97 Inch OLED ($$$$$)

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I have seen the promised land, and it is . . . . really freaking expensive. If the 25,000 Euros in the article below is carried over into the U.S. it will be about $27.6K here in USD.

I'm tempted to sell my house and live in the box with the TV. This seems like a fairly reasonable plan, but it does create a quandary of sorts because I don't think I can fit the new TV, my BMRs, and myself in the box (not to mention the acoustic challenges of the box).

Given that my BMRs are my one true love, the 97" OLED will just have to wait.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I have seen the promised land, and it is . . . . really freaking expensive. If the 25,000 Euros in the article below is carried over into the U.S. it will be about $27.6K here in USD.

I'm tempted to sell my house and live in the box with the TV. This seems like a farily reasonable plan, but it does create a quandary of sorts because I don't think I can fit the new TV, my BMRs, and myself in the box (not to mention the acoustic challenges of the box).

Wow!! Just from looking at the link it does look gorgeous but wow the price. But than there are a whole lotta very wealthy peeps that'll probably have one in each room.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

I'm tempted to sell my house and live in the box with the TV. This seems like a fairly reasonable plan, but it does create a quandary of sorts because I don't think I can fit the new TV, my BMRs, and myself in the box (not to mention the acoustic challenges of the box).

$27.6K and it might last only 6-7 years by today's quality standards. I'm sure such product won't last as long as my 12 year old Panasonic plasma set, which is still working as a new one at least 12 hours on most days.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Prices always start high for the bleeding edge techs and the largest panels. Prices will come down to more reasonable levels.

It wasn't that long ago that the 77" OLED was going for $7k, now it can be found for less than half that.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
$27.6K and it might last only 6-7 years by today's quality standards. I'm sure such product won't last as long as my 12 year old Panasonic plasma set, which is still working as a new one at least 12 hours on most days.
There are a few of the 1080 103" Panasonic plasma monitors out there. This seller on eBay apparently still has 2 of them available ($5K). At 485 lbs it would not be easy to mount on a wall, and it requires 220-240 volt power.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There are a few of the 1080 103" Panasonic plasma monitors out there. This seller on eBay apparently still has 2 of them available ($5K). At 485 lbs it would not be easy to mount on a wall, and it requires 220-240 volt power.

Would need it's own HVAC system too.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Would need it's own HVAC system too.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It uses about 1400 watts (I've seen different numbers, not sure which is correct) so it would result in quite a bit of additional power just to run the AC system in warm weather to counter the heat.

There are not a lot of reviews out there for this monitor. I found one that touched on the issues resulting from the size and weight:

>>>Panasonic uses a professional team of AV installers to deliver 103PF9s, but even so it took well over three hours – including an hour with a special ‘interior’ crane – to get the TV installed. And that’s on the ground floor with a door big enough to take the vast box. Any problems of access to where you want the screen to go could potentially add hours to any install – or even present the very realistic prospect of having to get in builders to knock down or reinforce walls.<<<

Here's another review that mentions the installation issues:

>>>Buying this plasma screen isn’t quite as simple as simply placing your order and waiting for it to arrive. You should allow for a site survey and potential renovations on your installation location. If you’re wall mounting the TH-103PF9UK, we recommend either building the wall to suit or heavily modifying the existing wall to accommodate. This typically entails installing either 6x6 wall studs, or providing for a suspended installation off a structural element in the ceiling and setting it into the wall. You should also provide for access doors on the opposite side of the wall for servicing. The enables easy access to the rear panel in the event of component failure. You do NOT want to have to send this back for service! It’s important to emphasize that the installation procedure can be quite involved and is not to be approached lightly. It’s important to talk to a qualified installer if you are genuinely interested in this product.<<<

http://www.avdeals.com/reviews/plasma/th103pf9ukplasmatvreview.php

There's a video of one from 2015 on YouTube. The picture quality in this video is not impressive, but it's hard to say if this due to the signal to the monitor, etc.

This review mentions that this monitor is not especially bright:

>>>The only significant problem with the 103PF10EK's display capabilities, in fact, is a predicted lack of brightness. Computer graphics and text aren't driven off the screen as potently as they tend to be by smaller (especially LCD) rivals, a potential issue if there's a lot of ambient light around, or the material you want to display is predominantly graphics based. It probably sounds faintly absurd to be suggesting that a 103in screen could ever fail to catch the eye, but the slightly muted look to the 103PF10EK's pictures does prevent PC text and graphics screaming' off the screen as some of you might like them to.<<<

I guess another issue is what happens if it needs servicing? I'd want to investigate, but off hand it seems like there would be quite a bit of risk involved given the time and money that would be required to get it installed.

On the other hand, I found one listed for $500 recently in Garden Grove CA:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1363245377

It would be interesting to see one of these.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Functioning at 220-240 volt, it must draw a lot of power, something over 2000 watts.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic

Those things were space heaters.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I am in the commercial market, and have no doubt that the 98" LCD is a major player in these markets. When you look at the conventional boardroom which has been paying $10,000+ for a motorized screen and a laser projector just to get so-so results when the lights are on and a nearly unusable VTC experience due to ambient light. The switch to the 98" LCD has been crazy, and has been growing over the last few years. We've seen pricing drop from about $30,000 to under $20,000 on the displays, but they are still in a different stratosphere from the sub $5,000 85" displays which are out there.

I've definitely thought about the 103" Panasonics, since they likely look really good and are a steal for what you get...
But, the 97" OLED is not built for many. It is for the 1% crowd. Or maybe the .1% crowd. Those who throw money down on a Ferrari and don't think much about it.
There will be plenty of demand for this model and I am definitely drooling. I'm just hopeful the 83" model will drop under $3,000 at some point.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am in the commercial market, and have no doubt that the 98" LCD is a major player in these markets. When you look at the conventional boardroom which has been paying $10,000+ for a motorized screen and a laser projector just to get so-so results when the lights are on and a nearly unusable VTC experience due to ambient light. The switch to the 98" LCD has been crazy, and has been growing over the last few years. We've seen pricing drop from about $30,000 to under $20,000 on the displays, but they are still in a different stratosphere from the sub $5,000 85" displays which are out there.

I've definitely thought about the 103" Panasonics, since they likely look really good and are a steal for what you get...
But, the 97" OLED is not built for many. It is for the 1% crowd. Or maybe the .1% crowd. Those who throw money down on a Ferrari and don't think much about it.
There will be plenty of demand for this model and I am definitely drooling. I'm just hopeful the 83" model will drop under $3,000 at some point.
I assume you mean that board rooms large-sized plasmas/OLED are non-starters due to image retention?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I assume you mean that board rooms large-sized plasmas/OLED are non-starters due to image retention?
I think the plasmas were a non-starter due to budget for most places. That didn't mean that we didn't install some back in the day. But, I think price will be one of the major issues with OLED more than image retention.
Most commercial clients turn to the AV installer for recommendations and often follow the lead of the installer, but I can't imagine any credible AV engineer who would specify OLED into a typical boardroom/meeting space if they will be showing any static content. Like a Windows menu bar at the bottom of the screen all day long.

My main point, was that while 98" displays are still cost exorbitant, they are still sold all the time. To the point where some displays are tough to get due to the quantity that are ordered. They are used... often.

I feel that while the super sized OLEDs are incredibly expensive, they will be sold in pretty decent numbers because there are people with that kind of money all over the place who want that 100" experience in their family room. It would cost them over ten times as much for direct view LED. It would cost them less for the LCDs, but then you lose those perfect blacks. So, I expect great things.

But, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

I can't afford it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis