7.1 integrated amp with analog input?

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
So, apparently with what I’m trying to accomplish the Rel sub was a good buy. I found out today that the .1 input on the sub has a static 120hz crossover.

So that means I can send the signal directly from my audio card and bypass the AVR. 1 step closer to being able to eliminate the AVR if that’s the way I go.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't consider Rel a good value myself, particularly not in the US (a 10" driver with a single 10" passive radiator with an f6 of 28hz for $1300 doesn't strike me as a particularly good value)....maybe in their home market they're priced better. Anyways, the "crossover" is only a low pass filter as it has no outputs for speakers to provide a high pass filter for them (it takes both a low pass filter for the sub plus a high pass filter for the speakers to constitute a crossover). Rel does offer goofy advice on sub hook up but they're aimed at the crowd with old 2ch gear in any case.

ps What most subs have for an "LFE" input is an automatic bypass of the sub's low pass filter, to allow the avr or pre-pro the bass management duties. LFE channel itself is limited to 120hz content generally.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, apparently with what I’m trying to accomplish the Rel sub was a good buy. I found out today that the .1 input on the sub has a static 120hz crossover.

So that means I can send the signal directly from my audio card and bypass the AVR. 1 step closer to being able to eliminate the AVR if that’s the way I go.
Two ways of doing what you want.

1) 3.5mm to RCA to a multi-channel amp or whatever amp config you need. Hook up the speakers, done. You could always go with studio monitors and avoid the amp, but that's a big purchase. The .1 channel can go directly to the sub and let the PC do all the bass management. I did this for a few years with a full 7.1 setup.

2) HDMI to an AVR and bypass the current soundcard. I've been doing this even long and have been much happier. AVR is MUCH better than my PC for bass management and room correction. The reason is because I'm either in my theater or office and the setup is less gaming and more toward watching TV/Movies.

I do have consoles in my office, but my PC is a stereo setup :( because of how things are set up, I can't do surround for PC. BUT I can play on my TV and have full surround again. TV isn't as good as my monitor so there are trade offs.

For you, your PC is your main source and you're using a monitor. I'd go with #1 (even though, IMHO, it isn't as good) since you're controlling the volume with your keyboard. Just like I do when playing games. This will work quite well, but not as well as if you had a higher end DAC that had multichannel out support like a professional audio interface and studio monitors (just to simplify things). That lets you eliminate the AVR and amps all together. I've got friends that do that and love it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don't consider Rel a good value myself, particularly not in the US (a 10" driver with a single 10" passive radiator with an f6 of 28hz for $1300 doesn't strike me as a particularly good value)....maybe in their home market they're priced better. Anyways, the "crossover" is only a low pass filter as it has no outputs for speakers to provide a high pass filter for them (it takes both a low pass filter for the sub plus a high pass filter for the speakers to constitute a crossover). Rel does offer goofy advice on sub hook up but they're aimed at the crowd with old 2ch gear in any case.

ps What most subs have for an "LFE" input is an automatic bypass of the sub's low pass filter, to allow the avr or pre-pro the bass management duties. LFE channel itself is limited to 120hz content generally.
Wow. That's expensive for that poor LFE extension. My JBL was less than $200 and it's better than that.

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
Two ways of doing what you want.

1) 3.5mm to RCA to a multi-channel amp or whatever amp config you need. Hook up the speakers, done. You could always go with studio monitors and avoid the amp, but that's a big purchase. The .1 channel can go directly to the sub and let the PC do all the bass management. I did this for a few years with a full 7.1 setup.

2) HDMI to an AVR and bypass the current soundcard. I've been doing this even long and have been much happier. AVR is MUCH better than my PC for bass management and room correction. The reason is because I'm either in my theater or office and the setup is less gaming and more toward watching TV/Movies.

I do have consoles in my office, but my PC is a stereo setup :( because of how things are set up, I can't do surround for PC. BUT I can play on my TV and have full surround again. TV isn't as good as my monitor so there are trade offs.

For you, your PC is your main source and you're using a monitor. I'd go with #1 (even though, IMHO, it isn't as good) since you're controlling the volume with your keyboard. Just like I do when playing games. This will work quite well, but not as well as if you had a higher end DAC that had multichannel out support like a professional audio interface and studio monitors (just to simplify things). That lets you eliminate the AVR and amps all together. I've got friends that do that and love it.
The problem with the hdmi route, is two fold. 1. I get video card coil whine through the whole system when its connected. may be because im also running display port from video card to monitor (required for high refresh) and creating a ground loop. 2. Seems to only run as stero instead of surround in the games. seems analog is about the only way to go for that.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The problem with the hdmi route, is two fold. 1. I get video card coil whine through the whole system when its connected. may be because im also running display port from video card to monitor (required for high refresh) and creating a ground loop. 2. Seems to only run as stero instead of surround in the games. seems analog is about the only way to go for that.
True. Having two displays hooked up (even though the receiver isn't technically a display) makes funky stuff happen. Coil whine sucks.

Solution to 2 is setting the speaker layout properly. That's an easy fix. Mine can do 7.1 pcm AND Atmos no problem and that's without bitstream.

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
True. Having two displays hooked up (even though the receiver isn't technically a display) makes funky stuff happen. Coil whine sucks.

Solution to 2 is setting the speaker layout properly. That's an easy fix. Mine can do 7.1 pcm AND Atmos no problem and that's without bitstream.
I swear I have tried that. But it’s been a long time since I did. But problem number 1 kind of makes this a moot point.

As far as the Rel goes, I ended up with a brand new T/9i for $1100. I know. Still expensive compared to a lot of others. But I really dig how well it integrates for 2 channel listening with the high level inputs.

I have a couple other subs if I need to go deeper. But that’s what the tv and it’s corresponding setup is for right?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis