8 Channel amp for surrounds/heights

S

Skerik

Audiophyte
Hi all, I have been running an Atmos 7.2.4 config for several years with the help of an Anthem AVM 60. Revel in-wall & in-ceiling speakers (W873 & C763L). The amp powering those 8 channels has been a Marantz MM8003. However it looks like it may be time to replace that as it's in for repair and uncertain outcome there. I've been looking around at 8 channel amps under $2K and have narrowed the choices down to several class D models. In rough order of current preference I'm considering:

Buckeye Hypex NC252MP
VTV Hypex NC252MP
Monoprice M8125x
Starke Sound Fiera 8

The first 3 of course use Hypex Ncore which is well known and basically current SOTA Class D. The Starke Fiera uses a TI chipset which has been reviewed here and elsewhere as not quite measuring as well - but for this use case of height/surround channels, I seriously doubt that makes an audible or practical difference. The main concern at that point would be reliability and price. To wit, the Starke is currently on sale at an extremely attractive price.

So I'm mainly curious at the moment to know if there is any reason to not save > $600 and go with the Starke Fiera 8. I read the Fiera 4 review here and can't see any reason there to not get it. My main hesitance is that I've reached out via chat & phone just to check a couple of things, and after a few hours there is no response. (Not very long timeframe so not a showstopper by any means yet, just that Buckeye & VTV have been more responsive. If it goes another couple of days, that would give me pause.)

Edit: Desmond from Starke Sound called back shortly after I posted and we had a good chat so that concern is alleviated completely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis