75 ohm coax vs std audio cable for digital signal

S

SoftEng

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Consensus on web seems to be that it doesn't matter in most cases whether you use optical or coax for digital signals.

So, if using coax, does it make a difference if you use 75 ohm cable vs standard RCA-jack cable? &nbsp;I was at Radio Shack and couldn't find any special &quot;coax digital cables&quot;, only standard audio RCA cables.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Most audio cable is inexpensive twisted pair or coax of &nbsp;arbitrary &nbsp;impedance. I would think the mismatch and signal &nbsp;loss at video freqs might make this a less than ideal choice.....</font>

S

SoftEng

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>Most audio cable is inexpensive twisted pair or coax of  arbitrary  impedance. I would think the mismatch and signal  loss at video freqs might make this a less than ideal choice.....</font>
<font color='#000000'>Not sure why you mention video frequencies since I'm using the cable for digital audio?

I just hooked a cheapo audio cable to my PC soundcard digital audio output, other end into my new Yamaha V2400 digital coax input - no problems so far, sounds great!

Am I in la-la land?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>If it works, stay  with it. Audio has a lower bandwidth than video, and digital a bit less critical than analog. But, if you do notice any problems such as  'clicks', get some better cables.... ( binary word being misread and DtoA'd to a wrong amplitude )</font>

S

SoftEng

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
av_phile : <font color='#000000'>The SP/DIF (Sony-Philips Digital Interface) standard for digital interconnect mandates a 75-ohm impedance for consmer electronics.  I think this site may be helpful.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html</font>
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the link. &nbsp;I was aware of the 75-ohm requirement; however, I figure from my reading that if I don't use 75 ohm cable, either the link will work or it won't work at all. &nbsp;Since 75 ohm cable with RCA jacks costs an arm and a leg in the stores I've been too, I figure I'll stick with $4 shielded audio cables as long as things are working. &nbsp;

I noticed from your link that video cable was suggested as a substitute. &nbsp;Perhaps I'll use that.

But for now I'm happily using a 12-foot, $4 audio cable from Radio Shack.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis