A basic home theater

M

Michael johnson

Audiophyte
First off... i'm new to this board,so i would like to say hello to all..

I am setting up a basic home theater system in my small living room..15by17

I purchased a denon avr "485", to connect with my existing jvc dvd player,toshiba tv..which has a decent selection of input's 1 S,VID-2 RCA INPUT'S-& 1 COMPONENT VID IN..for speakers i have boston acoustics micro80x2 speaker set which included an 80watt sub.. and i have comcast digital cable using the motorola dct6400 cable reciever.

With all that said.. the question i have for the board is.. how can i optimize this setup for best quality??? pretty broad question eh..lol..i guess my main question is.. should i use the component vid out from the avr to the tv or the "s" vid connection...toshiba calls the component vid hi-def "like" quality the call it colorstream...

any help or advice would be awesome..

great board here.. and i know that this setup is meger in comparison to most that i see here..

Michael

R

Red

Audioholic
Welcome to the post. use your component connection vs the s-vid.

cable box to the Denon component TV/DBS "in" then component Monitor "out" to your TV.

M

Michael johnson

Audiophyte
Thank's..for the advice red...now my dvd has digital out"pcm" as well as S,RCA&COMPONENT...which would be the better choice?...i really dont have the xtra chips... to buy unneeded cable's.

thanx again for your tip's..

Michael

R

Red

Audioholic
Michael....use component cables also from the DVD to your receiver, there is a component DVD "in" as well as a component TV "in". That is just one more cable, as the component cable already running from the receiver to the TV will cover the DVD signal as well via the receivers component switching capability.

Look around the internet, you do not have to spend loads of $$$ for a well made component cable. If your local AV store only stocks Monster cable you should do a google search to find a better deal on line. Monster cables are good but you can get the same quality at least half the price by doing a little shopping.

M

Michael johnson

Audiophyte
thanx again red... but i rarely purchase online.. just because i tend to use cash for my toy's...lol.. payin interest to have fun just kill's me :eek:

I allready purchased some monster standard"THX" certified cable's..but all is good...

Since you seem to be the only one willing to offer up some advice :)

for speaker cable i am using monster cable's "monsterXP" compact cable.. i picked up at a garage sale brand new still on the spindle..so i think i'm ready to have a beer or three and start hookin stuff up... thanx again you have been a great help..

Michael

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Mike, the general rule is that digital audio (coax or optical) will carry the best audio signal vs. the red & white rca audio cables (analog) on the back of your VCR, DVD player, and cable box.

Also, component video will provide the best video signal unless you have DVI or HDMI on your cable box or DVD player. S-Video & composite should be left for VCRs and camcorders... maybe video game consoles.

Stay away from retail stores with Monster Cable. You can pick up perfectly reasonable video cable at Wal-Mart for just a few bucks compared to Monster. The quality will be enough that you will be plenty happy and still have cash left over for a few DVD rentals and some 6-packs.

Cash is good - but a credit card with a $500.00 limit will save you a ton of cash if you are willing to start doing some online shopping. I've saved AT LEAST $5,000.00 vs. new/retail pricing by purchasing online new & used gear.

Speaker cable should be measured by the actual wire gauge (thickness) of the cable. 16, 14, 12 gauge etc. Not sure what your is, but going with a 14 gauge or better wire is strongly recommended by many.

S-Video is not anywhere NEAR HDTVish. 480i is 480 lines of resolutions of video. This can be carried on a composite connection, and it looks better on your S-Video connection... HDTV is typically 1080i... That 1080 lines of resolution. S-Video never is better than 480i - so it is never even close to 1080i HDTV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis