A new reason to dig out your vinyl...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
From the article:
"But with vinyl making a comeback, the Gabriel may appeal to audiophiles who believe that listening to old records on a high-end player is like going back in time."​

Hee, hee. That wouldn't be like going back in time to me. I used to listen to scratched records on my parents' old record player that had a built-in speaker. I loved it - but I would need a $50 record player to really feel like I was going back in time. :)

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
I think this TT needs a robotic arm to place an LP on the table. I'd be afraid to knock off one of the 4 arms. I'm a vinyl fan (maybe more of a fanatic), but this design is just for "arts sake".

John

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh So this is how they got quadraphonic sound :p

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That's funny! Can you imagine all 4 arms being played at the same time? LOL!
I noticed your turntable..and I admit that I've never heard of that TT manufacturer before. Do you like it?

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
I noticed your turntable..and I admit that I've never heard of that TT manufacturer before. Do you like it?
Revolver TT's are a British manufacturer that has seen many ups and downs, ownership changes, etc in its lifetime. They were a non-entity for many years, but are back again with a new TT called the "Replay", which has a MSRP of $3,500. You can see it here

The turntable I have is more than 20-yrs old and is starting to show it's age, but I cannot part (replace yes, sell no) with it. As a last ditch effort, I recently had it somehwat overhauled (serviced) and replaced the belt, changed the cartridge and added a Phono pre-amp to get more ooomph out of it.

It has been a delight to own all these years and I've had thousands of hours of great enjoyment from it. It is time however for a new TT and I'm in the process of deciding what to buy in the second half of this year.

My dream is to get an Oracle Delphi V, but that is out of my league, so as a slight step downwards I've given serious consideration to the VPI Aries 3.

John

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Revolver TT's are a British manufacturer that has seen many ups and downs, ownership changes, etc in its lifetime. They were a non-entity for many years, but are back again with a new TT called the "Replay", which has a MSRP of $3,500. You can see it here

The turntable I have is more than 20-yrs old and is starting to show it's age, but I cannot part (replace yes, sell no) with it. As a last ditch effort, I recently had it somehwat overhauled (serviced) and replaced the belt, changed the cartridge and added a Phono pre-amp to get more ooomph out of it.

It has been a delight to own all these years and I've had thousands of hours of great enjoyment from it. It is time however for a new TT and I'm in the process of deciding what to buy in the second half of this year.

My dream is to get an Oracle Delphi V, but that is out of my league, so as a slight step downwards I've given serious consideration to the VPI Aries 3.

John
That its a nice looking table. Very nice. While at UNB, there was an audio store in Fredericton that carried an Oracle with a Delphi tonearm. If I ever get some serious coin, I'm going to spring for one of them as well. Its a beautiful table and pictures of it just don't do it justice.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't listen to vinyl anymore because I'm too lazy to do all that work (yes, I'm very lazy :D), but I think that there are some beautiful turntables out there (like the picture in the attachment above). The engineering and aesthetics are admirable.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't listen to vinyl anymore because I'm too lazy to do all that work (yes, I'm very lazy :D), but I think that there are some beautiful turntables out there (like the picture in the attachment above). The engineering and aesthetics are admirable.
Here's a CD player by them..See?!! I respect your laziness :D

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Here's a CD player by them..See?!! I respect your laziness :D
WOW!!! That thing is beautiful. Do you have a link to their site for that?

Too bad that I'm also too lazy to load CDs anymore... :eek: :D

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
A friend of mine has the Oracle Delphi Mk II or III version. He's running with a Melior/Meitner amp/pre-amp combo and some Vandersteen's. Amazing setup for something that is like 15 yrs old, if not older!

John

itschris

itschris

That's funny! Can you imagine all 4 arms being played at the same time? LOL!
I was thinking the same thing. Actually, I first wondered if you were supposed to! Then I figured you couldn't possibly since it's linear and each needle would be on a different part of the song.

I wonder what that would sound like... I wonder if it would have a cool echo effect or just sound like sh*t?

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
I was thinking the same thing. Actually, I first wondered if you were supposed to! Then I figured you couldn't possibly since it's linear and each needle would be on a different part of the song.

I wonder what that would sound like... I wonder if it would have a cool echo effect or just sound like sh*t?
Would be kind of cool for DJ's to experiment with! Might develop a "new" sound! But damn....ruining all that precious vinyl would hurt!

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
A friend of mine has the Oracle Delphi Mk II or III version. He's running with a Melior/Meitner amp/pre-amp combo and some Vandersteen's. Amazing setup for something that is like 15 yrs old, if not older!

John
2-channel and analog gear have amazing staying power. Heck, my upstairs off-the-bedroom stereo consists of a 1978-ish Yamaha CR-820 receiver (50wpc) and 1977 Polk Monitor 7B speakers (the ones with the Peerless tweeters with the little holes in the domes, a Polk factory mod) driven by whatever stray CD player I catch scurrying around and shove in. :) I paid $40 for the receiver at Goodwill and bought the speakers from another audio collector for $60. The receiver still plays beautifully and the speakers are delightful...smooth, musical, and coherent. 50 a side is plenty for the smallish space the system occupies...it's nice to sit in the alcove at night and unwind to nice jazz on Public Radio.

TP

TP

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
2-channel and analog gear have amazing staying power. Heck, my upstairs off-the-bedroom stereo consists of a 1978-ish Yamaha CR-820 receiver (50wpc) and 1977 Polk Monitor 7B speakers (the ones with the Peerless tweeters with the little holes in the domes, a Polk factory mod) driven by whatever stray CD player I catch scurrying around and shove in. :) I paid $40 for the receiver at Goodwill and bought the speakers from another audio collector for $60. The receiver still plays beautifully and the speakers are delightful...smooth, musical, and coherent. 50 a side is plenty for the smallish space the system occupies...it's nice to sit in the alcove at night and unwind to nice jazz on Public Radio.

TP

TP
I love the 2-channel analog portion of my setup more than I do the HT part. For the last 6 months I've been enjoying it even more as I made some upgrades to it. And literally every night I play some vinyl. I sit back with a cold beer and just enjoy the music.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Wow .. that's a heavy price tag for cosmetics. I'm sure you can get the same SQ with just $1500-$2000 investment, which is where I believe one can get a player that is low enough in resonance, and comes with a sufficient low resonance/accurate tone arm, as to allow the stylus to accurately do it's job, assuming one shops very wisely. I have seen some very questionable as well as excellent units in this price range.

If one is willing to do a bit of modification and/or DIY, they could achieve a neutral unit for just a few hundred dollars.

-Chris

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow .. that's a heavy price tag for cosmetics. I'm sure you can get the same SQ with just $1500-$2000 investment, which is where I believe one can get a player that is low enough in resonance, and comes with a sufficient low resonance/accurate tone arm, as to allow the stylus to accurately do it's job, assuming one shops very wisely. I have seen some very questionable as well as excellent units in this price range.

If one is willing to do a bit of modification and/or DIY, they could achieve a neutral unit for just a few hundred dollars.

-Chris
Have you even heard them play? :rolleyes:

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
There is always a reason to dig out vinyl, because it has soul

..that turntable in the article is out of this world haha. Neat stuff. It would be kinda hard to put vinyl records on there though because you'd have to grab from the top and avoid all those arms. Think about how you grab a record, its always from the side opposite the arm... on that deck it would be pretty tough. Just a thought.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis