!!

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Thanks @3db ;) Only recent change, has been the addition of a Fire Stick 4K Max. The system is still fullfilling my needs perfectly.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis