C

carpcosmetic

Audiophyte
Is there enough difference between 7 and 9 to upgrade to a 9 system? Dedicated home theater 15 x 20 ft.

Considering the Onky NR1008 vs the RC270

Want to stay under $1100 or so

Any other suggestion appreciated

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
I dunno... I have a 5.1 system because that's all my room allows but I'm not 100% sure that even if I did have the space, that I would upgrade to the 7.1 system. I have heard a few 7.1 systems, but I didn't think that it really added that much to the experience. Having said that, I think that going 9.1 is just a waste of money and won't be worth the speakers that you're going to have to buy to accommodate it.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I have the 1007 and am running the 9.2 in a way. I have my mains bi-amped which takes away my rears, don't have the room for them right now.

I do have the heights and I HIGHLY recommend them.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
there is no content currently encoded in discreet 9.1 format, you would have to use PLIIz, Audessy DSX or Yamaha's Cinema DSP modes to get the front height/width channels that make up the 9.1, and from what I've read/heard it doesn't make that much of a difference since it's more for ambient sounds, and noises that are non directional. I would spend the extra money on getting better speakers instead of more speakers at this point.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
There is barely any content in 7.1.

Yes the programing inside the AVR has to do the processing, but until you hear it you dont what your missing. My father has a full 7.2 setup and it sounds good to me, but something is missing from it.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have a 7.1 system and even though there isn't a lot of content in actual 7.1, I use PLIIx to create a stereo surround back and it works really well, the thing with PLIIz is that the front height speakers won't get much action since they only play non directional sounds, like ambient noises, so it will get used a lot less than surround back speakers will. It can't hurt to try it out if you have the space and money for it, but don't expect it to make a huge difference.

There are currently 179 blu ray titles that have 7.1 audio

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php?OrderBy=Title&Audio=7.1

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Glocks your a great member here and I refuse to get into a pissing contest with you sir. You mentioned 179 movies have 7.1, but yet according to your page there are 3224 BD's; that is only 6% with 7.1.

Have you ever tried Heights or has a friend that I as them. I really recommend them.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Glocks your a great member here and I refuse to get into a pissing contest with you sir. You mentioned 179 movies have 7.1, but yet according to your page there are 3224 BD's; that is only 6% with 7.1.

Have you ever tried Heights or has a friend that I as them. I really recommend them.
I have a friend who has front height speakers, and they are ok, but I personally prefer surround back. I'm talking about using front height in a 9.1 system with PLIIz, not Yamaha Cinema DSP. And the number of actual 7.1 discs is irrelavent when you use PLIIx since that makes everything 7.1 and it doesn't alter the sound, it just steers it to where it should be in relation to what is being displayed on the screen. If you are only doing 7.1 then having front height may make more of a difference, but when using PLIIz with 9.1 I don't think there is that much to gain. I'm definitely a supporter of having 7.1, and I would go with 9.1 if I had a receiver that supported it since I have the speakers, and the room to use them, I'm just not going to run out and buy a $2,000 receiver that supports PLIIz and 9.1 just for minimal results.

http://www.dolby.com/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-IIz.html

I suppose it really just depends on how it's implemented though, and if you have the gear it's definitely worth a try, you can always take it away if you don't like it.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Every time someone who I trust tries DSX, they freaking love it. The only factor is if you have the space to begin with. I won't have space for widths, but it's plausible I might try height speakers in the same manner that rmk has done. However, even this is starting to fade as a possibility, as I'm going to raise my front three a decent amount in the near future. I will be grateful for saving the money. I wouldn't mind spending for the speakers, I think the price there would be reasonable for me. What is the most expensive part of all this is being able to afford the processor that would fit the bill for me.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I liked both the 9.2 and 11.2 systems that I had some time with. Both were based on the Yamaha Z series so I would tell you to look at Yamaha. They do a really good job with their DSP.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
IMHO adding more speakers won't give the upgrade that adding more power, more power handling, better dynamics, flatter frequency response, room treatments, soundstage depth etc would add way more than just more speakers. 9.1 and 11.1 etc just seem redundant to me. A great pair of tower speakers might give the same sense of height, depth, and width within their own soundstage that 11 mediocre speakers might combine to do.

If "somethings not right", you ought to consider why it isn't right, and i doubt it's because you're not hearing the sound of wind coming from 3 feet higher. If I had something like 3 JTRs or 3 Seaton Catalysts or 3 RBH T1s etc as my front soundstage I think it would sound more impressive than having a 7 mediocre speakers dependant on DSP to even get some sound going to them all assorted in front of me.

or maybe i'm wrong. But really, i don't think stuff like PLIIz is worth buying a new receiver over. I'd rather spend 1000 dollars on a great trio of LCR speakers to use as a home theater foundation.

Last edited:
dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
That might be hard to do if the front three already cost $1800.

jinjuku

jinjuku

IMHO adding more speakers won't give the upgrade that adding more power, more power handling, better dynamics, flatter frequency response, room treatments, soundstage depth etc would add way more than just more speakers. 9.1 and 11.1 etc just seem redundant to me. A great pair of tower speakers might give the same sense of height, depth, and width within their own soundstage that 11 mediocre speakers might combine to do.

If "somethings not right", you ought to consider why it isn't right, and i doubt it's because you're not hearing the sound of wind coming from 3 feet higher. If I had something like 3 JTRs or 3 Seaton Catalysts or 3 RBH T1s etc as my front soundstage I think it would sound more impressive than having a 7 mediocre speakers dependant on DSP to even get some sound going to them all assorted in front of me.

or maybe i'm wrong. But really, i don't think stuff like PLIIz is worth buying a new receiver over. I'd rather spend 1000 dollars on a great trio of LCR speakers to use as a home theater foundation.
That is one way of thinking but he's already running a dedicated home theater with treatments and some pretty nice KEF speakers.

If you shop it right you can pick up enough receiver for $1100 that it will supply more than enough juice for a home theater. For the 'ambience' or 'presence' speakers just put some Dayton E series in-walls. Just like the surrounds it isn't going to take a lot of juice.

This coming from a guy with an Adcom 5503 driving his mains :p

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
OK; for 9.1/2 Where is the +2 speakers go? I know 7.1/2 setup but don't kow where the additional speakers would be placed in a 9.1/2 setup.
L_S___C___S_R

L___(____)___R
___B_____B___

Thanks

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
OK; for 9.1/2 Where is the +2 speakers go? I know 7.1/2 setup but don't kow where the additional speakers would be placed in a 9.1/2 setup.
Well, if it was me getting more channels, it would very likely be with DSX. There are at least three different setups you can have with DSX 9.1. It boils down to where you have extra space or gaps. It seems that most people will use height speakers. It seems to be much, much rarer when it's the width speakers instead. Of course there's 11.1 DSX which incorporates both. Well, here are the three 9.1 setups:

If you look at rmk's sytem for example, he is using heights, as I believe dapack does as well.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I have the 1007 and am running the 9.2 in a way. I have my mains bi-amped which takes away my rears, don't have the room for them right now.
May I please ask why your copying my statement?

J

JAC

Enthusiast
Height speakers will be most valuable if your present speaker and the soundstage they create "lacks" the height you would like.

On a whole, adding more speakers creates additional comb filtering potential and generally would negatively impact the best sonics.

1hagop

Audioholic Intern
I have a 5007 with 9.2. My LCR def tech mythos 8, my 6 surrounds are BP2X, 3 CSS SDX 15" subs crossed at 80hz. The sound is amazing the extra 2 speakers are on the ceiling 16' up. It is unbelievable to hear the extra sound, for example helicopters are actually above you. I know there is a lot of bass with a helicopter but the sound above 80hz really localizes above you for the effect. I will, when onkyo gets to 11.2, upgrade and put in 2 more BP2X for the front wide. I just have to do it when the wife is out of town!

1hagop

Audioholic Intern
Forgot to add that A4L has the 1007 for 699
the 3007 for 899
and the 5007 for 1199

D

discokachina

Audiophyte
Who Has Heard Front Highs?

I have an Onkyo NR5008 that is capable of 9.1 and am thinking about adding at least front high speakers since I really do not have room for the front wides. I have some speakers that would fit in the upper corners of my living room but before I go running speaker wire and drilling holes in the wall I am hoping for some more feedback from those who have heard how front high speakers sound. Can some of you who have heard front high speakers comment on what they have added to your listening experience?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis