A Senior's low budget system

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
You’ll want your surrounds one to two feet above ear level to get the best sound effects.
@mazersteven, Thanks. They are actually about 1 1/2ft now. I'll leave them there. You guys have been a major help so far. As a senior who has tinkered with audio and video for years and still knows very little about either, i feel somewhat inferior but all of your replies have been very satisfying. Being on a fixed income and addicted somewhat to this hobby late in life, acquiring nicer higher-end equipment is out of reach but i am content with what i now have but don't want to be short-changed in sound quality with what i do have.

Thanks again and i'm sure there will be more newb questions along the way.

Sorry to have hijacked the Pro's & Joe's thread with a bunch of questions.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
nice setup bro! clean look well Thought out with placement of speakers.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
nice setup bro! clean look well Thought out with placement of speakers.
Thanks @Gmoney. This small cramped room is hard to work with and i'm beginning to discover a few small acoustic quirks that just plain old bothers me but i'm still experimenting. I don't give up easy.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks @Gmoney. This small cramped room is hard to work with and i'm beginning to discover a few small acoustic quirks that just plain old bothers me but i'm still experimenting. I don't give up easy.
Bro I have had tons of gear going back to the early 70's can't say I wasted money but I can say I should have put more on better speakers than on electronics. The set up I have now is modest I have had setups over 20g's. Thing is the setup you have is very nice I see you gave it a lot of thought. I myself have thought of setting up one with bookshelves a good sub or two a mid level AVR or even a flagship AVR. I bet it sounds sweet, is that your TV above your audio/video center?

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Bro I have had tons of gear going back to the early 70's can't say I wasted money but I can say I should have put more on better speakers than on electronics. The set up I have now is modest I have had setups over 20g's. Thing is the setup you have is very nice I see you give it a lot of thought. I myself have thought of setting up one with bookshelves a good sub or two a mid level AVR or even a flagship AVR. I bet it sounds sweet, is that your TV above your audio/video center?
Thanks @Gmoney. The TV is a Samsung UN65KS9800 FALD (flagship from 2016) purchased early 2017. Still looks amazing and have no desire to let it go until it dies on it's own. Yes the Klipsch's sound good pushed by the low-end Denon.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks @Gmoney. The TV is a Samsung UN65KS9800 FALD (flagship from 2016) purchased early 2017. Still looks amazing and have no desire to let it go until it dies on it's own. Yes the Klipsch's sound good pushed by the low-end Denon.
I thought that was a 4K like the runners that hide the cables nice. Clean power is clean power Denon is Good stuff man! At our age we don't need to be cranking up our setups like we use to. As I'm sure you know it's about Dynamic clean sound and You got it nailed down! Some think it's about how loud it can go, its about how good our setups sound at Moderate listening levels or sometimes Reference levels. For movies I do like it up a bit, for music its about finding that sweet spot on the volume level. Very nice setup bro!

Mike

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
I thought that was a 4K like the runners that hide the cables nice. Clean power is clean power Denon is Good stuff man! At our age we don't need to be cranking up our setups like we use to. As I'm sure you know it's about Dynamic clean sound and You got it nailed down! Some think it's about how loud it can go, its about how good our setups sound at Moderate listening levels or sometimes Reference levels. For movies I do like it up a bit, for music its about finding that sweet spot on the volume level. Very nice setup bro!

Mike
The Sammy is 4K and the cable covers were easier than trying to cut holes and fish cables up to the TV. The opening that the TV sets in, was an opening between the Den and Dining Room. I closed in the back of it on the dining room side and mounted the TV on an articulating mount that has several angle adjustments. Worked out well i think. Now if i can just solve the acoustic problem i think i'm hearing, all will be well. https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/experience-with-denon-calibration.117557/#post-1418490

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
His debts just keep rising with all this gifting.:p

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Just picked up a Denon S750H at a great price from BestBuy. I just couldn't resist the minor upgrade from my S540BT 5.1 Denon to a 7.1. Now i gotta find acceptable sounding speakers to us for surround backs or heights. With my setup and room config with the current surrounds being right at the LP, what changes to speaker placement should i be making? I really don't have many options as far as where to move them to. Maybe set up front heights? How about upfiring modules on the front speakers?

Thanks

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Would love those but way out of my budget. Would Atmos effects be better with upfiring modules on the fronts (my ceiling is 8ft) or wall mounted modules firing down? i have even thought of a pair of R-41m's mounted high on the wall, facing downward somewhat.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I wouldn''t bother going with Atmos until I put speakers in my ceiling. No bouncy speakers....maybe high wall mounts if the bed layer is low enough. I'm fine without Atmos still as I haven't messed with my ceilings nor particularly want high wall mounts....

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Personally I wouldn''t bother going with Atmos until I put speakers in my ceiling. No bouncy speakers....maybe high wall mounts if the bed layer is low enough. I'm fine without Atmos still as I haven't messed with my ceilings nor particularly want high wall mounts....
Ceiling is out of the question and i'm still debating wall mounts up high. Wife says ugggh to more speakers on the wall. May just go with upfiring sitting on top of the fronts.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis