$7000-$8000 system? need some expertise

J

jrsmith08

Enthusiast
I wanted to get a thread going because I am a rookie and I have a couple bucks that I would like to spend on a decent home theater system. I have been doing research on plasma vs LCD, various speakers and all sorts of stuff on your site. But since you guys are the experts I wanted to seek your advice, and im sure you hear this question a million times on what to buy for the money so here it is for a million + 1. I have $7,000- 8,000 to spend on a system what you audioholics suggest?

I am interested in a TV, wall mounted. There is sufficient indirect light in the room, viewing will be about 10-12 feet away. Furthermore, i am looking for a reciever, dvd, speakers, sub, and any other components I may need. Like everyone else I want to get all I can for my money and thats where I need some advice.

The room is not rectangular but more of an "L" shaped room. The wall the tv will be mounted on is about 15 ft in length. the depth of the room varies from anywhere to 20 - 30 feet. I was thinking 6.1 system, with 3 rear - in-ceiling mounted speakers. I wanted to see what you guys thought for front audio, if it should be in-wall or floor-standing. Space is an issue but not an extreme issue. Also, I feel that the visual quality of the television is more important then super high quality sound, if i should think the other way around don't hesitate to tell me. I will be using comcast digital television if that makes any difference.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have, and I would like to thank you for any help in advance.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hello,

I would first figure out a few things.

1-How much of your budget is going to a TV?
2-Forget electronics right now and figure out a speakers budget.
3-Once speaker budget is figured out, you can budget your gear. Also figure out what gear to drive the speakers you'll need.

For a DVD player I would look here,

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/dv981hd_index.html

For a sub here But not until you figure out speaker budget.

www.svsound.com
www.hsuresearch.com

Cables and Wire

www.bluejeanscable.com

Parts Express

J

jrsmith08

Enthusiast
Hello,

I would first figure out a few things.

1-How much of your budget is going to a TV?
2-Forget electronics right now and figure out a speakers budget.
3-Once speaker budget is figured out, you can budget your gear. Also figure out what gear to drive the speakers you'll need.

For a DVD player I would look here,

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/dv981hd_index.html

For a sub here But not until you figure out speaker budget.

www.svsound.com
www.hsuresearch.com

Cables and Wire

www.bluejeanscable.com

Parts Express
1. 2,000-3,000
2. 3-3,500 for speakers
3. electronics 2000-2500
Edit/Delete Message

T

timetohunt

Audioholic
Speakers. Unless you have some really key video needs. That is where to put the core bucks, in my opinion. Are you going to play music?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Look to spend at leat $4000 on speakers and around $1000-1500 on the receiver and source.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
You could spend that entire budget on a Pioneer PROF Plasma :D :D
Absolutely stunning picture!!!

Yes, I did it, I recommended video over audio! Just call me a heretic :)

You may also consider Axiom for your speakers too! Lovely boxes and you can read their reviews on this site.

J

jrsmith08

Enthusiast
Lets see.
From what i am gathering you all feel that i should spend more on speakers. The thing is, this is for a 2,200 sq ft apartment and this will be the set up for the living room. Now i dont need a state of the art sound system since i am going to just watch DVD's and the occasional episode of '24' and Ravens games. So i was looking to spend more on the TV since i am interested in watching Ray Lewis run rampant around the field. From what everyone is saying, i think that i am going in the wrong direction and should focus on spending more on the speakers. Do you feel that in-wall or floor standing is the way to go in the front, consider i have to go in-ceiling in the rear. Furthermore, i see all the links and i greatly appreciate it but i have no clue what speaker does what, i'm assuming i should go check out some sound around town.

-So while i do more research on the links that you all sent me, my next question is what type of TV do you all reccomend. ($2-$3k, size i would prefer 50in or higher, plasma or lcd is up to what you all think) so if you could provide some insite on that i think i might be able to start pulling all this great help together and make a couple plays.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If you live in an apartment, why would you want to invest in in-walls and in-ceiling speakers?

Also in the links that I provided. I stated what series to look at in my opinion.

For a television maybe this link will help. www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you live in an apartment, why would you want to invest in in-walls and in-ceiling speakers?

Also in the links that I provided. I stated what series to look at in my opinion.

For a television maybe this link will help. www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com
I second that.:)

I wasn't suggesting you adjust your Television price, only your receiver to better fit your speaker budget. Spending the same amount on the receiver as your speakers is nonsense!

J

jrsmith08

Enthusiast
The reason i was thinking in-walls in the condo was becuase i own it and i dont plan on moving for at least 5-10 years, furthermore i was considering the fact that gigantic rear spearkers mounted on the wall are not very aesthetically pleasing. I am getting alot of help from all you guys and i greatly appreciate it, i have been researching all the links and my next question is the following.
- i posted on another thread about receiver and dvd player. Now i saw what everyone said in here but i forgot to mention that i have a PS3. If i have the PS3 do i really need to go get another DVD player? and if so i saw people reccomended the Oppo DB-981HD. ANd for receivers people have reccomended the Yahmaha RX-v1700 and 2700. Which of these two are more sufficient for a 6.1 system and are there any other options.
-thanks so much for all your help.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Just my personal opinion your jumping way ahead of yourself thinking of a receiver. You might pick out speakers that need a seperate amp. So your thinking of something right now that could change later on when you finally choose speakers. Again that's just my opinion.

So it's a condo. OK you said apartment, a big difference. How about some pictures of the room?

You also might want to ask this guy his opinion on in-walls. If you can fit these into your budget, this is the way to go. Again in my opinion.

Meet "Triad Dude"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?userid=2594

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=808015

Hanse18

Hanse18

Audioholic
You mentioned earlier that people are suggesting you should spend more on audio than video. Well, the name of the site is audioholics, and if you look at the number of post on the video section of the forum vs. the audio section, it is obvious that this is an audio-first site. As everyone else always says, it's up to you. I think the prevailing opinion is that a nice set of speakers will last you a lot longer than a nice TV. A TV made 10 years ago is basically obsolete, while there are 20 year old speakers that are still selling for like 75% their original retail price, sometimes more! But, those are usually very expensive speakers, and probably not worth the investment if you just want to watch football. I just put some speakercraft in-celiing speakers in for my surrounds. I am not much of an audio buff myself, but the entire woofer pivots within the speaker can, so you can direct the sound in whatever direction you want.

One thing I will say, is be sure to leave some headroom in your budget. There is always stuff you forget to add up in your budget, and the little things add up quickly.

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
personally deriving from i think you want i would go with a really good plasma and not as much as av gear because in a L shaped room many speakers would not sound good anyway

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
also if you are not into the whole hi-fi thing ,to your ears practically any speakers will sound good

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
also if you are not into the whole hi-fi thing ,to your ears practically any speakers will sound good
So your saying he should just get a set of Bose since "practically any speakers will sound good"? :eek:

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
1. 2,000-3,000
2. 3-3,500 for speakers
3. electronics 2000-2500
Edit/Delete Message
I wouldn't pigeonhole yourself into a price range for any particular item i.e. $2000-$3500 for speakers. You'll get a lot more choices if you go into this with the idea of "I'll spend up to .... amount for this item." There are a lot of superb options that are way under priced for their value and performance. You can still walk out with superb equipment that will blow people's minds away when they see/hear your system and keep some change for a nice evening out or vacation. Just using the rule/theory of diminishing returns.

Too much is made of "I spent $8K on my system. So it's better than yours. I rule."

Just my 2 copper Lincolns.
Lots of good info so far.

-pat

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
As a fellow appartment/condo dweller, I reccomend this setup:

TV - $3500
Main speakers - $800
2-channel pre-amp with remote (ebay) - 200
Sub - 600

This is a 2-channel setup, but if you are mostly watching tv this will work great as most tv is in 2-channel. You can add center and surrounds later.

The decision on what you should use as a player for movies etc. is a personal decision based on how you use it and what you want it for. It is hard to know if you want HD or not....

majorloser

majorloser

Just my personal opinion your jumping way ahead of yourself thinking of a receiver. You might pick out speakers that need a seperate amp. So your thinking of something right now that could change later on when you finally choose speakers. Again that's just my opinion.

So it's a condo. OK you said apartment, a big difference. How about some pictures of the room?

You also might want to ask this guy his opinion on in-walls. If you can fit these into your budget, this is the way to go. Again in my opinion.

Meet "Triad Dude"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?userid=2594

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=808015
If you want in-walls and you have that much money to spend, the DEFINITELY look at Triads!

http://www.triadspeakers.com/

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis