A deal for you coffee drinkers

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Very good points.
5. Use a clean coffee maker and cup, free of soap residue and old coffee residue. If the cup smells of stale coffee, it needs to be washed again, with steel wool and detergent and rinsed until thoroughly free of soap film.
Steel wool can scratch glass, aluminum, or stainless steel. Scratched aluminum or stainless steel surfaces can give coffee a metallic taste until it coats over again, and scratched glass pots can break when they are heated.

The brown layer that accumulates in coffee pots comes off easily, without scrubbing, if you soak them briefly in dishwasher detergent. Use the powdered kind (like Cascade) not the liquid kind. Put about a tablespoon in a coffee carafe and fill it with hot water. The brown scum should come off glass surfaces in a few minutes. Stainless steel takes about half an hour.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
1. Start with a good grade of coffee. Arabica beans are of better quality than robusto, typically costing a lot more, but aged properly on the vine before picking.
Arabica is higher quality, but some blends use small amounts of robusto for specific characteristics. For example, a small amount of robusto in an espresso blend can act as a crema enhancer without harming flavor (infact increasing it alongside mouthfeel).

2. Only buy coffee from a supplier that doesn't 'warehouse' the beans for a long time. Store brands like Maxwell House, Yuban, Choc Full o' Nuts, etc., are typically rancid by the time of consumer purchase.
Agreed, best to buy when you know the roast date, if possible. If you can't find it locally you can order online, many roasters ship at a reasonable rate. Ideally beans are used 2-2.5 weeks after roasting.

3. Buy beans and grind only what you need to make a cup. Store the beans in a vacuum canister. Take out a smaller quantity for each week and put that in a smaller vacuum canister. Exposure to air is destructive to the beans and causes oxidation, which results in the two oils within the bean to turn rancid.
Light is also an issue. Dark, cool and air tight. Storage method also depends on how long beans are kept. I rarely seal my beans in anything air tight because they aren't around long enough to go stale.

5. Use a clean coffee maker and cup, free of soap residue and old coffee residue. If the cup smells of stale coffee, it needs to be washed again, with steel wool and detergent and rinsed until thoroughly free of soap film.
Don't forget regular maintenance of your machine - descaling and cleaning out the lines regularly removes oils and other buildup from the lines. These forms of buildup can drastically affect flavor quality. Regular maintenance will also lengthen machine life.

6. Drip coffee maker works the best. Measure the correct amount of coffee. Too much is just as bad as not enough. Typically an extra scoop of ground coffee is necessary to saturate the filter. Then one scoop per cup of coffee made.
Drip coffee the best? Completely subjective, I am not a fan of good drip coffee most of the time. I rank espresso at the top of my list.

Remember scoops vary in volume capacity. Saying X scoops doesn't mean much because there is no standard.

7. Use a high quality paper filter, not the cheap 'recycled' paper filters that are brown. Melitta filters taste the most neutral. Stainless micro perf mesh filters can also work, but they MUST be thoroughly cleaned every use!
Paper filters can remove oils from the coffee which can affect flavor greatly.

8. Brew at 195°F. Too hot will burn the beans. Not hot enough won't brew the beans to get the proper flavor.
This depends on method of brewing and the bean being used. From what I understand 200 degrees F is optimal for drip coffee, in fact the only drip machine I know of that is SCAA certified brews at this temp. From what I remember the ideal range for all brewing methods is 198-205 degrees F.

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
My rule of thumb for coffee is about 1.5 - 1.7 grams per ounce of water. That makes a moderately strong cup. I started weighing my beans and I really like the consistency.

Jim

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I ordered the Aeropress. Andrew was good enough to send me a burr grinder. Fresh roasted beans are not far away. Today I boiled filtered water to put in a coffee maker. You people are the Borg. :rolleyes: :)

I am not weighing my beans ... until I get a scale. :eek:

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
We have been enjoying Sam's Club Members Mark Fair Trade whole bean coffee for some time now. It's a fantastic product.

Now, Wal-Mart has Sam's Choice Fair Trade coffee which is the same thing. I have noticed more and more of a variety of this product.

These two beans are the best "grocery store" beans I have found.

For the record, I am not a Wal-Mart fan or shopper. I will drop-in for coffee. It's that good.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Zumbo, congrats on making it to the land of Sparta! Sorry that I missed the ceremony.

The forum army grows stronger.

:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Alex, knowing how much you and the girl like stainless steel, and with your renewed interest in coffee - I highly recommend this Frieling french press.

I got mine today, and it is one impressively built machine. As far as I can tell, every single piece is stainless steel. There's no plastic anywhere. To give perspective to the size of it, here's a picture of it next to the Aerolatte that you own. As for the build quality, it makes the Aerolatte stand seem like a cheap piece of bent sheet metal (well, which it is :)).

I made a pot of coffee with it (my first ever use of one of those presses), and I even frothed some Coffee-Mate fat free french vanilla creamer that turned out quite nicely.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

I can never let my girl see that picture ... I mean, how am I suppose to compete that? :)

I'm maxed out on the coffee front. Andrew's grinder showed up today.
I'm not a big fan of the counter clutter and this has gotten way out of hand. It's too much. My cup runeth over. :rolleyes: :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I can never let my girl see that picture ... I mean, how am I suppose to compete that? :)

I'm maxed out on the coffee front. Andrew's grinder showed up today. I'm not a big fan of the counter clutter and this has gotten way out of hand. It's too much. My cup runeth over. :rolleyes: :D
That's cool. You'll have to let us know how the grinder works out for you. My brother has a burr grinder, too, and really like it.

I'd say just keep that press in mind for the future. I put off buying one for a long time because of the price, but I totally think it's worth it. Dang thing is a tank. Now, if the mesh breaks or something, then I'll be less full of praise. :) Based on the reviews, though, I don't think it will.

EDIT: I know that you have the Aeropress, which probably makes coffee at least as well. But, it's...plastic. ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I know that you have the Aeropress, which probably makes coffee at least as well. But, it's...plastic. ;)
I used Andrew's linked instructions from that coffee mega geek :D ... and let me tell you. It was totally the best cup ever. Mocha Java roasted 3 days ago, freshly ground on Andrew's grinder with some sugar and frothed 1% organic milk. I got some organic Mexican beans too. I keep the beans in a zip lock in the freezer. I refuse to get one of the vacuum containers.

Thanks for everything. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis