A good isolating headphone

C

cilic

Audiophyte
Hello evrybody

I'm looking for a good isolating headphone about 300/400 max.
With isolating I mean that I really can't anything even is there alot alot of noise.
And of course supreme music quality. Now i have de beats studio and those block nothing only if you put your music so loud that evryone in the buss can hear at what i'm listening and after a while the music level gets annoying for me also.

Ps:sorry for my bad English

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Well, $300/$400 max is outside of my range...In the $100 or less category, my personal recommendations are:

Over-the-ear: Sennheiser HD280s - good isolation, decent sound, good bass extension but not bass heavy (a little "thin" sounding to me, actually). They're a little bulky to carry around, but I've done so.

In-the-ear: Klipsch Image s4: A bit bass-heavy, but not obnoxious. I find them very comfortable for non-custom in-ears. They have good isolation - a bit more then the HD280s - but not so much that you're cut off from the world. They're a good overall compromise in comfort/sound/isolation at the price range.

These choices seem to have moderately better isolation than the Beats:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID[]=1383&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=1953

If you want much stronger isolation, you might want to get recommendations other in-ear phones such as Etymotic or Shure.

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Personally I would skip the noise cancellation headphones that work with batteries. They would indeed provide the best isolation but the tradeoff it makes with sound quality IMO is not worth it. If you want the best of both worlds - isolation and sound quality I would recommend the Shure SRH-440 headphones that go for around $80.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
DENON AH-NC800 seem decent - but I never had ones. I don't like the noise cancelling stuff. You'd be better off with some "in the ear" stuff - you get best of both worlds - noise cancellation and good sound.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Personally I would skip the noise cancellation headphones that work with batteries. They would indeed provide the best isolation but the tradeoff it makes with sound quality IMO is not worth it. If you want the best of both worlds - isolation and sound quality I would recommend the Shure SRH-440 headphones that go for around $80.
Agree 100%

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I need suggestions for upto 200ish in-ear isolating headphones (or headsets)
How about Shure SE315 ??

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
bump. guys, I need to make decision soon, currently more inclined to go with cheaper pro model - SCL2

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
G-D, shortly after I posted link to B&H someone bought the last pair and now it's gone :mad::mad: I hope it's just was a coincidence...

Anyhow, f it all - I'm opening my wallet wide open and getting Shure SE425 :D
will post mini-review in a few days of testing

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
G-D, shortly after I posted link to B&H someone bought the last pair and now it's gone :mad::mad: I hope it's just was a coincidence...

Anyhow, f it all - I'm opening my wallet wide open and getting Shure SE425 :D
will post mini-review in a few days of testing
I am getting the Beyer 880 - a good pair of canes are worth the money. Especially if you put a lot of miles on them :)
Heard good things about in-ear head-phones but just not my thing... Shure SE425 got good reviews. Congrats - I'm waiting for the review - remember - it didn't happened until we see the pictures and read the review :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am getting the Beyer 880 - a good pair of canes are worth the money. Especially if you put a lot of miles on them :)
Heard good things about in-ear head-phones but just not my thing... Shure SE425 got good reviews. Congrats - I'm waiting for the review - remember - it didn't happened until we see the pictures and read the review :D
In Ear is preferred due to passive noise blocking. Active ones mess-up the sound. So - compact, noise blocking and high quality output - these were my requirements. I currently have HF2 - they were ok, not great, but ok - after more than a year I still haven't found such fitting at which I'd get the bass I wanted... Plus now the left channel is really much quieter than right and cleaning didn't helped... so I needed new ones.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I like my Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Pro in ear monitors ($190 @ Amazon). The only thing that I'd change is tips. I haven't found tips that I like as much as the expanding tips that I had for my old Shures. The standard UE tips are okay, but the soft aftermarket foam tips don't expand aggressively enough for my taste. I'll probably have a custom set made this summer.

Last edited:
S

SocyFisher

Enthusiast
AKG Acoustics K 518 DJ would be a perfect choice. It has a good sound quality and can present music in an exciting manner.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
@Boerd: I just googled around to get some info on the Beyer 880s. They do look like good cans but look like they'll need a decent amp as well to open up. I agree that the way to go is with head rather than earphones (unless you're using them outside). I've been looking for a pair of good quality closed cans for a while. I'm thinking about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 which got a great review here, http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/. Plus they're less than 1/2 the price of the Beyers.

Edit: Did some more googling (how did anyone know anything before google came around, :). The Beyers come in 32 ohm, 250 ohm, and 600 ohm flavors so that make it easy to find a pair that works with pretty much anything you might own.

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
@Boerd: I just googled around to get some info on the Beyer 880s. They do look like good cans but look like they'll need a decent amp as well to open up. I agree that the way to go is with head rather than earphones (unless you're using them outside). I've been looking for a pair of good quality closed cans for a while. I'm thinking about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 which got a great review here, http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/. Plus they're less than 1/2 the price of the Beyers.

It depends what model of the Beyer 880's your talking about. There is a 600 ohm, 250 ohm and 32 ohm version. The 32 ohm version is geared to be used with portable devices (MP3 players) and computers. The 600 ohm version will need an amp.

washburn

washburn

Audioholic
I don't quite get the 32 ohm Beyer 880s...from a practical viewpoint - it's for portable devices, but the DT880 itself is not a portable set at all, IMO:
Big, circumaural, and open back: so not really suitable for travel either, IMO.

At home laptop/pc music would be the only application, IMO

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I don't quite get the 32 ohm Beyer 880s...from a practical viewpoint - it's for portable devices, but the DT880 itself is not a portable set at all, IMO:
Big, circumaural, and open back: so not really suitable for travel either, IMO.

At home laptop/pc music would be the only application, IMO
Any full sized headphone is not really portable regardless of how easy or difficult they are to drive. If you want portable IEM's are the only way to go. With the 32 ohm version you get more versatility with use for your pc (music and gaming) as well as home theater system (receiver) and the bonus with portable devices. The DT880 600 ohm is much more for dedicated headphone setups.

I listen to full sized cans with portable devices around the house all the time.

washburn

washburn

Audioholic
I hate IEMs - Ugh - my ears must be shaped weird, they always hurt, and scratch and fall out.

I need regular HPs - but TRAVEL portability is a big requirement of my quest - along with good enough SQ for home audio...right now I don't want to spend for 2 different HPs, so I am trying to kill 2 birds with one HP :)...

Senn HD25-1, or the Aiaiai TMA1 seem very good to me, but dang even used ones are pricey....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis