Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the look of metal roofs myself. From some folks around here who have them they sing a chorus about two problems. The first is noise. A heavy rain storm can be a very noisy experience, and everyone says it gets old after a while. The second problem, at least here in the desert southwest, is that they can be dented by large hail. On the plus side metal roofs won't be penetrated by large hail, so you avoid water damage, but pock marks can lower the value of the home. I'm told the repair consists of replacing the panels, a substantial effort, and probably involves painting too. Some of the custom homes in our area have metal roofs, and I think they look great.
Complaining about heavy rain storms in the desert has to be something you do when there is absolutely nothing else wrong with your life but you love to complain. I seen a few metal roofs out your way. I'm not a fan. I like flat roofs because they draw heat energy from below to evaporate water but that's more of an advantage in Fla than the desert. I can see how living under a swimming pool could lead to problems though ... like drowning. :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Complaining about heavy rain storms in the desert has to be something you do when there is absolutely nothing else wrong with your life but you love to complain.
Actually, we get some pretty impressive cloudbursts. Most of the southwest is a desert, but we get a monsoon season in the summer when it rains frequently and often hard. Having heard the effect once, I think I'd prefer a silent roof.

Flat roofs are like swimming pools only when the drains clog. The biggest problem is leaks.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Did you price out the Tesla solar roof? Not the panels.

On my house for a 10.1kW system it comes to $39,948 with 3 Powerwalls, or $27558 without the Powerwalls after incentives. HOA cannot object to solar roof or solar panels, by my State law. Unfortunately, I had my roof redone only 5 years ago so cannot justify solar roof now.

D

DaisyBerry

Audiophyte
Actually, it sounds like you got a pretty good deal for $30K.

Cedar shake roofs are actually pretty common up and down the west coast, including, for example, in Portland, OR. I hear you about the regular repair and maintenance costs. I've sworn off cedar roofs completely, after owning two homes with them, but now I have the ultimate in a PITA roof style - a flat roof. So dumb...

Cedar shakes do have advantages on the west coast for earthquakes and fires. The most preferred roofing material is concrete tile, and in the event of a quake or a big fire the heavyweight roof can collapse on you, and you'll almost surely die. The shakes just burn up in case of fire, and, if dry, they don't weigh much and are far safer for big quakes. In California asphalt shingles are not seen all that often, and the hot sun eats them up anyway.

In climates with a lot of wetness, like Portland, shingle roofs also have a lot of maintenance. Moss often builds up on the roof, and every year or two you need to have a crew come out with some magic low-pressure power washer and clean the moss off, and then they spread this powder stuff infused with copper to slow future moss growth. Depending on how complicated, large, and high up your roof is the cleaning and preventative stuff can cost into four figures.

Personally, if I had to choose a favorite roofing material for a sloped roof it would be the new synthetic shakes made from old tires. Even a big hail storm doesn't hurt them. Flat concrete tile is my runner-up. (The curved mission-style stuff breaks too easily.) Asphalt and cedar shakes aren't on my personal preferred list.
We prefer concrete shingles due to the ease of cleaning the moss from them. we had clay tiles but they were very delicate and kept breaking when we removed the moss it took us a while to figure out how to actually clean our roofs but we used the tool from https://roofscraper.co.uk/ with the wire brushes. seemed to work pretty well but the poles were pretty heavy to use

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis