$9800 for a pair of cables

D

DSMCasey

Junior Audioholic
WHO IN THIER RIGHT MIND PAYS $10k for speaker wire!! There is just no freakin way. Those MIT cables are out of this wold expensive too! ($180 for 1 meter component video Cable!!). I must live a sheltered life, I just don't see it I don't care how nice my system is.

-Casey

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
For anyone with half a brain, we can see that a pair of $7000 speakers and $3000 worth of acoustical treatment would make a really nice improvement in most of our sound systems. Whether or not the cables make any difference, it certainly wouldn't be $10000 worth.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Wthout going tooooooo far off into the deep end of the audio fantasy pool let's compare the equipment and systems of the people that post on this board.

Just using published retail prices.

Some of our posters have spent a small amount of money on their main speakers. Most of the main speakers are between $200 to $12K.

A pretty big range if I do say so myself.

Those speakers are hooked up to a receiver that typically costs betwen $100 and $5k.

Again, a pretty big range.

A few people have separates that cost (for the combined package) between $1k and $15k.

Of course, gotta have a DVD player, and those cost between $79 and $2K.

Now, not counting any additional speakers and associated equipment do some basic math...

From the low end $379 to the extreme $29,000.

I bet the typical system discussed on this board is about.... let me look into my crystal ball......

$1500 to $8000.

Damn, the speaker cables cost more than the typical system.

I wonder how wonderful those speaker cables got to be in order to be worth 1/3 of the cost of the most expensive system list above.

Anybody that buys those cables is past the wading stage, they have dived right into the deep end of the fantasy pool.

In case any of the buyers of those cables are interested, I can still be adopted and added to their will. If they don't want to adopt me, just turn your head for a few minutes and let borrow your check book for a weekend. I promise to bring back the checkbook cover.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That makes no sense at all.

If you are going to ditch that much cash on cables you might as well spend just a little bit more and get some GLOB cables so you really are on the bleeding edge of technology.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Not sure how much they weigh, but I'll bet they're giving the price of gold a run for it's money........... :D

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
More money than that is "wasted" in my opinion on new vehicles everyday in the U.S. I'd much rather see it spent on the audio arena than the automobile arena. It at least gives the poorer guy a chance to play with the used ones that were replaced. Probably chump change for your average run of the mill zillionaire. :eek:

Last edited:
D

DSMCasey

Junior Audioholic
Even though a ton is wasted in automobiles, the answer still remains "you can't drive speaker wire to work, or to pick up your kid from daycare"

-Casey

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
WorkerBee said:
It at least gives the poorer guy to play with the used ones they replaced. :eek:
I'd say that same logic could also be applied to the automotive world...

D

diggerdave

Audioholic Intern
hmmmmm well yeah those are fairly expensive cables but if you really want to lay out the cash for cabling there's a store in Seattle that'll set you up with a pair of cables for $30k.
supposed to produce a real spiritual experience. at that price it'd better provide eternal life...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis