A better use for the Playstation 3?!!

Chatta

Chatta

Junior Audioholic
Wow, thats an interesting article. Could be the PS3 the future on high end supercomputers?

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Well I guess the Sony commercials are getting close to their claim that the PS3 can do everything.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
Been happening for a long while, the funny thing is I'm not even sure they can do it anymore seeing as the new Slim models no longer allow Linux installs. Unless they have a contract with Sony to change to OS or something.

Maybe that's the reason Sony cut the Linux feature?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'd hate to see their electric bill :eek:... plus that room must be quite warm with all those PS3s going.

brad1138

brad1138

Audioholic
Been happening for a long while, the funny thing is I'm not even sure they can do it anymore seeing as the new Slim models no longer allow Linux installs.
I am glad I have one of the original PS3s (60 Gig) They stripped a lot out of the "slim" version. No sd card reader, only 2 usb ports, no Linux support and I think the original looks better . The PS2 slim added features and was a lot smaller.

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
I am glad I have one of the original PS3s (60 Gig) They stripped a lot out of the "slim" version. No sd card reader, only 2 usb ports, no Linux support and I think the original looks better . The PS2 slim added features and was a lot smaller.
The PS3 slim did add one good thing. It added Bitstream support for HD audio. Now all those cool lights will light up on your receiver and it will say Master Audio or TrueHD!! :D:p

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
To get around the 2 usb ports all you will need is a usb hub with a card reader that is what I use on the 40gb as for Linux not alot of people installed it on the PS3, Sony cut it out as a cost saving measure. The 60gb cost around $840 to manufacture, the 40gb cost around $400 to manufacture and the slim cost $240 to manufacture.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Right now there is a 40 year old man who lives in his parents basement who has just read this link and has made the connection on his quest for world domination. :eek:

S

SharkyRivethead

Audiophyte
I'd hate to see their electric bill :eek:... plus that room must be quite warm with all those PS3s going.
Better hope their not using the original 60 gigs...hello YLOD x a couple hundred! I've also seen where they linked a whole bunch of ps3 (no more than a hundred) and were able to replicate internet authentication certificates...for any web site. So much for that fail safe security measure. But, another cool thing I saw was where they did this demo. They did a CG render of a runway model. The CG did everything the model did in real time.

Without a doubt, the PS3 is cool...don't hear about 300 360's being hook together. Doh! sorry.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Been happening for a long while, the funny thing is I'm not even sure they can do it anymore seeing as the new Slim models no longer allow Linux installs. Unless they have a contract with Sony to change to OS or something.

Maybe that's the reason Sony cut the Linux feature?
Somehow I think the Air Force can customize a Linux variant to work on the new PS3s.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis