8K, 4K, Gold plated, HMDI cords - is it worth it?

K

KingSirus

Enthusiast
Hey everybody,

I'm pretty new to online forums, so let me know if this is the right kind of thing I should be posting on here :)

I've recently set up a home cinema system which includes a brand new smart TV, sub and speaker set up.

I'm looking for accessories online and I'm considering buying a gold-plated, 8K HDMI cable with a transfer rate of 48GB per second from this website - https://bunu.tech/bunu-hdmi/home.html

It seems to be a relatively okay price compared to some of the others that I've seen (John Lewis is £99, and there are some online that go up to £2500!!!!) but I wanted to ask: what is the efficacy of this kind of hardware and what kinds of quality difference am I likely to experience?

The TV I have is 8K so I'm presuming I'm better off with a cable that has a high transfer rate?

Josef

Attachments

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Gold plated doesnt really matter much for HDMI cables. Gold is to avoid corrosion so over time or if its a very hot/humid environment it might be helpful but not needed. It doesnt have to be very expensive either. Get something that is certified to be sure it can do what its supposed to. Its not a bad idea to get the Ultra high speed HDMI cable so you have the higher data speeds capabilities if needed later.
I dont know how Bunu is so cant say but i didn’t see the certified sticker glancing at the site. That doesnt mean it cant do what it says it can but its not officially tested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K

KingSirus

Enthusiast
Apparently it's certified but the main thing I was going for was the ultra speed, my TV is 8K so presumed I needed a cable that could handle that kind of data..

Hmmmmmm...

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Not sure if they ship international though but you can probably find these on Amazon almost anywhere in the world.

If you can’t find those try Belkin who has been making cables since the Camadore 64 came out.

K

KingSirus

Enthusiast
Yes the Belkin ones are the ones in John Lewis... for a hundred and twenty quid haha.

That's John Lewis for you though. You can spend a hundred quid on a frying pan in there lol.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Yes the Belkin ones are the ones in John Lewis... for a hundred and twenty quid haha.

That's John Lewis for you though. You can spend a hundred quid on a frying pan in there lol.
Ha! They’re $40 cables, $40 = £28

I’ll sell them to you for £100 including delivery!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Apparently it's certified but the main thing I was going for was the ultra speed, my TV is 8K so presumed I needed a cable that could handle that kind of data..

Hmmmmmm...
You dont need 8k until you have an 8k source and you probably dont. (Or 4k 120hz from the newest consoles PS5/XBOX X)

K

KingSirus

Enthusiast
Ha! They’re $40 cables, $40 = £28

I’ll sell them to you for £100 including delivery!
No way that's hilarious that they have that kind of mark up ahaha. Welcome to Great Britain.

I bet they're 400 quid in Australia LOL

K

KingSirus

Enthusiast
You dont need 8k until you have an 8k source and you probably dont. (Or 4k 120hz from the newest consoles PS5/XBOX X)

What do you mean by an 8K source? The TV is 8K so would that not mean that the source is?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You shouldn't be buying cables because they're pretty, unless you want to. I'm not sure what you have access to, but if it includes Amazon, I would start there. You are looking for any HDMI cable, at the length you need, which supports 48Gbs data rates. If you buy one of those, then I would test it immediately with your 8K source that actually pushes the full 8K signal and can max out the cable's data rate. There is VERY little actual content to test with, so I assume since you spent all the money to get an 8K display, for whatever reason, then you actually have an 8K source to pair with it.

If you don't, then a lot of this is irrelevant. Still, this is the best and proper way to test a cable to ensure it meets up to the claims it makes in their advertising.

K

KingSirus

Enthusiast
You shouldn't be buying cables because they're pretty, unless you want to. I'm not sure what you have access to, but if it includes Amazon, I would start there. You are looking for any HDMI cable, at the length you need, which supports 48Gbs data rates. If you buy one of those, then I would test it immediately with your 8K source that actually pushes the full 8K signal and can max out the cable's data rate. There is VERY little actual content to test with, so I assume since you spent all the money to get an 8K display, for whatever reason, then you actually have an 8K source to pair with it.

If you don't, then a lot of this is irrelevant. Still, this is the best and proper way to test a cable to ensure it meets up to the claims it makes in their advertising.
I bought the 8K TV for gaming as it was the best one in the shop so presumed it would be the best for me to play playstation on, watch films and I'm setting up a full home cinema

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I was trying to write something witty about drinking and f
I bought the 8K TV for gaming as it was the best one in the shop so presumed it would be the best for me to play playstation on..
Bingo, the PlayStation is your source! If it’s gaming you really want it set to 4K 120hz rather than 8k as your frames per second are more important than resolution when gaming. The only way you will get 8k movies is finding a disc that says it’s 8k but there isn’t much out yet. HDMI 2.1 is really only for gaming at the moment but that will gradually change.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
What do you mean by an 8K source? The TV is 8K so would that not mean that the source is?
What the TV can show and what it gets are two very different things but since you bought it for PS5 (i assume since you mentioned playstation) a (certified) Ultra high speed cable is the way to go to be able to run at 4k@120. As many have mentioned brand doesnt matter really if its certified.

(And even if expensive in the UK, its generally even more expensive here in Norway)

K

KingSirus

Enthusiast
I was trying to write something witty about drinking and f

Bingo, the PlayStation is your source! If it’s gaming you really want it set to 4K 120hz rather than 8k as your frames per second are more important than resolution when gaming. The only way you will get 8k movies is finding a disc that says it’s 8k but there isn’t much out yet. HDMI 2.1 is really only for gaming at the moment but that will gradually change.
Right okay I'll look into it. Can't wait for this to be all working :)

K

KingSirus

Enthusiast
What the TV can show and what it gets are two very different things but since you bought it for PS5 (i assume since you mentioned playstation) a (certified) Ultra high speed cable is the way to go to be able to run at 4k@120. As many have mentioned brand doesnt matter really if its certified.

(And even if expensive in the UK, its generally even more expensive here in Norway)

Right okay. I'm going to go with the one I found then. I always think it makes sense to spend a little more money as long as you don't break the bank.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey everybody,

I'm pretty new to online forums, so let me know if this is the right kind of thing I should be posting on here :)

I've recently set up a home cinema system which includes a brand new smart TV, sub and speaker set up.

I'm looking for accessories online and I'm considering buying a gold-plated, 8K HDMI cable with a transfer rate of 48GB per second from this website - https://bunu.tech/bunu-hdmi/home.html

It seems to be a relatively okay price compared to some of the others that I've seen (John Lewis is £99, and there are some online that go up to £2500!!!!) but I wanted to ask: what is the efficacy of this kind of hardware and what kinds of quality difference am I likely to experience?

The TV I have is 8K so I'm presuming I'm better off with a cable that has a high transfer rate?

Josef
Connecting cables are not jewelry. If it's jewelry you after go to the jeweler.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I bought the 8K TV for gaming as it was the best one in the shop so presumed it would be the best for me to play playstation on, watch films and I'm setting up a full home cinema
Resolution doesn't make quality. Quality makes quality. Spending a ton of money on a Ferrari doesn't mean the Ferrari is the best car in the world... just REALLY expensive.
So, it is better to read reviews and ensure that the display you have actually is of high quality.
Of course, since they build these ridiculous and mostly pointless displays that some people buy for almost no reason, people buy them... and here you are finding out you have absolutely nothing which actually can provide 8K content to it unless you intend to buy a computer with a nVidia 3090 graphics card in it and game at about 30 frames per second, because the best graphics card in the world can't keep up with the requirements for 8K resolution.

I would've bought a 77" G1 or C1 from LG and called it a day. It supports 120hz gaming (which very few video systems are capable of), and full 4K resolution with the best image quality on the market. If you have a LCD, you certainly didn't buy the best. If you have a 8K OLED, then it is amazing, but there are basically no sources.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Right okay. I'm going to go with the one I found then. I always think it makes sense to spend a little more money as long as you don't break the bank.
Sure i often do too but im not sure its actually certified, it only says HDMI registered and that doesn’t really mean anything.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Just so its mentioned, even if you wont get to use all the capabilities of the TV it should look really good on normal lower resolution content also so its not really a waste even if expensive as long as you can afford it. I want one too :) but still have an older 55” OLED that im actually happy with but…

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis