7.1 to 5.1.2 or 7.1.2

S

Sub

Audiophyte
Need some setup advice here folks. I have 7.1 setup but there is an issue with rear surrounds. The couch is up against the wall and the rear surrounds are on the wall close to the ceiling. Other 5 speakers are perfectly placed.( including surrounds).

So here’s the question.For a good atmos experience should i just forgo the rear surrounds and get atmos speakers to mount on top of my front speakers for upward firing position to get 5.1.2 or leave the setup as is and add atmos at the front to get 7.1.2 setup?

i cant do any ceiling speakers. I reviewed the dolby setups but i cant have that setup given my limitation. Cant get perfect but atleast aiming for something closer. Thoughts and ideas from someone who knows this or have a similar setup are much appreciated.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If your AVR will support them, you could always experiment with Front Height and Top Front (or Top Middle) as a combination in a 5.x.4 set up. You do not have to install tops in the ceiling but can mount something like the SVS Prime Elevations at the side wall/ceiling junction, aimed at LP, and as close to possible in the front-to back placement as the in-ceiling options per Dolby's recommendations. :)

All that said, how big is your room? Layout? (Photos are always helpful for this kind of thing.) :D

FWIW, I tried running just Fr.Ht. for a while and was unimpressed. If that is your only option and you want to experiment, no reason not to...
I would, however, recommend putting forth the extra effort and make certain your bed layer is the absolute best set up you can. The better your bed layer is set up, the more luck you will have with the overhead speakers.

Oh... and avoid those Bouncy-House Atmos Modules that are supposed to reflect off the ceiling. ;) For those to work properly, you must have perfect geometry for those sounds to even have a chance of giving you a decent quality almost believable bubble of sound.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would avoid 7ch anything being against the wall. If you can go on the side walls I’d recommend this, in a 5.1.4 or 5.1.2 arrangement.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Try it. Im going from 6.1 to 6.1.2 with my surrounds and surround back against the wall

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't imagine your rear surrounds with such little separation worked well, let alone the acoustic issues a couch up against the wall can create.

S

Sub

Audiophyte
Thanks for all your inputs. My 7.1 receiver was hit by lightning and my hdmi ports dont work well. So i have been saving for few months now for a new receiver and hence the dilemma for 7ch or 9ch. If i could i would test it. Dont want to drill any holes in wall and go through the setup. Also I have a very active toddler at home :) so cant leave things in open where he can reach. Its a 10 x 12 ft living room. So looks like i need to go to 9ch and try different things to see what works best. I am not big into loud sounds and more content with clarity. Thanks all and for the pic. A great setup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis