$70,000 in cables anyone?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I came across this review on $70,000 MSRP of cables made buy MasterBuilt. The reviewer is a total clown. It's worth reviewing...

Cables from SPACE!
"The four partners involved in the development, design, and creation of (MasterBuilt) products are all full-time employees of a leading aerospace contractor, where they all work making cables, wiring systems, and electronics. The cables are created and crafted by a group of scientists who also happen to be audiophiles... The roots of MasterBuilt Audio can be found in the U.S. aerospace program, where these contractors developed wiring systems with low-reactance cable for use in the Apollo lunar missions and other NASA projects, such as the International Space Station."

Here's some big sciency words!
"Proprietary fluoropolymers are used in all MBA cables to eliminate signal “ghosting,” and the extrusion of the insulation onto the conductor is done in a way that prevents the conductor from being oxidized by the process. MBA also employs a proprietary method of dampening inside the cable bundle to minimize the effects of vibration on the individual conductors."

We tested it, but never published it!
"these cables were developed over several decades of research into metallurgy, electrical field effects, and the chemistry of dielectric materials, and are based on years of research and A/B/X testing by scientists"

So the wanna be Avant Garde call exotic cables a "loom."
"The full loom included four single-ended interconnects, one USB cable, one pair of bi-wire speaker cables, and nine AC cables. The retail price of the loom in this configuration was $70,775."

Now for the grand finale of DUMB!
"All cables take time to season and settle, but the MasterBuilt Reference cables seemed to require a longer run-in time than I’ve come to expect, even when using my cable cooker. As a reviewer who must routinely substitute cables and other components, I’ve invested in a cable burn-in device. The unit I own, the AudioDharma Cable Cooker 2.5 EFS, runs a continuous square-wave frequency sweep of about 1 VAC for interconnects and 22 VAC for speaker and power cables, oscillating from 0Hz (DC) to ≈ 40kHz, and back. Several days on this device is more effective than many weeks or even months of routine play. And in my estimation, it affords more effectual, not just more expedient, results that are unattainable by simply dropping the cables in place and playing your favorite burn-in material.

Yet even after being cycled through my cooker for what I have found to be the optimum period for most cables, the MBA References still took weeks after installation to offer their best. To be fair, I could have tossed them back on the cooker for another 12–18 hours, but I really wanted to hear them, so into my system they went. (Because such a cook-in device may require an expenditure that you don’t feel compelled to make, be certain to speak with your dealer about auditioning fully run-in cables in your system, as it makes a significant difference, particularly with this loom.)"

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
"All cables take time to season and settle, but the MasterBuilt Reference cables seemed to require a longer run-in time than I’ve come to expect, even when using my cable cooker.
Of course! He didn't cryo-treat those cables.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I feel like using a cable cooker is the slow man's approach. Why do that when you can wire them up to a lamp using a 100W bulb for 24hrs straight? That'll heat em up for sure...

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I feel like using a cable cooker is the slow man's approach. Why do that when you can wire them up to a lamp using a 100W bulb for 24hrs straight? That'll heat em up for sure...
No no no! you'll confuse the wires! they will then only behave properly as power cables!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Take some Tylenol for as few days. ;) :D
If condition persists, better see your doctor, if you have one.
The only cure is cheap cables that do the trick better than 70,000 dollar cables some sucker just bought.

S

Sleqzypig

Audioholic Intern
I came across this review on $70,000 MSRP of cables made buy MasterBuilt. The reviewer is a total clown. It's worth reviewing...

Cables from SPACE!
"The four partners involved in the development, design, and creation of (MasterBuilt) products are all full-time employees of a leading aerospace contractor, where they all work making cables, wiring systems, and electronics. The cables are created and crafted by a group of scientists who also happen to be audiophiles... The roots of MasterBuilt Audio can be found in the U.S. aerospace program, where these contractors developed wiring systems with low-reactance cable for use in the Apollo lunar missions and other NASA projects, such as the International Space Station."

Here's some big sciency words!
"Proprietary fluoropolymers are used in all MBA cables to eliminate signal “ghosting,” and the extrusion of the insulation onto the conductor is done in a way that prevents the conductor from being oxidized by the process. MBA also employs a proprietary method of dampening inside the cable bundle to minimize the effects of vibration on the individual conductors."

We tested it, but never published it!
"these cables were developed over several decades of research into metallurgy, electrical field effects, and the chemistry of dielectric materials, and are based on years of research and A/B/X testing by scientists"

So the wanna be Avant Garde call exotic cables a "loom."
"The full loom included four single-ended interconnects, one USB cable, one pair of bi-wire speaker cables, and nine AC cables. The retail price of the loom in this configuration was $70,775."

Now for the grand finale of DUMB!
"All cables take time to season and settle, but the MasterBuilt Reference cables seemed to require a longer run-in time than I’ve come to expect, even when using my cable cooker. As a reviewer who must routinely substitute cables and other components, I’ve invested in a cable burn-in device. The unit I own, the AudioDharma Cable Cooker 2.5 EFS, runs a continuous square-wave frequency sweep of about 1 VAC for interconnects and 22 VAC for speaker and power cables, oscillating from 0Hz (DC) to ≈ 40kHz, and back. Several days on this device is more effective than many weeks or even months of routine play. And in my estimation, it affords more effectual, not just more expedient, results that are unattainable by simply dropping the cables in place and playing your favorite burn-in material.

Yet even after being cycled through my cooker for what I have found to be the optimum period for most cables, the MBA References still took weeks after installation to offer their best. To be fair, I could have tossed them back on the cooker for another 12–18 hours, but I really wanted to hear them, so into my system they went. (Because such a cook-in device may require an expenditure that you don’t feel compelled to make, be certain to speak with your dealer about auditioning fully run-in cables in your system, as it makes a significant difference, particularly with this loom.)"

I am sold. I am going to the bank tomorrow to take out a loan to get these cables.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
They really work better..I have a dozen of them and can vouch for it ;-)

Just the cables produce music.., dont need any source device or speaker or anything else..,just the cables. So magical :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
They really work better..I have a dozen of them and can vouch for it ;-)

Just the cables produce music.., dont need any source device or speaker or anything else..,just the cables. So magical :)
For 70 grand, Metallica can come to my house and perform.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
"Proprietary fluoropolymers are used in all MBA cables to eliminate signal “ghosting,”
Well this part makes perfect sense!
I'm pretty sure Ghostbusters use fluoropolymer ray guns to great effect!!!

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Probably can't play my Police Ghost in the Machine cd with these...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Several performances? Hell, they take a year just to burn in!
See how many very good performances you have been already getting. You would have missed them for a full year! :rolleyes: At that price, they definitely shouldn't need a brake-in period! o_O They should break them in before putting them on the market! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis