7.1 speaker system, on a budget...

N

Netling

Enthusiast
While I completely understand that a decent system is going to cost more than a few grand are there any 7.1 speaker systems that stands head and shoulder above other for an affordable price? Affordable being in these three price ranges: (older or new speakers)

0-$500 -
$500 - $1000 -
$1000-$1500 -

I'm talking speakers and not the receiver, so lets assume everyone has a 7.1 receiver (personally, I have a Denon AVR-S730H). These don't have to be the newest, because sometimes, especially in the speaker world, old school is better than latest/newest. Taking into consideration everyone is operating out of an "average" sized HT room (20x20').

I've read tons of advise and seen some crazy expensive speakers but I've just never been "convinced" that more $$$ actually means greater listen pleasure, specially while watching a movie. (I'm middle age, so I don't hear every tone pitch perfect.)

Looking forward to the input, opinions and suggestions.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Not really an answer but more questions, it might be a good idea to look for a 5.1 or 5.2(dual subs depending on space and bass needs), the extra rear speakers in 7 dont give much vs a bit more money for the other speakers/subwoofer(s).
You should also be looking for speakers that have clear voices and dont try too hard in bass, let a subwoofer or two handle that. They are much better at it.

Edit: when listening to speakers in stores(or if used) start low volume, which is not what the salesperson consider low, play around with volume some and then some low volume again at end or close to end to hear if things are clear. Store volume is very rarely what ppl listen at at home for normal tv use and its important to be aware of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For an inexpensive system, look at the Dayton MK442 speakers, very nice speakers for $50 each. You can get a decent front stage trio for $150. Use some MK402s as surrounds or some Polk T15s. Add to that a couple Sub-1200s or Monoprice 12 subs. That would be a nice 7.2 system for around $500 to $600.

If you can spend a bit more, look at Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy speakers. When you get to around $300/pair speakers, your options really start to widen. Lots of great choices. Also some great choices when you get up to the $500 price point in subwoofers.

N

Netling

Enthusiast
it might be a good idea to look for a 5.1 or 5.2(dual subs depending on space and bass needs), the extra rear speakers in 7 dont give much vs a bit more money for the other speakers/subwoofer(s).

You should also be looking for speakers that have clear voices and dont try too hard in bass, let a subwoofer or two handle that. They are much better at it.

Edit: when listening to speakers in stores(or if used) start low volume, play around with volume some and then some low volume again at end or close to end to hear if things are clear. its important to be aware of that.
Thanks! Great suggestions and will take as advise. Considering those points, what system or brands are recommended? I've read a little on RSL CG3, also say a review here from 2013 on Pioneer ranking very high but only <$600, of course in the consumer world outside of audio forums Bose is supposedly the "best".

Any directions and thoughts is appreciated.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Thanks! Great suggestions and will take as advise. Considering those points, what system or brands are recommended? I've read a little on RSL CG3, also say a review here from 2013 on Pioneer ranking very high but only
Any directions and thoughts is appreciated.
I dont really know much about budget speakers and live in Norway so many of the known brands in the US i havent heard. That said its a very good idea to go and listen to a few different ones you are considering and also some a bit higher priced then you are aiming for to compare and find out what you like. (Which is the most important factor)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Affordable being in these three price ranges: (older or new speakers)

0-$500 -
$500 - $1000 -
$1000-$1500 -
Is that per speaker, per pair or for the entire 7.1 system?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also keep in mind that bundled speaker/sub sets are usually not the way to go and there's no reason to have the same brand speakers as subs (aside from matching aesthetic perhaps)...the RSL or Hsu combos might be an exception for your price range, tho.

N

Netling

Enthusiast
Is that per speaker, per pair or for the entire 7.1 system?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Entire system... my situation is easy, I run my own business but recently single (as in the door hasn't even shut yet.) so while I have some money to update my current system (Denon AVR-S730H, Klipsch 5.1, Epson Projector, Elite Screen 100") I can't afford to put tons of money into this and they why I see it, I will be saving money because now my focus is back on my business during the week and during weekends/evening spent at home (I'm in my 40's so clubbing isn't in the picture) enjoying documentaries, movies, music, etc.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As long as the JBL Arena B15 are on closeout for $79/pr (MSRP $199/pr), I think it is your best option for the two pairs of surrounds:
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Bookshelf-Surround-Speaker-Special/dp/B01EYJZYQ2/?tag=dealnewscom&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Note that these are sealed speakers designed to be flush mounted using the "keyhole" on the back without any stands or special mounting hardware.

$350 get a pair of New Affordable Accuracy for R & L ($200/pr) and an Affordable Accuracy Center Channel ($150). Estimate another $45 for shipping for a total of $395
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/

Dual Monoprice 12" subs from newegg for $120/ea shipped (Monoprice charges $99 each for these subs, but for me in GA, they want another $52 each to ship them):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8SV5325748&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Home+Electronics+Accessories-_-9SIA8SV5325748&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyYHaBRDvARIsAHkAXcs_cV7WhpDsdpIaUhUCcb716BmnSv9HpElgvR3FeyLih5x_E6u4kDEaAsFwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That comes to $795 total. You can drop one sub and get the price to $675, but I like dual subs to even the response across the room.

Note: I would consider the SUB-1200 sold by parts express equivalent to the Monoprice sub. Right now PE wants $143/ea for the SUB-1200 shipped, but if they run a sale, the SUB-1200 may end up costing less!

I would go ahead and get the 4 ea. JBL surrounds for $160. I believe that is a closeout sale that may end abruptly when the supply is depleted. I see them as a no-brainer no matter what you do for the rest of the system!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis