7.3.4 Atmos speakers locations

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok guys, I need to pick the big brains around here. Not sure how to ask my question but, here goes.
My Rsl C34e’s are on the way, and I’ve pored over as much literature as I can find, and had decided on my locations. Except one thing. My ceiling has a 10deg rise from left to right. My mains are 8’-6” apart, so I’m using that as my Atmos spacing to maintain the “square” over my head. The problem is due to the rise, the square turns into a trapezoid when viewed from the top, effectively shortening the distance between the top right front/rear Atmos speakers. So question one is, in the attached picture, where do I choose for the right side Atmos speakers to maintain the geometry? 1,2,3, or somewhere along the “2”axis?

Second question is tied to the first.

In this picture, we’re looking at the back of the room, so the left side of the pic is the right side of the room(just worked out when I was doodling).

So, “C” is an imaginary ceiling height of 9’. This is derived from the height of the left side of my room. “E” is showing the 4.25’ distance from center to each of the Atmos locations, and illustrating the angle between the LP and speakers, on what would be a flat ceiling.

“D” is actually my ceiling. As you can see, 4.25’ from center shortens the angle to and places that speaker at location “A”. To maintain the correct geometry to the LP, the speaker should be in location “B”, at 5.25’ but this places it outside of the imaginary line above the right front.
So.... what should I do here? I have 12 can lights. So, do I have the speakers follow their “lines” and potentially mess up my experience, put them where they need to go and have them look random( don’t care too much), and have odd spacing with the lights. Waf is pretty low, and she doesn’t much care either way. From what I’ve read, it’s hard to get this wrong, BUT I only want to cut up my ceiling once.
Am I splitting hairs? I emailed Dolby, but they informed me that they don’t have any direct user support.
I can add pics of my ceiling for reference.
Thanks guys, I hope my doodles are clear enough.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just saw this and had a similar issue. What I did was ignore the location of my can lights and put the speakers as close to Dolby spec as possible. This got me a great experience and I've yet to install my ceiling speakers. I'm still using my "on wall" temp speakers.

I think for you position 2 E would work best because it looks to keep the proper angle to the listening position. If A is the actual ceiling then put the "front height" there to keep the angle correct.

The most important thing is to get as close as possible to the Dolby specified angle in relation to the listening position. I did that and got great results. The ONLY issue with mine is my side speakers are a bit too far back, but the door that leads into my theater is to blame for that. I'm only about 10 degrees off so it still sounds awesome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis