a new day..a new discussion.

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
just a quick post to get some conversation going....this does not pertain to anything specific within the audio realm.

With the incredible explosion in the htib industry/products,do you feel this will help or hurt the home theater industry in general ?

I'm not sure if it is something completely unmeasurable or not,and i highly doubt there is a correct answer....

my thoughts are that initially,the home theater industry in general will obviously benefit from the increase in htib's being sold and marketed to the mass public...however...the long term effects....thats what im curious about...

will the mass public eventually get sick of constantly updated and new media that their current htib's can't or wont' play ? Will the wow factor that isnt readily available in htib's give people the wrong impression on what home theater could and should sound like ? Will people continue to buy these products when they have reciever/dvd issues that basically leaves them with a room full of unusable ( in their eyes ) speakers ? I personally think that the htib in the box will eventually have to introduce higher quality components in order to survive....if that is the case...what will that do to the high end/custom audio business ?

enough rambling for now.........i'll check back on thoughts later.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
There are those...

...who constantly bash a specific company as being more of a marketing company than anything else, yet fail to realize the whole HT-thing is just that...marketing, planned obsolescence and all...reissuing software in multiple formats and even though a great deal of it is bought and paid for many times over, the manufacturers still price them as though they were brand new...the excuse being "anniversary issues", "director's cut", "previously unseen footage"...that sort of hype...

jimHJJ(...watch out for the laser-totin' mechanical lizards...)

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
resident,i certainly agree with the post....and,i am in a sense referencing that certain company..well,to a point.

what impression would one get of the whole home theater concept when they buy box theater systems from uneducated retailers and salespeople...take them home...set them up with no real,educated guidence...and aren't impressed enough with the system to get more self involved and educated . I think that it could possibly end any further pursuits of quality home theater component purchases...then again,it could certainly lead them to search out for higher quality gear so they can attain what they are looking for in a home system.....im sure the discussion could go on and on with no real answer,but..thats just my opinion....

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
RhapsodyinBlack:

We don't need to make up a topic "to get some conversation going". There are hundreds of interesting threads here, and yes, this is an audio forum. That's what we talk about here.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I think it can only stimulate the entire industry, five years ago there was only a select niche market that had any type of surround sound system in the home. With the advent of the HTIB setup, people all over the place are experiencing a home theater for the first time ever. It's just like any other electronic people start out with an entry level setup, HTIB, and if they enjoy the experience and want a little more they make the step up. With the increase of sales in HTIB type systems there's just going to be even more people interested in something with a little more performance. From personal experience thats how I was also introduced to home theater by a Sony HTIB being given to me as a present, then from me having one, my dad has also purchased one, and now we both want to upgrade and get a little bit more.

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
canuck...im sorry,i thought conversation relating to the home a/v industry was a worthy topic..you certainly arent forced to read or reply to such an uninteresting thread as there are hundreds of interesting threads that are tired and beat to death that you can concentrate on....

annunaki

annunaki

I think what would make the industry boom is this: Ease of use. If all components, regardless of brand, "talked" to each other so 1 (ONE) simple remote could be used it would help greatly. 1 big remote with giant buttons, and simple labeling.

Back to the topic:

I feel that HTIB is good and bad

The Good:

It gets people involved with audio

Problems with HTIB can benefit specialty retailers

Upgraditis could catch like wild fire

It spurs early DVD releases

It gets younger generations interested in audio and technology

It helps to spur on better technology progression (higher end)

The Bad:

Poor quality components

Poor quality of sound

The two above could turn people off to the market

Complexity of some systems can turn people off

System ergronomics sometimes limit (system) potential for some uneducated users

The Theater industry is starting to feel effects ( though there can be other explanations, but it is a factor)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis