7.1 integrated amp with analog input?

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
First off, I'm not sure what I'm looking for exists.

So here's the setup

PC setup using a Soundblaster X3 External DAC/Soundcard sending discrete 5.1/7.1 into the multichannel input of a Yamaha RX-V667 via 3 3.5mm to RCA interconnects.
I have Focal Aria 906's Front and Rear, an Aria CC900 Center, and a REL T/9i hooked up via high level, and also using the .1 LFE channel.

What id like to do is give the speakers more power, and downsize a little bit in the equipment on my desk. The receiver is a bit large, and don't really have another place to put it. Also I don't need any video output since i use the displayport from the pc to my monitor.

What would be ideal is an integrated amp that supports 5.1 or ideally 7.1 channel analog input, or something of the like.

This is mainly for music/gaming and maybe some light netflix/plex streaming.

The Parasound Halo P7 looked like a great option, but needs an amp as well. And running directly to a 5 or 7 channel amp would work except for not having LFE.

any help or advice is appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
AVRs are the most common type of multich "integrated amp" already and definitely the best priced.

AVRs have bass management which many integrated amps do not, particularly 2ch flavor and that's most of the integrated amps out there. I'd imagine a 7.1 integrated amp wouldn't save much on the dimensions of an avr. Let alone something like a pre-pro/7.1 preamp and power amp combo as far as size savings go.

A highly specialized dac/amp combo of small size is probably out there but probably on the expensive side (the Okto 8 dac or a multich minidsp unit plus compact class D multich amp?).

Why not simply move the avr off your desk? You listen so loud at a desk the avr is insufficient?

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
Moving the receiver isn’t really an option. I don’t have anywhere else to put. It’s kind of an interesting setup. I’d provide a pic but it’s a disaster right now.
It’s similar to a studio so my bed is directly behind me as I sit at the desk. And the desk is in an alcove of sorts.

I feel like the speakers have more to offer with more power than my AVR can provide, and I have a hard time spending money on a higher end receiver since none of the features would really be of any benefit. Demo’d a Marantz SR6014.I liked the streaming capability but didn’t do much else for me. And ran very hot. Measured up to 113f on the top of the unit.

Using the multi channel bypasses everything including room correction. And optical isn’t an option since no games I have played support more than just 2 channel while using it.

I figured a nice high end integrated or something of the like, as long it has the features I need would be a nice step up in power and sound quality over my yamaha. The only other option would be a multi channel amp along side the Yamaha and then lose even more desk space.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So just how far from the speakers are you and at what level on the reference volume scale (assuming you've calibrated) on your avr do you generally listen?

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
Both vary. When gaming I'm approximately 4-5 feet. When listening to music can be 6-8 feet. the receiver is set to turn on at -15.0 DB. and I manage volume in windows. Gaming can be 30-50% in windows and music depending on what I'm listening to can go 70-100%

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Both vary. When gaming I'm approximately 4-5 feet. When listening to music can be 6-8 feet. the receiver is set to turn on at -15.0 DB. and I manage volume in windows. Gaming can be 30-50% in windows and music depending on what I'm listening to can go 70-100%
Well, with that way of controlling volume hard to know what your listening levels are. Why do you bother with having the computer doing volume control? Generally you'd want to max out volume on the computer and use the avr. Your avr doesn't have a volume scale expressed in percentage, it's logarithmic.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't believe there is such a device.

If you want to do this it would require designing a preamp an using a seven channel or multiple power amps. It would all be pretty simple, except for the volume control. There are chips out there that would allow for this to be done as a DIY project. I don't know of anything off the shelf that you could purchase. You would also need an active crossover for the 0.1. You would end up with a foot print far larger than a receiver. This project is just not practical.

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
Well, with that way of controlling volume hard to know what your listening levels are. Why do you bother with having the computer doing volume control? Generally you'd want to max out volume on the computer and use the avr. Your avr doesn't have a volume scale expressed in percentage, it's logarithmic.
True, but there is volume control on the keyboard, where my hands are anyways. And I don’t have to stretch to reach the knob on the receiver or locate the remote and or I’m lazy haha.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True, but there is volume control on the keyboard, where my hands are anyways. And I don’t have to stretch to reach the knob on the receiver or locate the remote and or I’m lazy haha.
There's always that....just harder to share a calibrated level to give us an idea of your listening levels (unless you take some readings with a meter....)

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
I don't believe there is such a device.

If you want to do this it would require designing a preamp an using a seven channel or multiple power amps. It would all be pretty simple, except for the volume control. There are chips out there that would allow for this to be done as a DIY project. I don't know of anything off the shelf that you could purchase. You would also need an active crossover for the 0.1. You would end up with a foot print far larger than a receiver. This project is just not practical.
My friend brought up an interesting point/question. Since the sound card is managing the bass etc, could in fact send the sub channel directly to the lfe on the sub and then run a 5 channel amp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, if your computer software can handle the bass management you could send the LFE/sub signal directly to the sub.

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
My friend brought up an interesting point/question. Since the sound card is managing the bass etc, could in fact send the sub channel directly to the lfe on the sub and then run a 5 channel amp?
Well. It does work. So maybe I just find decent 5 channel amp. Any suggestions?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Outlaw 5000x comes to mind but not a lot different from your current amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah. I have a lead on a B&K av5000 for about $200. Not sure how good they are though.
B&K has a decent reputation. That amp has an input sensitivity of 1.0V....what does your soundcard output?

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
The only rating I’m seeing is for the headphone amp output.

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
also see an Elan Z-660/661 about 75 miles from me for $100.

I guess the question is, is the Yamaha providing adequate power? Should I be giving the Focal's more? I just want make sure I'm giving them what they need to deliver their best.

Not sure how much power the Yamaha is actually providing.

My last option, i have some credit at a local company and could probably get a Marantz MM7055 with it.
just not sure that i need it.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis