\_/livingroom\_/2.1\_/

S

SavidSelim

Audioholic Intern
Here is my living room 2.1 media center on a budget.

Sources:
PC w/ M-Audio Fast Track interface (DAC)
Pioneer PL-707 w/ Grado Green Cart
Sony DVD/CD
DirecTV DVR
Nintendo Wii (Softmod with USB HDD)

Display:
Sanyo 42" LCD

Amps:
Yamaha R-9 (used as phono preamp)
Yamaha HTR 5740 AVR

Speakers:
B&W DM600 s3
B&W Stands
JBL 300w 10" Sub

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones

DIY speaker cables

I can tell my speakers are outrunning my amp. I have to really crank it to get any volume. This is especially apparent with the TT. I would like to get a Tube DAC/Preamp, a Phono Preamp and a solid state Power amp in the future. Will be looking at Grant Fidelity and the other chinese products, as well as studio amps.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you do need to upgrade that sub though :) i'll clean up the thread when you get more posts :)

S

SavidSelim

Audioholic Intern
I do need a subwoofer upgrade really bad. The one I have hangs alright with movie explosions and whatnot, but is about as musical as a rock. I need something that will back up my speakers in the midbass spectrum.

This system cost me:

TV: $600
Receiver: Free (from frend)
AVR: $100 (old craigslist find)
DVD: Free (its my GF's)
DVR: Free (me and my neighbor share services)
Stand: $120 (Big Lots)
Turntable: $5 (yard sale)
Cartridge: $60 (with another TT from craigslist)
Headphones: $150 (from local music store)
Speakers: $225 (craigslist)
Stands: Came with speakers
PC: $200 with a monitor
Cables and Misc: $200
Wii: $200
Total: $1655 (close estimation)

I live in Virginia. My user name was supposed to be Miles Davis spelled backwards but I messed it up....

Mods: Can you fix this for me??

Thanks!!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure what other miscellaenous objects you're talking about, but I hope they made up the majority of that $200 and the cables were only 10% of that :)

S

SavidSelim

Audioholic Intern
The cables and accessories include DIY extension cord cables with named plugs, cheap interconnects, a vinyl brush, stylus cleaner and brush, carpet tiles for sub isolation, gummy feet for TT isolation, wireless keyboard and mouse, wireless router etc.. not bad eh?

I forgot to add $100 for my DAC.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
That sub is not the best....however your placement seems odd, have you tried crawling the room and finding a better place to put it?

Nice setup BTW, I always love to see a fellow budget hunter's build.

S

SavidSelim

Audioholic Intern
i thought that would be the best place for the sub for music. i dont like being able to hear the sub on one side. its distracting when listening to music. i have tried to make it more transparent by centering it between the mains. although, i dont really know if that is the best place for it. i have also faced the driver towards the listnener. that made the bass much more detailed, but its still lacking midbass! I have posted a sub thread in the proper section.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I live in Virginia. My user name was supposed to be Miles Davis spelled backwards but I messed it up....

Mods: Can you fix this for me??

Thanks!!
you the sivadselim from avsforum?

re: user name
that's an admin job, you're gonna need to pm Clint De Boer

tell him about the misspelling and that you won't be using davestradamus as well ...

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Gotta love those B&W's!!!!

Thanks for the pictures.

S

SavidSelim

Audioholic Intern
Gotta hand it to mike c for being very observant! I couldnt use my old user name for some reason, and it was linked to an old email account, so i couldnt reset my password.

Thanks for commenting everyone! I am finally closer to being satisfied with the sound of my system! i said CLOSER......

S

SavidSelim

Audioholic Intern
Its a pioneer PL-707 from 1983 I believe. Its considered mid-fi but I think it sounds great with the grado cartridge.

S

SavidSelim

Audioholic Intern
I have some "new" equipment. I am very pleased with the change in sound quality compared to the last incarnation. The sound quality is far better using the pre-outs on the NAD vs. the effects loop on the yammy. the power amp doesnt hurt either vs. the crap AVR.

pseudo separates - $65 :)

NAD 7250PE reciever with pre-out
Alesis RA150 45w @ 8 Ohm Stereo Amp

and i ordered shiny new audio interconnects so i can get rid of those "included with" cables. I also need to get the audio interconnects away from the power cables. I am getting a slight hum when the music goes silent, and i hope that will fix it

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis