A better mousetrap…

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, on the first morning I had a dead mouse inside.

It requires the mouse to stand on two separate metal plates, one with the forepaws, and the other with the hindpaws. It uses 4 AA batteries, and when triggered, passes 6 V across the torso for 5 seconds. That apparently is enough to stop it's little heart. I saw a small circuit board inside, but no large caps :p.
Oh let's tweak that thing for some serious voltage!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Congrats on your kill. Four more and you make ace. ...
That is what I thought after killing 3 gofer and thought another on was in the trap; one more and be an ace.:D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Wednesday Day 6 – no dead mouse in the trap.

I started last Friday. I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I'll go. Unless I see some evidence of another mouse, I'll make this coming Friday night the last night.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, on the first morning I had a dead mouse inside.

It requires the mouse to stand on two separate metal plates, one with the forepaws, and the other with the hindpaws. It uses 4 AA batteries, and when triggered, passes 6 VDC across the torso for 5 seconds. That apparently is enough to stop it's little heart. I saw a small circuit board inside, but no large caps :p.
Ha. You bought a mouse electric chair.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wednesday Day 6 – no dead mouse in the trap.

I started last Friday. I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I'll go. Unless I see some evidence of another mouse, I'll make this coming Friday night the last night.
If this is an especially bad year (as in high population of mice in the area), it might be worth keeping it active and "storing" the trap in the basement or a crawl space and check it on a weekly basis. It is supposed to kill 100 mice with 4AA's so it should be good for a while if it doesn't get discharged very often.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Day 7 – still nothing.
If this is an especially bad year (as in high population of mice in the area), it might be worth keeping it active and "storing" the trap in the basement or a crawl space and check it on a weekly basis. It is supposed to kill 100 mice with 4AA's so it should be good for a while if it doesn't get discharged very often.
I had the same thought. I know the path mice prefer in the kitchen, but not the basement. But I'll pick a spot and put the trap there.

The electronic trap I bought must be reset, and the dead mouse removed, after it discharges once. The claim of 100 kills is about how long fresh batteries can last and still do the job. For several dollars more I could have bought the "professional" version of this trap which can kill up to 3 times without resetting. Oh well.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
. It is supposed to kill 100 mice with 4AA's so it should be good for a while if it doesn't get discharged very often.
The claim of 100 kills is about how long fresh batteries can last and still do the job.
I bet that even after the 100 kills, the trap still completely ruins the mouses day.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I bet that even after the 100 kills, the trap still completely ruins the mouses day.
With a small adaptation, Victor Mouse Traps might have another market. Instead of 4 AA batteries, use one of these

Maybe states having trouble getting lethal injection drugs for capitol punishment might be interested.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
With a small adaptation, Victor Mouse Traps might have another market. Instead of 4 AA batteries, use one of these

Maybe states having trouble getting lethal injection drugs for capitol punishment might be interested.
I think you've hit on an elegant solution!
If that properly vaporizes them, you never have to empty it... just put the power supply on a timer so the trap gets reset every hour!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think you've hit on an elegant solution!
If that properly vaporizes them, you never have to empty it... just put the power supply on a timer so the trap gets reset every hour!
If it can vaporize a mouse, that leaves only the small problem of re-baiting the trap. Obviously, a small dab of peanut butter just wont do.

Perhaps if a small amount of the previous mouse were left over… … are mice carnivorous or cannibals? They don't hunt other live mice, but will they eat what's left over from the previous zapping?

A self-cleaning and self-baiting mouse trap! (Batteries not included) This comes close to a perpetual motion machine.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
i kind of figured the mouse gets zapped before he gets to the bait, but mice are omnivores, taking advantage of whatever opportunity presents itself.
I'd imagine the scent of freshly cooked meat would do the trick!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
If it can vaporize a mouse, that leaves only the small problem of re-baiting the trap. Obviously, a small dab of peanut butter just wont do.

Perhaps if a small amount of the previous mouse were left over… … are mice carnivorous or cannibals? They don't hunt other live mice, but will they eat what's left over from the previous zapping?

A self-cleaning and self-baiting mouse trap! (Batteries not included) This comes close to a perpetual motion machine.
are you still stuck at just one dead mouse? no repeat customers ?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
are you still stuck at just one dead mouse? no repeat customers ?
Right. One dead mouse and no repeat customers.

Maybe that one dead mouse managed to alert all his buddies to stay away in the brief moment before the zap finished him. In mouse years, a second or two may be a long time.

Imagine a mouse saying "O…H… … F…U…D…G…E" (but spelled differently and with one less letter). Mice and other small critters can squeak at very high frequencies, 20-60 kHz. We can't hear that, but cats, owls, and fox can.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Imagine a mouse saying "O…H… … F…U…D…G…E" (but spelled differently and with one less letter). Mice and other small critters can squeak at very high frequencies, 20-60 kHz. We can't hear that, but cats, owls, and fox can.
I beg to differ with you. There probably exists an audiophool recording of an Orchestra Obscura , recorded in the 1960's during a cheese shortage in Austria that has several starving mouse screeches located in the 5th row behind the woodwinds. The golden eared crowd cherishes this recording because they can hear those little mouse screeches on their reference systems, but alas, not on most normal crap that humans listen to.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis