A question on component stacking and weight

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
I’m general, I’ve always stacked my power amps on top of my preamps when size permits. Hottest on top. The issue I am unsure of involves a Lexicon MC-8 V2 and a new seven channel amp that’s being shipped.
The Lexicon case is really overbuilt. It’s incredibly heavy and seems to be stout enough to handle what ever you see fit to place on it. The sheet metal gauge is very thick and the frame equally as heavy. I think this may be by design where there are no cooling structures up top. It’s big enough and deep enough for this amp...but it weighs 90 lbs. I know lexicon amps are very heavy. I can’t find any documentation anywhere that discusses this, nor do I have an easy way of splitting things up. I’ve had a Nakamichi PA-1 in the system that’s 54 or so lbs.

Any one with experience like this out there please chime in.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Just my thoughts and maybe I'm wrong but again it's just my opinion.
For the price of that Lexicon I wouldn't place anything on top of it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I avoid stacking gear whenever possible. To that end, I use a proper equipment rack designed to support my gear and separate it properly.

When working on client sites, I tell them the same thing and I do my best to separate their gear and keep it all properly ventilated.

Here's the bottom line: My experience is that the number one (NUMBER ONE!!!!) killer of AV gear is poor product ventilation. If you stack gear and pack it together and it all dies, you have nobody to blame but yourself. You know you can't suffocate electronics. It's VERY bad for them. So, don't do it. Go buy something new to put your gear on and this time, get something designed properly to support AV gear.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
This from the fine folks at Lexicon,

Hello

Thank you for your inquiry,

We wouldn't know the answer to that as we don't stack our products on top of one another. We use a rack that separates the units, and we do this 100% of the time, even in our labs. We also don't ever recommend stacking product on top of each other.

We unfortunately cannot offer any "weight" recommendation.

Thanks,

Matthew J. Corbett
Field Support Engineer
Harman Luxury Audio Group, Lifestyle Division

8500 Balboa Blvd
Northridge, CA 91406

I will obey.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah the whole stack thing outside of living at the parents house in a limited bedroom I just don't understand and even then never had to stack.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I avoid stacking gear whenever possible. To that end, I use a proper equipment rack designed to support my gear and separate it properly.

When working on client sites, I tell them the same thing and I do my best to separate their gear and keep it all properly ventilated.

Here's the bottom line: My experience is that the number one (NUMBER ONE!!!!) killer of AV gear is poor product ventilation. If you stack gear and pack it together and it all dies, you have nobody to blame but yourself. You know you can't suffocate electronics. It's VERY bad for them. So, don't do it. Go buy something new to put your gear on and this time, get something designed properly to support AV gear.
What equipment racks do you suggest?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What equipment racks do you suggest?
I use fairly expensive stuff from Middle Atlantic, but in reality, I have used some VERY inexpensive racks and stands for some of my installations where they weren't public facing. I often get stuff from Wayfair...

They have a ton of stuff available at all sorts of different price points. Plus a ton of styles which match up with almost everyone's setup in some way.

I am up to four different racks in use in my home at this point. One integrated into my wall and three 43 space racks in my basement...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis