A question for an EE - Surge protector joule ratings - how much is enough

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
What a poser. What would you be without google and cut and paste??

If jneutron had industry experience, then he knew neither UL nor NEC say anything about how surge protection works. Those non-profit organizations only discuss human safety. Anyone with basic electrical experience would know that.
I guess I should rip up my copies of NEC, specifically articles 280-285?

Guess your google search didn't include that, eh??

Try again. This is fun.

Ah, almost forgot. This from your link:

Remedy

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled surge protectors, unplug them and contact Schneider Electric for a free replacement surge protector.
So much for "all SPD's are bad".. The remedy for the faulty SPD is, lo and behold... a different SPD..

You make me laugh.

Perhaps you should actually read what you google/copy/paste? Or is it too much to ask you to learn?

jn

Last edited by a moderator:
W

westom

Audioholic
I guess I should rip up my copies of NEC, specifically articles 280-285?
Again you make an empty accuastion. If it said what you claim, then you quote it. NEC says how to connect surge proetctors ... so that human life is not threatened. NEC says nothing about low impedance connections, where hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate, what a current sourc is, or how to make longitudinal transient irrelevant. Because all that is irrelevant to human safety.

jneutron did not know that the NEC and UL do not rate product performance. NEC and UL only address human safety issued. Anyone who spent more time learning and less time posting cheapshots would know that.

Anyone who knows surge protection also knows why plug-in protectors must be protected by properly earthing a 'whole house' protector. Because the tiny joues in plug-in protectors even have a history of creating house firs - as even so many fire departments note. Notice he ignored the fire department warning. But then he did not even know NEC and UL are about human safety issues - not about surge protection.

Just to be clear, he did not even know what UL and NEC do. And could not post any NEC paragrapph that supports his accusations. And sagain he psts accusations and cheapshots.

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
If it said what you claim, then you quote it.
Why? You never quote reality. You make up numbers.

You need to actually read and comprehend, you fail to do this simple thing.

NEC says how to connect surge proetctors ... so that human life is not threatened. NEC says nothing about low impedance connections,

REALLY?? NEC says nothing about low impedance connections??

So I guess I can toss out article 250 as well. You know, the article called "grounding and bonding"?

It's really not a surprise that directly under your moniker is the phrase "westom a forum troll idiot that just begs for attention.."

It's actually quite accurate.

Luckily, I only respond to you because it's fun calling out all your "idiotic" statements.

You do understand that nobody believes a word you say here, right? Almost everybody is here to laugh at your incoherence...

You do provide entertainment in an otherwise dull topic...keep up the good work.
jn

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wish I had more time but not right now so I will leave it to jneutron should he choose to continue..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So why are 1st semester engineres taught about current sources and voltage sources?
So they would understand what current and voltage sources mean, if you were taught and paid attention, we wouldn't be having this discussion.:D

Did you ignore the Wikipedia citaon that demonstrates your mistake?
What mistake are you referring to?

Surge protection of appliances, like surge protection of buildings, means near zero voltages and extremely high amperes (ie 20,000 amps) Any device that could foolishly try to stop or block a surge (a current source) creates and suffers from a high voltage. That voltage only exists when a current source is blocked (see the formula V=IR). Direct lightning strikes without damage has always been about connecting a surge current harmlesslyl to earth so that a near zero voltage exists.

Another popular urban myth is surges created by power cycling major appliances. If those appliances create a surge, then they destoy themselves. If they create surges, the the protector is on the surge generating appliance - not on the victims. But those appoliances only create noise; not surges. Noise that may be as much as ten volts. Noise easily made irrelevant by protection already inside every appliance. Protection required by international design standards even decades before an IBM PC existed.
Since you seemed to have some faith in Schneider Electric, I thought you should know that they have the following to say about power disturbances in one of their TVSS literatue

"Lightning and fluctuations in utility power (caused by grid switching, for example) are often assumed to be the main sources of power disturbances. However, the overwhelming cause is actually equipment, such as motors and appliances, turning on and off. Even simply switching lights on and off will cause electrical surges.

In fact, 63% ofall transient voltage surges are generated from inside sources, while only 37% come from outside.

Key Causes of Internal Transients:
•Motors witching
•X-ray generators
•AC chillers
•Production machinery
•Robotics
•Welders
•Laser printers
•Copiers

•Capacitor bank switching
• Pumps"

And finally, if HVAC is creating surges daily, then MOVs in power strips are degraded (fail) in weeks or months. They are not designed for events that occur hourly. Their design specs are for events that occur maybe once every seven years. Just another reason why you know 120 volt appliances (ie HVAC) are not creating 330+ volt surges hourly or daily. Read the number on that protector box. It ignored any transiet (ie 10 volt noise) that does not exceed 330 volts. How often do your appliances suffer 330+ volt surges from the vacuum or HVAC? Never. But the myth is popular and easy to promote in a sound byte to consumers who ignore numbers.
I did not say most of those things, so don't be confused. In fact, in my initial responses I only cited lightning and switching as the main causes of surges. I only mentioned appliances because you yourself mentioned it in your post#92 and I even said surges resulted from them were far from being current sources.

Read numbers in that Wikipedia citation rather than assume all electricity comes from a voltage source.
Again you got it backward, you seem to think voltage source is created by a current source, no!! A voltage source, such as that from a generator, battery, charged capacitor, lightning clouds drives current through a load, governed by at least Ohm's law, among others. A voltage is then developed across the load, to the "source" (yes voltage), the voltage across the load is actually a form of voltage drop, but it is defintely not the source. The source is, I repeat, the "source" that causes the current to flow in the first place. Current source can be considered as a voltage source that has a high enough voltage and its internal impedance, or conversely output impedance is high enough such that the impedance of the load will not matter much. In reality, even the so called current sources, require a real voltage source, a generator capable of very high voltage and internal impedance is again, just one example. There are really not much point in debating the terms, it is more important to understand what they really mean. Norton and Thevinin, among others, used them as mathematical models for circuit analysis purposes. There is no need to get wrapped up in trying to address the OP's concerns.

Let me try to use an example that does not even need to call for Norton's and Thevinin's theorem.

A voltage source of say 100,000 volts to ground, and internal resistance or high output resistance (for simplicity, use pure resistance as example) of 10,000 ohms.

V=IR, so I=100,000/10,000=10A when connected to a load of zero impedance.

Now, insert a resistance of 1 ohm between the source's Live terminal and ground terminal and we get:

I=100,000/(1000+1)=9.999A

Or insert a resistance of 2 ohms, between the same two points and we get:

I=100,000/(1000+2)=9.998A,

Insert a resistance of 10 ohms, and you will get:

I=100,000/(1000+10)=9.99A.

So in this numerical example, increase the load impedance 10 times, the current remains practically constant and you get the idea how such one form of a current source works and that it still involves a voltage source of 100,000V. As I mentioned before, current sources are created by human, I cited current transformers as an easy to understand example and that's just one example in the non electronic world.

current source means that constant current must flow. Therefore from V=IR, voltage must increase if that current is blocked. That increased voltage is why protectors that must block a surge are easily destroyed - provide ineffective protection.
I am not going to say you are wrong, but may be just a little confused or inadvertently misled by Wiki. No offense, Googling is a great way to learn, but at some point you may want to read some text books too. I relied on Dr. Google as well, but I (I am sure jneutron too) also learnt things from textbooks and lecturers when in colleges and universities. As a matter of fact I happened to have had hands on experience with high end TVSS such as those used in municipal outdoor systems, industrial systems, and SA's up to 230,000 volts including those made by GE and ABB, and unfortunately had to replace some damaged ones over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone who knows surge protection also knows why plug-in protectors must be protected by properly earthing a 'whole house' protector. Because the tiny joues in plug-in protectors even have a history of creating house firs - as even so many fire departments note. Notice he ignored the fire department warning. But then he did not even know NEC and UL are about human safety issues - not about surge protection.
You are still claiming that surges in households are only resulted from lightning, even direct hit?? I thought you believe in Wiki or at least Schneider Electric?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Lightning voltages can increase so much as easily blow through anything including power strip protectors
Agree, when stated this way. Just try not to confuse the issue using the term "source". The source is still a voltage source (I hate that term too), but the origin of the potential difference between the cloud and ground (not talking cloud to cloud) is so high and the insulation of the air mass in between is also high, that makes this original "source" behaves like a "current source".

(typically so undersized as to fail catastrophically at maybe 900 volts and only hundreds of joules). Lightning voltages are potentially so high as to even make wooden church steeples into electrical conductors. Again, voltage increases as necessary to conduct to earth via wood.
You are still talking direct hit? In that case, I would worry more about fire and life if a household is faced with a direct hit, i.e. the house or part of it is in the path of the flash.

Not only is that lesser surge also a current source (albeit with a lesser possible maximum voltage).
Good to see that you are now qualifying your current source statement. Again, better not to get fixated with a technical terminology. Current, voltage sources are just terms we use as models for circuit analysis using Thevenin, Norton's theorem, among others. They are really interchangeable if conditions are stated clearly. Yes it is easier to understand voltage as most people know a little or more about generators, batteries, capacitors (charged) and even Ohm's law but much less about the more complicated power supplies and advanced circuit theories.

Voltage does not increase if that current (ie lightning) is connected low impedance (ie a connection less than 10 feet) to single point earth ground. This solution is proven by over 100 years of science and experience. Then surges due to stray cars, utility switching, linemen errors, etc are also made irrelevant. Some delivering more energy than lightning; others less. All create no damage, even to a protector, IF properly installed.
Also agree as you are now stating the obviously. I could have said something but it would just be for argument sake so I won't bother.

Spend less money to have protection even from direct lightning strikes. Then all types of surges are routinely averted.
I don't know what you mean by this but that's okay, no need to response.

W

westom

Audioholic
You are still claiming that surges in households are only resulted from lightning, even direct hit??
As explained repeatedly, protection from all types of surges must also protect from the classic example - lightning. Then even smaller surges that destroy power strip protectors (but do not overwhelm protection inside appliances) are also averted. A 'whole house' soluton protects from all types of surges. Power strips only claim to protect from a type of surge that typically does not do damage. These lesser transients are described by phrases such as voltage source and normal mode. Having a protector so undersized as to fail promotes recommendations based in myths.

Protection from transients created by squirrels, stray cars, and utility mistakes requires protection that also protects from lightning. These are electrically similar. Lightning is simply an example of what all effective protection schemes protect from. If a protector does not protect from direct lightning strikes, then why did that consumer spend tens of times more money for it? Superior protection (to also protect from direct lighting strikes) costs about $1 per protected appliance.

'Current source' says why a surge increases voltage as necessary to blow through anything that might obstruct it. Voltage increases as necessary to blow through an open switch or series mode filter. If a surge was a voltage source and that voltage did not exceed an open switch's rated voltage, then the voltage source does not blow through. But a current source increases voltage as necessary. Nothing stops or blocks a destructive surge.

Noise from motors, et al are not surges. But when APC needed to manipulat the naive, they hype noise as a surge. Even their own protectors ignore the noise generated by motors, et al. So why does anyone need protection from motor noise? They don't. The advertising myth is directed at technicians and consumers who ignore numbers and would not know the difference.

Surge protector comes with a numnber - 330 volts. That means the interior 63% transients (all but invented by APC sales promoters) are even ignored by APC products. Why did APC even mention it? It creates fear among the naive to sell a product that is obscene profit and little useful.

Last edited:
J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
You are still claiming that surges in households are only resulted from lightning, even direct hit?? I thought you believe in Wiki or at least Schneider Electric?
Peng,

Nice try, thanks for the effort.

w-dude ignores pretty much all facts, and absolutely does not understand the engineering aspects. As you are learning, lack of knowledge has not been a hindrance to him.

Soon, he'll be pasting links to a bad antennae ground without having read it, Martzloff's upside down house paper again, without reading or understanding it, and then accusing you too of never providing numbers immediately after a post where you provide numbers.

Take heart in the fact that the moderators here are very quick to pull any post in which w-dude accuses you of illegal and terribly immoral behavior.

jn

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
I don't think I've ever seen the terms "voltage source" and "current source" used this way before.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng,

Nice try, thanks for the effort.

w-dude ignores pretty much all facts, and absolutely does not understand the engineering aspects. As you are learning, lack of knowledge has not been a hindrance to him.

Soon, he'll be pasting links to a bad antennae ground without having read it, Martzloff's upside down house paper again, without reading or understanding it, and then accusing you too of never providing numbers immediately after a post where you provide numbers.

Take heart in the fact that the moderators here are very quick to pull any post in which w-dude accuses you of illegal and terribly immoral behavior.

jn
Thanks, I am ready to move on.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis