75" TV vs. new projector

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
My displays in the theater are getting long in the tooth. I have a wall mounted 42" old tv and a Mitsu 1080p projector which has done well over the years. I am going to replace one of the two in the next month or two.

I got an email from Samsung that their top of the line QLED displays are on sale and the 75" model is down to 3500 bucks. https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-tvs/75--class-q7f-qled-4k-tv-qn75q7famfxza/

My screen gives me 84" with the projector but if I go with the 75 I am thinking I won't need the projector.

Should I be looking at a new projector instead or would I need to get up closer to 5 grand to see the same performance out of a projector?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
My displays in the theater are getting long in the tooth. I have a wall mounted 42" old tv and a Mitsu 1080p projector which has done well over the years. I am going to replace one of the two in the next month or two.

I got an email from Samsung that their top of the line QLED displays are on sale and the 75" model is down to 3500 bucks. https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-tvs/75--class-q7f-qled-4k-tv-qn75q7famfxza/

My screen gives me 84" with the projector but if I go with the 75 I am thinking I won't need the projector.

Should I be looking at a new projector instead or would I need to get up closer to 5 grand to see the same performance out of a projector?
I vote projector, partly because you can get larger screen sizes for cheaper, but mostly because if you get a 75", that 75" TV is eventually going to die and end up in a landfill. See this post if you care to read about the guilt that drove me to become a fan of projectors for big displays. For what it's worth, Acer and Optoma each offers a 4K projector with frame interpolation for <= $2500. It'd be worth checking to see whether either meets your throw requirements.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I think LG is offering an OLED, 65" for $3k. Not sure how much a larger OLED would cost.
QLED is not OLED. Projector?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Once I got my projector TV is like some cave-man thing:) I also got it very cheap, I was going for an older model that was full HD. I gave 800$ for a new unit and I can have 125" HD picture in my home. TV is out of the question. (also, there's no "soap-opera" effect on projectors so I don't feel stupid when I buy them:D:D)

GF also totally fell for it, so after this one goes to 4k heaven, I'll just buy another projector. I couldn't go back to TV.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Sony has a great new true 4K projector VPL-VW285ES that lists for $4999.99. Looked great when I saw it at CEDIA.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Once I got my projector TV is like some cave-man thing:) I also got it very cheap, I was going for an older model that was full HD. I gave 800$ for a new unit and I can have 125" HD picture in my home. TV is out of the question. (also, there's no "soap-opera" effect on projectors so I don't feel stupid when I buy them:D:D)

GF also totally fell for it, so after this one goes to 4k heaven, I'll just buy another projector. I couldn't go back to TV.

Depends on the projector. I've seen some LCD units that can be set to have very bad soap-opera effect. Bleh.

F

FIqbal

Audioholic Intern
I'd vote for projector as long as you can accommodate in your settings. The immersive experience of projector is great and show off to friends and relatives. Once you have the projector experience it is difficult to go back to TV, especially for movies and even regular TV serials. Right now Sony 45ES is selling for $1500 and will give you true 1080P experience. I have the previous model and can attest to pic quality of Sony projectors.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hey guys. Sorry if I was not clear. I have a 1080P projector now in the theater and a flat panel that I can use when I bring up the screen. I've had the projector setup for several years now and have enjoyed it but with the few new 4k projectors I have seen it seems I have to drop at least 5K to get something really nice. I also have to look into if I have to upgrade my screen. If that is the case it is a deal breaker for now.

I may just go down to the 65 or 55 and keep the projector the way it is for now. I played around with one of the QLED Samsungs for a while and was able to get an impressive picture. I didn't have time to play with the LG's but will try and check out the OLED's before I make any decision. I have had bad luck with LG in the past so I am a bit leery.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, no matter how awesome OLED or a 75" UHD 4K TV looks, it will still not give you the "Movie Theater Experience" that a projector and a 120"-150" screen can give you.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey guys. Sorry if I was not clear. I have a 1080P projector now in the theater and a flat panel that I can use when I bring up the screen. I've had the projector setup for several years now and have enjoyed it but with the few new 4k projectors I have seen it seems I have to drop at least 5K to get something really nice. I also have to look into if I have to upgrade my screen. If that is the case it is a deal breaker for now.

I may just go down to the 65 or 55 and keep the projector the way it is for now. I played around with one of the QLED Samsungs for a while and was able to get an impressive picture. I didn't have time to play with the LG's but will try and check out the OLED's before I make any decision. I have had bad luck with LG in the past so I am a bit leery.
You could always look at Sony for OLED. Panel is made by LG, but the rest is Sony. Gets great reviews.

If you're good with a 75" screen then a flat panel would work well, but to get a good one the price will be pretty high. Not as high as the $5k you quoted for a PJ.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have had bad luck with LG in the past so I am a bit leery.
+1. I have 3 different critical issues with LG device long before reasonable end of usable life of the device.
LG Nexus 5 - Wifi died after 1.5 years
LG G4 - Fully crapped out after 5 months
LG 720p plasma TV - fully died after 3.5 years

Similar issues continued to plague more LG devices en-masse including LG Nexux 5X as well as current Pixel 2 XL made by LG - having screen burn-in issues

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
IMO, no matter how awesome OLED or a 75" UHD 4K TV looks, it will still not give you the "Movie Theater Experience" that a projector and a 120"-150" screen can give you.
Great ... now I want a projector ... and drapes.

G

GregBe

Audioholic
I think that if you are still restricted by an 84" screen than definitely go with the 75" tv. If you can get the projected image over 100" your choice gets more difficult.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd vote for projector as long as you can accommodate in your settings. The immersive experience of projector is great and show off to friends and relatives. Once you have the projector experience it is difficult to go back to TV, especially for movies and even regular TV serials. Right now Sony 45ES is selling for $1500 and will give you true 1080P experience. I have the previous model and can attest to pic quality of Sony projectors.
Hand raised.

I had a 110" 1080p Optoma set up in my basement years ago. Admittedly I had all intentions of taking my projector and screen, but the buyer wanted it...and she got it...got full boat on the list price (paid 50% of her closing cost) and another 60% of the cost of the projector and screen.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
After going round and round on this I am getting a new leftover 2016 JVC RS-420 at a screaming deal. :cool:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis