A Few of my Favourite 'Phones

• Thread starter FirstReflection
  • Start date
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Just having a bit of fun here. Not meant to be a serious thread or comprehensive in any way. I just wanted to share my list of favourite headphones and earphones and why I like each of them :)

Let's begin!

1) My Favourite Inexpensive Earphones: Shure SE215 In-Ear Monitors

For me, acceptable sound starts at about $100 with the Shure SE215 In-Ear Monitors. There's also an available $50 replacement cable that adds a microphone and control button for smartphones and iPods.

To me, these are the perfect choice for portable earphones. These are my "exercise" earphones. The only way to wear them is with the cable wrapped up and over your ear, giving a nice, secure hold. I really love Shure's easy to detach and replace cable system (since if you're going to damage any part of your earphones, it's probably going to be the cord!). I also really love that the cord is nice and thick and doesn't have any microphonics - aka "cable thump".

The SE215 have a bit of a tipped up low end, which is great for people who like a bit stronger bass. And again, it's great for exercise when you want a nice, thumping drum beat ;) The top end is a little rolled off, so there's some detail missing. Also, if you use the silicone ear tips rather than the memory foam tips, they attenuate the high frequencies even more. The silicone tips are great for exercise though - no worries about sweat, which I'm guessing wouldn't be the best thing for the foam tips :p

Basically, these are what every mp3 player, iPod and iPhone SHOULD come with. I have a fantasy that if I ever win the lottery, I'm going to buy hundreds of SE215, walk around town, and whenever I see some poor, misguided soul using those awful white Apple earbuds, I'm going to walk up to them, yank those abominations out of their ears and hand them a pair of these! I'll be a legend in no time :D

2) My Favourite Earphones for Portable Use: Shure SE535 In-Ear Monitors

As you can probably guess from the brand and model number, these are the "big brother" to the affordable SE215. The SE535 are a triple-driver In-Ear Monitor and they are sublime.

If you want to hear delineation. If you want to hear accuracy. If you want to hear perfect transient response and every single detail in your recordings while you're on the go - these are your earphones!

Now, a lot of people are going to point to the somewhat less expensive SE425 model and say they're almost identical in sound, so why pay more for the SE535? And they're right. The SE425 are excellent and almost just as good! But if you're already considering $250-$300 for the SE425, I say, why not go whole hog and pony up another $100 for the SE535? :cool:

What do you get for that extra bill? A tiny bit more extension on the top. A tiny bit more extension on the bottom. And a tiny bit flatter frequency response. Honestly, that's about it. But isn't that worth it? If you're looking at $250-$300 earphones, I think you're more than just a casual listener. I think you're after phenomenal sound. The SE425 are great. Don't get me wrong! But the SE535 are just that little bit better. Why not treat yourself? ;)

Same great cable design benefits as the SE215. Same over-the-ear cable position for a secure fit. But with the SE535, don't alter the sound by using the silicone tips. Stick with the foam tips and enjoy all the amazing detail and absolutely perfect bass reproduction that the SE535 can offer!

3) My Favourite Affordable "Let's Get Some Work Done" Headphones: Sennheiser HD280 PRO

You wanna record, mix and edit a podcast? You wanna do some DJ work? You want some comfortable, durable, accurate headphones that can block out a lot of noise and let you get some work done whether you're at home or on a job site? You want all that for easily under $100?

Then the HD280 PRO are your headphones. Slap these on, block out the outside world and let yourself escape and focus on your sound. Love these workhorses!

4) My Favourite TV Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

They're ugly. They cost around $200-$250. But you won't find any headphones that are more comfortable to wear and easy to listen to for hours and hours and hours.

With an open back, the HD598 don't block out the world or completely stop someone sitting right next to you from hearing a bit of sound "leakage". But when it comes to watching TV? These are just about perfect.

When I'm watching TV, I don't want to be completely deaf to all sounds around me. I still wanna hear the phone ring or the doorbell. I wanna be able to talk to someone - with the headphone still on or very easily slipped off for a moment and then slipped quickly back on when the ads are over.

The HD598 are SUPER comfy, sound great, give less of that "in between your ears" type of sound and more of an "open" and natural soundstage, and really are just perfect for TV. I pick them over the less expensive HD558 and HD518 pretty much solely because of the better headband. The 558 and 518 use a velour-covered, foam headband that isn't very durable and gets kinda nasty just from sitting on your head and being in contact with the natural oils in your hair and a tiny bit of sweat. The HD598's headband is faux-leather and thus, more easily cleaned and more durable ;)

5) My Favourite Movie Headphones: Denon AH-D5000

Let's face it, when you watch a movie, you want to completely block out the outside world, escape into the movie, and you also want some thunderous bass when it's called for!

The Denon AH-D5000 are glorious. They're a closed-back headphone. And while the seal isn't quite tight enough to really block out all outside noise, you DO get the benefits of some absolutely awesome bass that no other headphones really match. Sure, there are some really bass heavy 'phones out there. But they don't have the detail, delineation, clarity and extension to go along with it.

The AH-D5000 can get a little hot with extended wear. That's why I think they're the perfect movie headphones. If you can't crank up a full surround sound system, slip a pair of these $450 beauties on and enjoy some theater sound anyway!

My Favourite Cost-No-Object, Intensive Listening, Music Headphones: Sennheiser HD800

Is it crazy to consider paying almost $1500 for a set of cans? Maybe. But then again, $1500 is not expensive at all for a pair of high-end speakers! And the HD800 are like a pair of $10,000 speakers that you can wear on your head!

They're basically perfect. You can hear EVERYTHING - good or bad - that's present in the recording. But you've gotta treat them the way you would some high-end speakers. They don't block out sound. They're very comfortable, but they're a serious piece of audio gear. You want the proper environment and the proper attention being paid to make these babies worth while! But if you want to really delve into your music and you don't have the budget for high-end speakers? These are the way to go!

My Final Thought:

I don't buy into the headphone amplifier hype. Not one little bit. Headphones take very, very little power to drive. Far less than 1 Watt. The notion of expensive headphone amplifiers is completely silly to me and I consider such gear nothing more than snake oil and taking advantage of audiophiles who think, "it's expensive, so it MUST be better, right?"

Don't be silly. Go into any professional recording or mixing studio and they're using inexpensive, professional headphone amps - usually 8 or 16-channel headphone amps so that multiple people can listen at the same time.

Don't get me wrong. The headphone output on every receiver I've ever owned has been crap. Noisy, lacking power and detail - just a very poor quality way to drive nice headphones. But you don't have to pay much. $25 can buy you a Behringer headphone amp that sounds a million times better. All that really matters is getting a silent noise floor and enough power to handle any set of headphone regardless of their efficiency or impedance. Any pro headphone amp can do that for well under $100, so don't buy into the hype!

Can't wait to read some of YOUR favourite 'phones and see what'cha think of my list :D

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Favorite headpones are the AKG 271MKII, Audio Technica AD700/AD900 Beyerdynamic, DT880 600ohm and the Audeze LCD2.

I don't agree that any pro headphone amp can drive any headphone especially either high impedance or low sensitivity headphones. Headphone amps are not made equal and neither are headphones. You even have to be careful even with your portable source of choice (iPod for example) when mating headphones as well as they are not made equal either (even though they can drive a low impedance headphone). A high output impedance from your portable source can alter the frequency frequency response of the headphones.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Just having a bit of fun here. Not meant to be a serious thread or comprehensive in any way. I just wanted to share my list of favourite headphones and earphones and why I like each of them :)

Let's begin!

1) My Favourite Inexpensive Earphones: Shure SE215 In-Ear Monitors

For me, acceptable sound starts at about $100 with the Shure SE215 In-Ear Monitors. There's also an available $50 replacement cable that adds a microphone and control button for smartphones and iPods.

To me, these are the perfect choice for portable earphones. These are my "exercise" earphones. The only way to wear them is with the cable wrapped up and over your ear, giving a nice, secure hold. I really love Shure's easy to detach and replace cable system (since if you're going to damage any part of your earphones, it's probably going to be the cord!). I also really love that the cord is nice and thick and doesn't have any microphonics - aka "cable thump".

The SE215 have a bit of a tipped up low end, which is great for people who like a bit stronger bass. And again, it's great for exercise when you want a nice, thumping drum beat ;) The top end is a little rolled off, so there's some detail missing. Also, if you use the silicone ear tips rather than the memory foam tips, they attenuate the high frequencies even more. The silicone tips are great for exercise though - no worries about sweat, which I'm guessing wouldn't be the best thing for the foam tips :p

Basically, these are what every mp3 player, iPod and iPhone SHOULD come with. I have a fantasy that if I ever win the lottery, I'm going to buy hundreds of SE215, walk around town, and whenever I see some poor, misguided soul using those awful white Apple earbuds, I'm going to walk up to them, yank those abominations out of their ears and hand them a pair of these! I'll be a legend in no time :D

2) My Favourite Earphones for Portable Use: Shure SE535 In-Ear Monitors

As you can probably guess from the brand and model number, these are the "big brother" to the affordable SE215. The SE535 are a triple-driver In-Ear Monitor and they are sublime.

If you want to hear delineation. If you want to hear accuracy. If you want to hear perfect transient response and every single detail in your recordings while you're on the go - these are your earphones!

Now, a lot of people are going to point to the somewhat less expensive SE425 model and say they're almost identical in sound, so why pay more for the SE535? And they're right. The SE425 are excellent and almost just as good! But if you're already considering $250-$300 for the SE425, I say, why not go whole hog and pony up another $100 for the SE535? :cool:

What do you get for that extra bill? A tiny bit more extension on the top. A tiny bit more extension on the bottom. And a tiny bit flatter frequency response. Honestly, that's about it. But isn't that worth it? If you're looking at $250-$300 earphones, I think you're more than just a casual listener. I think you're after phenomenal sound. The SE425 are great. Don't get me wrong! But the SE535 are just that little bit better. Why not treat yourself? ;)

Same great cable design benefits as the SE215. Same over-the-ear cable position for a secure fit. But with the SE535, don't alter the sound by using the silicone tips. Stick with the foam tips and enjoy all the amazing detail and absolutely perfect bass reproduction that the SE535 can offer!

3) My Favourite Affordable "Let's Get Some Work Done" Headphones: Sennheiser HD280 PRO

You wanna record, mix and edit a podcast? You wanna do some DJ work? You want some comfortable, durable, accurate headphones that can block out a lot of noise and let you get some work done whether you're at home or on a job site? You want all that for easily under $100?

Then the HD280 PRO are your headphones. Slap these on, block out the outside world and let yourself escape and focus on your sound. Love these workhorses!

4) My Favourite TV Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

They're ugly. They cost around $200-$250. But you won't find any headphones that are more comfortable to wear and easy to listen to for hours and hours and hours.

With an open back, the HD598 don't block out the world or completely stop someone sitting right next to you from hearing a bit of sound "leakage". But when it comes to watching TV? These are just about perfect.

When I'm watching TV, I don't want to be completely deaf to all sounds around me. I still wanna hear the phone ring or the doorbell. I wanna be able to talk to someone - with the headphone still on or very easily slipped off for a moment and then slipped quickly back on when the ads are over.

The HD598 are SUPER comfy, sound great, give less of that "in between your ears" type of sound and more of an "open" and natural soundstage, and really are just perfect for TV. I pick them over the less expensive HD558 and HD518 pretty much solely because of the better headband. The 558 and 518 use a velour-covered, foam headband that isn't very durable and gets kinda nasty just from sitting on your head and being in contact with the natural oils in your hair and a tiny bit of sweat. The HD598's headband is faux-leather and thus, more easily cleaned and more durable ;)

5) My Favourite Movie Headphones: Denon AH-D5000

Let's face it, when you watch a movie, you want to completely block out the outside world, escape into the movie, and you also want some thunderous bass when it's called for!

The Denon AH-D5000 are glorious. They're a closed-back headphone. And while the seal isn't quite tight enough to really block out all outside noise, you DO get the benefits of some absolutely awesome bass that no other headphones really match. Sure, there are some really bass heavy 'phones out there. But they don't have the detail, delineation, clarity and extension to go along with it.

The AH-D5000 can get a little hot with extended wear. That's why I think they're the perfect movie headphones. If you can't crank up a full surround sound system, slip a pair of these $450 beauties on and enjoy some theater sound anyway!

My Favourite Cost-No-Object, Intensive Listening, Music Headphones: Sennheiser HD800

Is it crazy to consider paying almost $1500 for a set of cans? Maybe. But then again, $1500 is not expensive at all for a pair of high-end speakers! And the HD800 are like a pair of $10,000 speakers that you can wear on your head!

They're basically perfect. You can hear EVERYTHING - good or bad - that's present in the recording. But you've gotta treat them the way you would some high-end speakers. They don't block out sound. They're very comfortable, but they're a serious piece of audio gear. You want the proper environment and the proper attention being paid to make these babies worth while! But if you want to really delve into your music and you don't have the budget for high-end speakers? These are the way to go!

My Final Thought:

I don't buy into the headphone amplifier hype. Not one little bit. Headphones take very, very little power to drive. Far less than 1 Watt. The notion of expensive headphone amplifiers is completely silly to me and I consider such gear nothing more than snake oil and taking advantage of audiophiles who think, "it's expensive, so it MUST be better, right?"

Don't be silly. Go into any professional recording or mixing studio and they're using inexpensive, professional headphone amps - usually 8 or 16-channel headphone amps so that multiple people can listen at the same time.

Don't get me wrong. The headphone output on every receiver I've ever owned has been crap. Noisy, lacking power and detail - just a very poor quality way to drive nice headphones. But you don't have to pay much. $25 can buy you a Behringer headphone amp that sounds a million times better. All that really matters is getting a silent noise floor and enough power to handle any set of headphone regardless of their efficiency or impedance. Any pro headphone amp can do that for well under $100, so don't buy into the hype!

Can't wait to read some of YOUR favourite 'phones and see what'cha think of my list :D
The output impedance on a Behringer UCA202 for example is 50 ohms. That is REALLY, REALLY HIGH! What you want is around 1 or less. This is an example how your amp or source can have a negative effect on certain headphones.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
mmm, I wasn't quite talking about a USB audio interface, which I'll grant you, isn't necessarily going to work well with any headphone load - no matter what.

I was more talking about pro studio headphone amps, like a Behringer PRO-XL HA4700, which, for $100, can pretty much drive anything.

What the heck kind of headphones are you using that are presenting themselves as a 1 Ohm load? :eek:

The $25 Behringer unit I mentioned is something like their MicroMon, which yeah, doesn't want any earphones lower than a 30 Ohm load, but there aren't a whole lot of quality headphones that are dipping below 32 Ohms anyway.

I was more talking in comparison to all the $500 and over $1000 "audiophile" headphone amps out there. Junk like the expensive Headroom amps that are freaking noisy and produce an audible hiss for all their jacked up prices. I'd much rather take a PRO-XL that'll drive anything above 8 Ohms, still pump out over 20dBu gain into the 300 Ohm Sennheiser HD800, do it all cleanly with a silent noise floor, do it for up to 4 pair if I want, and do it all for $100 ;)

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
mmm, I wasn't quite talking about a USB audio interface, which I'll grant you, isn't necessarily going to work well with any headphone load - no matter what.

I was more talking about pro studio headphone amps, like a Behringer PRO-XL HA4700, which, for $100, can pretty much drive anything.

What the heck kind of headphones are you using that are presenting themselves as a 1 Ohm load? :eek:

The $25 Behringer unit I mentioned is something like their MicroMon, which yeah, doesn't want any earphones lower than a 30 Ohm load, but there aren't a whole lot of quality headphones that are dipping below 32 Ohms anyway.

I was more talking in comparison to all the $500 and over $1000 "audiophile" headphone amps out there. Junk like the expensive Headroom amps that are freaking noisy and produce an audible hiss for all their jacked up prices. I'd much rather take a PRO-XL that'll drive anything above 8 Ohms, still pump out over 20dBu gain into the 300 Ohm Sennheiser HD800, do it all cleanly with a silent noise floor, do it for up to 4 pair if I want, and do it all for $100 ;)
You want an output impedance ideally as close to 0. The headphones you selected the Shures and Denon's would be most suspectible and could be negatively impacted by an output impedance of anything greater than 3 maybe even 2. Hinder the power output and alter the frequency response. What is the output impedance on that Behringer?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My favorite Portable (from my own experiences) Shure SE425 - Sorry can't compare them to SE5xx series, but my manager recently bought SE215 and he likes them - Maybe I'll check them out too

Best bang for the buck for home - TV/Music - Foxtex T50RP
I had T20RP before, but they got worn with time, B&H sells T50RP for $74 w/Free ship - This is no brainer best bang for the buck - I'd say I liked Sony MDR SA5000 just a bit better (mostly fit wise) , but the later cost 5 times more !! :eek:

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
You want an output impedance ideally as close to 0. The headphones you selected the Shures and Denon's would be most suspectible and could be negatively impacted by an output impedance of anything greater than 3 maybe even 2. Hinder the power output and alter the frequency response. What is the output impedance on that Behringer?
I'm afraid I must be misunderstanding you, Minus. I'm considering the amp's minimum output impedance under load - that load being dictated by the headphones or earphones. In the case of the Behringer PRO-XL, the minimum output load impedance is a nominal 8 Ohms.

I think I'm following what you're saying when it comes to something like the very inexpensive MicroMon where its minimum output load impedance is 30 Ohms. That would present a problem for the 20 Ohm Shure SE215 and the 25 Ohm Denon AH-D5000.

But I'm not following this 1 or zero Ohm output impedance that you've mentioned. Are you referring to the impedance variances at different frequencies that might take place throughout a given headphone's frequency range? As in, certain headphones might drop down to a 4, 3 or even lower impedance at certain frequencies? This being a similar phenomenon to how a nominal 8 Ohm speaker might have dips down to 3 Ohms or possibly even lower at certain frequencies, potentially making them difficult to drive for an average receiver's amp?

I can dig what you're saying if that's what you mean. I'm not actually sure just how low an impedance dip the PRO-XL can deal with. But it'll handle a nominal 8 Ohm load no problem, which is considerably lower than pretty much any headphones I've ever dealt with :)

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
But I'm not following this 1 or zero Ohm output impedance that you've mentioned. Are you referring to the impedance variances at different frequencies that might take place throughout a given headphone's frequency range? As in, certain headphones might drop down to a 4, 3 or even lower impedance at certain frequencies?
No, he's talking about output impedance, as in, the impedance the output stage of the amp itself, regardless of "load" (which for low current devices like these is mostly irrelevant), introduces to the signal.

This affects frequency response itself.

Such is the case with loudspeakers too - however loudspeaker amplifiers rarely go over even 0.1 ohm output impedance. Only tube amps have output impedance issues.

It's not about the headphone's impedance in a vacuum, it's about the interaction between the output stage and the headphone.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Ahh, ok. I'm more familiar with that being called the Internal Impedance, but yes, I get what Minus means now. Thanks for clearing that up, Granteed :)

In the case of the Behringer amps, I'm honestly not sure. I can understand the confusion. Behringer isn't listing the amplifier's Output Impedance (or Internal Impedance, as I'm more accustomed to calling it), and they don't list the damping factor, so it isn't easy to figure out :(

What Behringer is specifying with their "Output Impedance" spec is merely the rated impedance into which the amp can deliver its power without failing. Or, in other words, the minimum headphone impedance rating that the amp is designed to work with. Those figures are 8 Ohms for the PRO-XL HA4700, 30 Ohms for the MicroMon and 50 Ohms for the UCA222 USB interface, respectively. But those aren't the Internal Impedance figures - those would be crazy high for an audio amplifier! :p

Anywho, I didn't intend for this little thread to get all serious and technical...lol Leave it to us to go that direction anyway, right? :D

All I was really trying to say about headphone amps is that I don't think anyone needs to pay $500 or $1000 or more for a good headphone amp. Professional sound engineers and mixers certainly don't! That's all I was trying to say. And furthermore, I get frustrated by these expensive "audiophile" headphone amps that produce an audible hiss and noise floor! I mean, what the heck is that all about? Headroom is out there selling their headphone amps for hundreds or even upwards of $1700 dollars and they freaking hiss! So that's all I was saying with my headphone amplifier comment. To me, it's just one more area where "audiophiles" pay ridiculous prices for something that's really pretty simple and doesn't need to cost anywhere close to what some of these "high end" headphone amps sell for ;)

B

bionic1

Audiophyte
Great info..Thanks for sharing..<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:rolleyes:

annunaki

annunaki

Any recommendations you have for an active noise canceling pair that still remain relatively neutral with reasonable bass response?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis