A Senior's low budget system

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
All i could afford but the sound is perfect for me in this small room (12x13)

Samsung 65" KS9800
Denon AVR-S540BT
Klipsch R-51m (fronts)
Klipsch R-25C (center)
Klipsch R-10SW (sub)
Klipsch B-200 (rears)
IMG_1249[569].jpg
IMG_1257[573].jpg

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Nice System!!!

Maybe try moving those mains out about a 1' or more on both sides and toeing in a little. See how that sounds. Also your rears should be to the sides of the seating position facing the seating position.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to make the same suggestion as well as moving the center to the front edge of the shelf it's on....

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Nice System!!!

Maybe try moving those mains out about a 1' or more on both sides and toeing in a little. See how that sounds. Also your rears should be to the sides of the seating position facing the seating position.

Thanks @mazersteven. As for the rears, there is a door 1 foot to the right of the right speaker and a wall approx. 3ft to the left of the left speaker where a Christmas Tree sets every year. Not enough space to move either of them any direction.

For the fronts, there is a door to the left and i didn't want to move these too far out as they could possibly be hit with grandkid traffic or anyone for that matter. They are however toed in somewhat already.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks @mazersteven. As for the rears, there is a door 1 foot to the right of the right speaker and a wall approx. 3ft to the left of the left speaker where a Christmas Tree sets every year. Not enough space to move either of them any direction.

For the fronts, there is a door to the left and i didn't want to move these too far out as they could possibly be hit with grandkid traffic or anyone for that matter. They are however toed in somewhat already.
Still have to AIM the rears to the seating position. If you can't move them a foot move them 1/2 a foot. It should open up your Soundstage

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
I was going to make the same suggestion as well as moving the center to the front edge of the shelf it's on....
Thanks @lovinthehd. The center sits on a glass top stand already moved forward somewhat and alighned with the fronts with only about 3 inches remaining to the front of the glass top. I wasn't sure if moving the center forward and having it ahead of the mains would matter or not. I'm all open to suggestions.
Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks @lovinthehd. The center sits on a glass top stand already moved forward somewhat and alighned with the fronts with only about 3 inches remaining to the front of the glass top. I wasn't sure if moving the center forward and having it ahead of the mains would matter or not. I'm all open to suggestions.
Thanks
Just eliminates the reflection off the shelf..even overhanging would be fine. If you run Audyssey on your avr it will account for speaker positions.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Thanks again @mazersteven. I'm gonna follow your suggestion and at least Aim them more towards the listening position.
The seating position is that oversized 1 1/2 recliner which is almost against the wall and there is only 6 feet between the rears. Unfortunately neither of them can be placed on a side wall due to room config. With only 6ft between the rears, should i still toe them in more?

Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
5.1 surround sound
In a 5.1 system, your surround speakers are best placed to the left and right of your listening position. Aim them directly towards you for the best sound. If side placement isn't practical, place your surround speakers a few feet behind your listening position and face them forward. You’ll want your surrounds one to two feet above ear level to get the best sound effects.

5_1-surround-sound-speaker-placement-2 (1).jpg

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I agree with Aiming the surrounds toward the listing position. Even if at angles that cross the listener, it will sound good. That's how mine are upstairs and it sounds great.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Just eliminates the reflection off the shelf..even overhanging would be fine. If you run Audyssey on your avr it will account for speaker positions.
Reflection off the shelf is something i had not considered. As for Audyssey, the S540 Denon does not have it onboard but does have a basic Room EQ Tool which i have already run a few times.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Reflection off the shelf is something i had not considered. As for Audyssey, the S540 Denon does not have it onboard but does have a basic Room EQ Tool which i have already run a few times.
I forgot that's the model without, but the room setup does that part anyways (Audyssey is more about the eq).

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
For your center channel

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
For your center channel

Thanks Mazer. I am using basic foam isolater pads already under the CC but not of the same quality as the ones shown in the link.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
I agree with Aiming the surrounds toward the listing position. Even if at angles that cross the listener, it will sound good. That's how mine are upstairs and it sounds great.
@Kleinst, i toed the rears inward more toward the seating position which improved the soundfield a bit. When looking at the rears in my pic above, should i lower the rears a bit to get them closer to ear level or leave them as pictured? The image is before i toed them in more. The chair sits almost against the wall.

Thanks

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
@Kleinst, i toed the rears inward more toward the seating position which improved the soundfield a bit. When looking at the rears in my pic above, should i lower the rears a bit to get them closer to ear level or leave them as pictured? The image is before i toed them in more. The chair sits almost against the wall.

Thanks
Nah that seems like a good height. If you want them more dynamic you can always adjust the level for your surround channel until you get the impact you want

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis