A Better Way to Sell Specialty Audio Gear to a Young Generation

T

tonyE

Junior Audioholic
I remember the old Christopher Hansen Ltd.

I think the roots of HiEnd are in engineering and geeks. Status is not obvious, nor really part of the equation: it's not something you show off to your neighbors, but something you keep in your house and enjoy.

It's also a fairly complicated affair in the truly High End world since audiophiles tend to shy away from the All In One "solutions"... for that, you go get a Bose or an Apple thingie and you are done, but that is not High End... not even Mid Fi.

So, it doesn't justify fancy 'sales consultants" or "fancy salons"... sure, the prices can be crazy, they have always been nuts -IMHO- but the target market is not driven by luxury but by performance.

Think of it this way: most expensive items are luxury priced to maintain high status mark ups, but not all. Some are expensive because the R&D and manufacturing is expensive.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I remember the old Christopher Hansen Ltd.

I think the roots of HiEnd are in engineering and geeks. Status is not obvious, nor really part of the equation: it's not something you show off to your neighbors, but something you keep in your house and enjoy.

It's also a fairly complicated affair in the truly High End world since audiophiles tend to shy away from the All In One "solutions"... for that, you go get a Bose or an Apple thingie and you are done, but that is not High End... not even Mid Fi.

So, it doesn't justify fancy 'sales consultants" or "fancy salons"... sure, the prices can be crazy, they have always been nuts -IMHO- but the target market is not driven by luxury but by performance.

Think of it this way: most expensive items are luxury priced to maintain high status mark ups, but not all. Some are expensive because the R&D and manufacturing is expensive.
Nice post up, what most of us on AH have probably 99% on AH really isn't High-End. Truly high-end gear is in the 100's of thousands.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They knowledgeable about what they sell and audio in general?
I didn't strike up much of a conversation with the guy I met, but was made to feel welcome even after I made it clear I wasn't buying. He even took me to one of their acoustically treated rooms and powered up their ~$20 - 30k flagship system so I could listen to some Eagles. It was just a really nice experience and he didn't make me feel like I was imposing.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't strike up much of a conversation with the guy I met, but was made to feel welcome even after I made it clear I wasn't buying. He even took me to one of their acoustically treated rooms and powered up their ~$20 - 30k flagship system so I could listen to some Eagles. It was just a really nice experience and he didn't make me feel like I was imposing.
Yeah they are I just had my first bad experience over there tho. I was coming in to talk to someone about options for my in ceiling situation. My regular sales guy had retired. This new dude was such an a$$hole that I just got up from the table we were reviewing speaker lines at and just walked out.

He was such an a$$ I walked out because I was worried I was going to blow my top if I responded. I was super hot. Done business there for years first bad experience I had. Not sure I want to go back if I do tho it will be with another sales guy for sure

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
They also ought to focus on the inevitable march of online shopping with, as others in this thread suggest, easy return-shipping policies like Crutchfield's. They ought to be aggressively reaching out to potential customers where they are, online via youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, whatever, as experts who, in a non-snooty manner, give practical and educational advice on how to shop for equipment and how to set up your systems. Partner with gaming sites and youtube channels. They need to make themselves online destinations for HT education.
Most manufacturer dealer agreements have clauses about not selling online- being a dealer doesn't make it possible and unless a dealer with approval to sell online has the space to ship/receive quickly and people who know how to do that, it becomes a nightmare. It's not a matter of 'just add a shopping cart to your website' and it's done- how do they decide what will sell, how do they finance the larger purchases of inventory, how do they make sure they have enough inventory and what do they do if some weird BS causes a complete disruption of the supply chain and getting people to come in to work?

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah they are I just had my first bad experience over there tho. I was coming in to talk to someone about options for my in ceiling situation. My regular sales guy had retired. This new dude was such an a$$hole that I just got up from the table we were reviewing speaker lines at and just walked out.

He was such an a$$ I walked out because I was worried I was going to blow my top if I responded. I was super hot. Done business there for years first bad experience I had. Not sure I want to go back if I do tho it will be with another sales guy for sure
That's the kind of thing that should cause a call to the manager, to complain.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah but I'm not a phone call kind of guy if I decide to pursue the issue I'll go in to speak to the manager

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Still deciding what I want to do. I don't like reacting when I'm emotional so I'm going to give it 2 or more days then go from there

highfigh

highfigh

Still deciding what I want to do. I don't like reacting when I'm emotional so I'm going to give it 2 or more days then go from there
Harder to go ballistic in writing, so that may be a good way to do this. Don't give the manager a way to blow this off- it's their survival that's at stake and you might want to mention it. I have seen many audio stores fail because one or two bad people weren't removed and their effects weren't understood until it was too late.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Harder to go ballistic in writing, so that may be a good way to do this. Don't give the manager a way to blow this off- it's their survival that's at stake and you might want to mention it. I have seen many audio stores fail because one or two bad people weren't removed and their effects weren't understood until it was too late.
Agreed. A bad apple can ruin a companies reputation very quickly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

What was he doing that was so egregious?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Unlike the expensive handbag, suit, or Ferrari, you do not take hi-end audio out into the world with you. Therefore, audio's "status" appeal is vastly different from many luxury products.
Hi-end AV is less an extrovert pursuit and more an introverted personal activity. It is more about relaxing to music/movie with an adult beverage.
@XEagleDriver I am buying on your idea of audio being more of an introvert's activity than the typical extrovert.
I fall into the category of introvert but have spent my entire working life and much of my private life in the world of extroverts. People don't fall neatly in to one category or another, but it does make general sweeping statements a little easier and expressing certain ideas a little easier to think of it that way.

I suppose I'm interested in this general thread idea because for whatever reason my eye has been taken by a certain audio company's product recently. The ones with the big blue VU meters and horrific price tags. They have been on a tear recently announcing new products that appeal to me. I am able to write a check for just about anything I want these days but there is some part of me (the sane part perhaps) that refuses based on the principal that I wouldn't be any better off after the purchase. My audio system wouldn't sound any better. It would LOOK better with those massive black units and big blue VU meters. But, alas, it wouldn't sound any better.

This cuts right to the idea of "why" do people spend big on audio. For me at this point in my life, it would be for the "show my friends" factor not the actual sound. That's what a classic extrovert would do. How do you get young people to spend big on audio? I have no idea given all the competing tech they can choose from. My only idea is my music room. When I invite my youngin's in there they are transfixed by the sound. I suspect that will bear fruit when they are able. Slow and steady may yet rule the day.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
@XEagleDriver I am buying on your idea of audio being more of an introvert's activity than the typical extrovert.
I fall into the category of introvert but have spent my entire working life and much of my private life in the world of extroverts. People don't fall neatly in to one category or another, but it does make general sweeping statements a little easier and expressing certain ideas a little easier to think of it that way.

I suppose I'm interested in this general thread idea because for whatever reason my eye has been taken by a certain audio company's product recently. The ones with the big blue VU meters and horrific price tags. They have been on a tear recently announcing new products that appeal to me. I am able to write a check for just about anything I want these days but there is some part of me (the sane part perhaps) that refuses based on the principal that I wouldn't be any better off after the purchase. My audio system wouldn't sound any better. It would LOOK better with those massive black units and big blue VU meters. But, alas, it wouldn't sound any better.

This cuts right to the idea of "why" do people spend big on audio. For me at this point in my life, it would be for the "show my friends" factor not the actual sound. That's what a classic extrovert would do. How do you get young people to spend big on audio? I have no idea given all the competing tech they can choose from. My only idea is my music room. When I invite my youngin's in there they are transfixed by the sound. I suspect that will bear fruit when they are able. Slow and steady may yet rule the day.
You are correct, life is an analog spectrum, not just a series of binary choices. Probably should have used the phrase "extrovert or introvert tendency".

I do believe asthetics and equipment feel are important in overall satisfaction with audio gear.
For example, a speaker that sounds great but looks like a dog's rear would be difficult for me to own.
- Pro audio geat runs into that challenge for home use, particularly in multi- purpose rooms.

I have it on good authority those Blue VU Meters are made out of solid cocaine

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What was he doing that was so egregious?
I came in and showed him my room layout and my screw-up on putting in in wall speakers in the ceiling.

After showing him the dimensions I would need I asked him if there were models from there speaker lines we could look at that might fix the problem

So of course he offers me the most expensive from B&W. It would work but each speaker would run me $1800 a speaker. I explained that I was hoping we could find a solution that wouldn't run me 7200 before taxes and installation fees to fix my atmos speakers.

When I asked to look at other brands and speakers in there catalogue he was very rude and made comments like well if you want to be stuck with boxy in walls up in your ceiling it's up to you. His tone was very rude and very condescending and you could tell he was trying to bully me into the more expensive lineup.

I had a long night at work the day before and when he did that I got so heated I just stood up and left the store walked out on him. It wasn't just what he said it was how he said it. I was really concerned I was so heated if I addressed it on the spot I would come across way over the top. So I walked out to cool off. When I was younger I had a nasty temper and just learned to always walk away from a situation until emotionally I was re-centered again

That's it in a nutshell really

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I came in and showed him my room layout and my screw-up on putting in in wall speakers in the ceiling.

After showing him the dimensions I would need I asked him if there were models from there speaker lines we could look at that might fix the problem

So of course he offers me the most expensive from B&W. It would work but each speaker would run me $1800 a speaker. I explained that I was hoping we could find a solution that wouldn't run me 7200 before taxes and installation fees to fix my atmos speakers.

When I asked to look at other brands and speakers in there catalogue he was very rude and made comments like well if you want to be stuck with boxy in walls up in your ceiling it's up to you. His tone was very rude and very condescending and you could tell he was trying to bully me into the more expensive lineup.

I had a long night at work the day before and when he did that I got so heated I just stood up and left the store walked out on him. It wasn't just what he said it was how he said it. I was really concerned I was so heated if I addressed it on the spot I would come across way over the top. So I walked out to cool off. When I was younger I had a nasty temper and just learned to always walk away from a situation until emotionally I was re-centered again

Sounds like you did the right thing....he sounds very annoying.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Sounds like what I've dealt with in the past from high end shops. One in DFW told me that the Dali line in their demo room was the only speaker they had that would satisfy my tastes. Sure dude, whatever. He also said Mac amps were the only thing good they sold. He didn't like it when I asked him why they had other brands if they were all so bad.

My one and only venture into that shop.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like you did the right thing....he sounds very annoying.
Yeah Lovin he really was super annoying working psychiatric care it normally takes a lot to set me off and he managed to push my buttons big time.

I just thought it wiser to speak to a supervisor later after I'd had some days to let the emotions go

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like what I've dealt with in the past from high end shops. One in DFW told me that the Dali line in their demo room was the only speaker they had that would satisfy my tastes. Sure dude, whatever. He also said Mac amps were the only thing good they sold. He didn't like it when I asked him why they had other brands if they were all so bad.

My one and only venture into that shop.
I've had that experience before but never in that store. It's why I was do shocked but my dealer Mike and me had a really good relationship and this was my first attempt to speak to a new sales person after his retirement

Still willing to go speak to a supervisor and see if we can work something out one bad experience in over 15 years of good ones I'm not willing just to throw that relationship away just yet

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've had that experience before but never in that store. It's why I was do shocked but my dealer Mike and me had a really good relationship and this was my first attempt to speak to a new sales person after his retirement

Still willing to go speak to a supervisor and see if we can work something out one bad experience in over 15 years of good ones I'm not willing just to throw that relationship away just yet
I agree. I just wonder how much of this is "douchy sales guy" and how much management is telling him to push certain stuff. All up to the salesman how to push the stuff though, and this dude didn't do it right. Making a customer that angry isn't acceptable. He should have sensed you getting pissed and offered up other solutions, even if he doesn't agree.

I'll never understand how sales people can be so bad at sales. It's pretty simple to just find a solution for the customer that fits their budget and makes them happy. Assuming folks are like you and are actually reasonable customers.

Now, if you'd gone in and said you want the best you can get, but don't want to spend more than $500 out the door (including install) I probably wouldn't have spent a lot of time with you as a sales person, but that's not what happened.

Stuff like this just irritates me.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
- Technological advancements have made modestly priced audio gear sound very good for the younger audiophile.
- The younger generation doesn't have much as much spare change or safety nets as the previous generation did.
- Specialty/High-end audio will most probably die with the guys who are currently 60 and above, 50 and above, if pushing it. A simple observation of attendee age groups at shows like RMAF should be all the confirmation high end audio needs (to know that its days are numbered).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis