A different rock genre

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
When I was in High School, the music I listened to was described alternately as acid rock, space rock, jam, and prog rock. This music was epitomized by bands like Hawkwind, Tangerine Dream, some Amboy Dukes ("Journey to the Center of Your Mind"), Nektar, Camel, Captain Beyond, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Iron Butterfly, Pink Floyd before they went "pop" with "Dark Side of the Moon," and much of Hendrix's live material.

This style of music was typified by spooky synthsizers, long wandering guitar solos, and oftimes nonsensical lyrics about space, time, drugs, or mythos. Lots of fuzz and special sound effects. Usually long, in excess of 10 minutes, and derogatorily described as "plodding." The onos was that people would drop acid and sit around wasted listening to this music. OK. That probably was true, but even straight it was fun music to listen to. I guess I enjoy the meandering spontaneity of it, like there's no real form, or plan, it just seems to flow endlessly in a free-spirited improvisational give-and-take between musicians.

I believed this style of music became extinct along with those bands in a giant dinosaur-like die-off caused by the massive meteor strike that was known as Punk Rock in the late 70s. I've tried to find bands that played this music, but I couldn't and had to settle for bands that were putting out current "progressive rock" such as Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard and such as those. Not bad bands, in fact, very good bands and very good songs, but more in the "pop" vein of being structured, a beginning, middle, and end, melodies, harmonies, bridge, etc. Nothing free-form. I settled for this because I believed my music was long gone.

I believed eroneously. While searching for something to listen to on Live365, I found a station that plays what it calls "stoner rock." Acid rock, stoner rock, OK, I guess I get the connection.

I've been listening to this station the last couple of days and the music is just wonderful. Loud, meandering, screaching lost guitars without the obnoxiousness of modern heavy metal. What more could a former freak from the '70s ask for?

But now I'm wondering if this is a recent genre, within the last 10 or so years or if this has been around, just underground, since the 70s?

I'm assuming this is underground music, or at least, not commercial, because the list of bands I've listened to so far is not a list of Who's Who in Rock but just "WHO?"

Nearly every song I've heard so far has been a "gotta get that!" by bands with odd names like Monkey3, Ufomammut, SubArachnoid Space, Lord Brain, Johnson Noise, Astrosiniq, 57 Chevy, Acid King, Clutch, 5ive, Earth, Sons of Otis, Electric Wizard, Kyuss, Liquid Visions, Glasspack, to name just a few.

Anyone know of these bands? Familiar with this genre? Is there a family tree that can be traced to an originator band (like metal/hard rock can be traced to Black Sabbath/Led Zepplin and prog can be traced to the Moody Blues/Yes)?

Bob R

Bob R

Enthusiast
No real answer, just a “peace sign” flash to another 60/70’s Hippy Dippy love child.

Boy! Captain Beyond’s “Dancing Madly Backwards in a Sea of Air”. It brings back memories of WBCN in Boston during that era when “alternate rock” meant playing the 11 minute version of “Going Home” by Ten Years After and the 6 minute version of the Doors “Light My Fire” (and all of “The End”).

Thank for the heads up on “Stoner Rock” on Live365. I’ll check it out, and come back here.

Where?

What was the name of that station again? Maggie Bell and the Stone Crows? That was it.

Thanks,

Or was it the Stone Ponys?

Did you know that INAGADADAVITA takes up the whole side of one album?

Far out, man.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
Is it possible that "Journey to the Center of the Mind" (Amboy Dukes, with good ol' Ted Nugent) was the first song of this genre???

In thinking about when this song came out, versus other songs of similar ilk, I'm not coming up with anything earlier. Wasn't this 1966? If it was actually in 1967, then maybe it was just a case of a hard rocker being influenced by Sgt. Pepper.

Some early Cream songs also fit the description, although I wouldn't characterize them as acid-rock in general.

When I think of acid rock, I think primarily of San Francisco bands, including the Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape, some of the Dead's songs, etc.

It's hard to believe that Ted Nugent was first in any musical genre, except perhaps for "bow-hunter rock".

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Did you know that INAGADADAVITA takes up the whole side of one album?
When played Iron Butterfly they would extend the song a little each time. Eventually the song grew to ver 45 minutes.

One song!

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
"Journey to the Center of your Mind" was released in 1968. The Doors formed in 1965. The Electric Prune's released "I Had too Much to Dream Last night" in November 1966. Jefferson Airplane's "SURREALISTIC PILLOW" with "White Rabbit" was released February 1967. The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" album was released June 2, 1967.

Last edited:
nav

nav

Audioholic
While it may or may not be to your tastes based on your specific examples, The Mars Volta is one of my favorite "random and nonsensical" bands. Half of their second full CD (Frances the Mute) might as well be one really long song. Their first full CD (De-Loused in the Comatorium) is a little more "traditional", I suppose, but not by much. Their EP (Tremulant) is harder to find in stores and I haven't really given it too much critical listening, although some who like the band really like it.

Their lyrics seem inspired equally by the glossary of a medical journal and various dystopian literature (with a touch of instanity to mix it all together). So, at least to me, they come across as pretty "dark". The instrumental solos on those albums aren't like what you'd find in Dream Theater but, well, you'll see what I mean if you listen to them. I definitely found their music to be an acquired taste, so give them some time if you're interested.

S

Stonerholic

Audiophyte
Stonerrock und other good guitarmusic

Hi folks,
just try out "Tundra Trash Radio" on Live365.com. It`s my absolute favorite.
I listen to it at home and at work. Always getting the feeling like Shadow Ferret: whoa what amazing band was the last one again? writing down the name and searched the web for it. My list is getting longer and longer - so much to buy...

My favorite Bands for the last weeks are:
Isis (they are absolutly awesome)
Big Business
Smoke Blow
Kyuss
Mustasch

I found this forum during my google search for "5ive". ;)
Nice to see some Stonerrock Friends.

Try out: www.stonerrock.com
If you need some more informations, bands and so on - just let me know.

greetings
Stefan from Cologne/Germany

Progger58

Progger58

Junior Audioholic
Hey, another huge progressive rock aficionado here!! :)

Some of my favorite groups:

- Pink Floyd
- Camel
- Renaissance
- Eloy
- Can
- King Crimson
- Jade Warrior
- Nektar
- Strawbs
- The Enid
- Porcupine Tree
- Isildurs Bane
- Circle
- Iona
- Mostly Autumn
- Karnataka
- Paatos
- Anekdoten
- Pineapple Thief
- Ozric Tentacles
- No-Man
- Marillion
- Pär Lindh Project
- After Crying
- Hoyry-Kone
- Pure Reason Revolution
- The Flower Kings
- Pendragon
- Pallas
- Jadis
- Arena
- IQ
- Solaris
- Ayreon
- Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
- Locanda Delle Fate
- P.F.M.
- Le Orme
- Los Jaivas
- Gordian Knot

And also some modern rock bands with awesome prog influences, such as:

- Sigur Rós
- Mew
- Dredg
- Oceansize
- Secret Machines

Cheers,
Demetrio.

AUtiger

AUtiger

Junior Audioholic
Live365 is great and I'll definitely check out "stoner rock". I like you thaought that form of rock had died. Another early wanderer is "the pusher" by Steppin Wolf. It also took up the whole side of an LP. Thanks:::)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I would add Banco De Gaia and Spock's Beard to the list. As far as old stuff, Gentle Giant was one of my favorites.

G

genesis471

Audioholic
Hey, another huge progressive rock aficionado here!! :)

Some of my favorite groups:

- Pink Floyd
- Camel
- Renaissance
- Eloy
- Can
- King Crimson
- Jade Warrior
- Nektar
- Strawbs
- The Enid
- Porcupine Tree
- Isildurs Bane
- Circle
- Iona
- Mostly Autumn
- Karnataka
- Paatos
- Anekdoten
- Pineapple Thief
- Ozric Tentacles
- No-Man
- Marillion
- Pär Lindh Project
- After Crying
- Hoyry-Kone
- Pure Reason Revolution
- The Flower Kings
- Pendragon
- Pallas
- Jadis
- Arena
- IQ
- Solaris
- Ayreon
- Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
- Locanda Delle Fate
- P.F.M.
- Le Orme
- Los Jaivas
- Gordian Knot

And also some modern rock bands with awesome prog influences, such as:

- Sigur Rós
- Mew
- Dredg
- Oceansize
- Secret Machines

Cheers,
Demetrio.
Wow all that prog and no early Genesis?:confused:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Wow all that prog and no early Genesis?
Agreed and bands like Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, etc were all heavily influenced by Genesis. Also surprised Yes wasn't in that list unless I missed it.

Progger58

Progger58

Junior Audioholic
Wow all that prog and no early Genesis?:confused:
Also surprised Yes wasn't in that list unless I missed it.
The bands I listed on my previous post are my personal FAVORITES. :)

Although I have almost the complete discography of these two seminal prog bands that are Genesis and Yes, in fact they are NOT among my personal favorites, so that's the reason why I didn't mention them. ;)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed and bands like Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, etc were all heavily influenced by Genesis. Also surprised Yes wasn't in that list unless I missed it.
I wondered about that also. Early Genesis was great. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, in particular, is a classic on the same order as Dark Side of the Moon.

Progger58

Progger58

Junior Audioholic
bands like Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, etc were all heavily influenced by Genesis.
Hi, Gene.

Even though I must agree with you that Genesis is surely one of the most influential bands in the history of rock (Marillion, IQ, Citizen Cain, US, Twin Age, among others highly influenced by them), I cannot see that Genesis connection with the music of Porcupine Tree. :confused:

Cheers,
Demetrio.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
Time to resurrect this one!

I will add Redemption in there, particularly Snowfall on Judgement Day and This Mortal Coil albums.

Unfortunately the recording/eq is not the best, the instrumentation is worth it.,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis