96 Khz vs. 192 Khz DAC's

A

adamd

Audioholic Intern
What would be the advantage of upgrading to the T763 in regards to the DAC's. I currently own the T743. I understand the power and features upgrades.

Directly from NAD.

T743 Cirrus Logic 96kHz, 24 bit Part Number: CS4340, CS4228

T763 Cirrus Logic 192 kHz 24bit Part Number: CS4392, CS4360

Regards,

Adam D

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
I don't know if this would be audible, but i read somewhere that the 96khz DAC has an upper frequency response up to 48khz and the 192khz DAC has an upper freq. resp. up to 96khz. But some other people in this forum are very knowledgeable (is that right?) and will explain you better than me.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
What toquemon is referring to is the Nyquist theorem which says that we must sample at twice the highest frequency we want to reproduce. A signal that was originally sampled at 192 kHz should be faithful to the original up to 96 kHz.

However, that doesn't necessarily equate to whether a 192 kHz dac is better than a 96 kHz dac. The only signals that are 96 kHz or greater are the hi-res tracks from dvd-a or sacd and dts 96/24. If you play a cd (44.1 kHz) or dvd-v (48 kHz) it won't matter if the dac is 96 kHz or 192 kHz UNLESS the receiver upsamples to that rate before the digital to analog conversion. Doing so MAY help to push any noise into the inaudible range, but it's not like it will be a night and day difference.

Still, if given the choice, I'd rather have 192 kHz dacs so that hi-res tracks are not downsampled.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis