80 Hz Crossover. The great AVR question of our time.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I might do this Kurt. Just for shits n giggles. I have fun doing little experiments like that. Tricking your brain can be fun, and can give you new insight!
It seems like I was 70% away from the mains and 30% to the subs when I started to perceive sound from the location of the subs! Of course that is while I am focusing on just that and trying to detect it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've got 3 subs in that room so it'll be fun to see if I can get em to blend in with just the 530's
I didn't require a thing! Since I was using the speaker leads for my mains, I had the XO at 80 (I use 120 for the surrounds per THX). I guess I could have rerun Audyssey in this configuration, but it worked well enough for my curiosity. While you have speakers disconnected, listen to a favorite song or section of an action movie on the subs only! That is enlightening and redefines what it is people mean when they talk about subs being tight!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I'm considered essential care doing psych nursing so I'm working away

It's been a little rough lately lot of suicide admissions A LOT of aggressive drug related admits but that's going to be getting worse though I'm afraid

So busy busy busy but I will try out your suggestion for sure I'll be off this weekend so Ill need a way to detach so that'll be fun
It might have been you that said this recently, but psych patients are like the proverbial canary in the mine - the first to succumb to inordinate stresses! I feel for you! Hang tough and try not to let it burn you out!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't require a thing! Since I was using the speaker leads for my mains, I had the XO at 80 (I use 120 for the surrounds per THX). I guess I could have rerun Audyssey in this configuration, but it worked well enough for my curiosity. While you have speakers disconnected, listen to a favorite song or section of an action movie on the subs only! That is enlightening and redefines what it is people mean when they talk about subs being tight!
Doing this in the past learning where the bass really comes from in movies a lot more of it that midbass kick we look for is a lot higher then people realize

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, when I disconnect the speakers from the back of the amp, I usually just disconnect one of eth leads (all positive or all negatives. these leads are now dead so there is not much you can do to cause a short with them.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Doing this in the past learning where the bass really comes from in movies a lot more of it that midbass kick we look for is a lot higher then people realize
Kind off eye opening really

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why would you pick towers any day?
Room size mostly for me....midrange spl, and mid bass were more favorable to me with my Salk floorstanders..

My RBH 5 book shelf spkr...the sweet spot is about 6' away...the Salks the sweet spot is about 9' away...the room sort of dictates the MLP to be 11' away.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis